Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2015 Ash Catcher on SS Performer MOD  (Read 5206 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
2015 Ash Catcher on SS Performer MOD
« on: October 06, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »
Ordered a brand new 2015 ashcatcher to put on my SS Performer.  Of course it wouldn't work because my kettle used the cross bar to hang the catcher ringer from the thumb crew one touch system.  I put in a new one touch system several months back and it worked fine with the older ash catcher as long as I didn't use the "H" washer since the crossbar basically took up the space the washer would.  My kettle leg mounts don't have the slits in them needed to hange a new ash catcher, so I just cut the tabs off of the catcher ring, then put it in place by drilling and riveting.  I really like the new catcher system...not having to twist the pan to get it to stay in place.

Here are the pics:

Old ash catcher assembly:

A few tools I had to pick up that I kind of needed to have in my tool bag anyway:

New ash catcher ring with leg tabs removed.  Used the hacksaw on the first one, then realized two quick bends back and forth with pliers would snap them right off:

"H" washer which I wasn't able to use with the old ash catcher back in place and a view of a rivet in one of the legs:

Other two rivets (I needed to add a washer because the rivets I got were a little too big):

Project completed:

Now I just need to use up the larger propane tank that came with my grill when I got it last spring and I can start using my new correct sized tank:

I am sure that someone is going to ask me about my old ash catcher, more specifically the metal bar for hangining it.  I have a friend that works in a fabrication shop, so I am going to see if he can take it in to work and have a few reproduced, then my old one is up for grabs.  Hopefully he can duplicate it so I'll have a few of them since they seem to be really hard to find these days.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: 2015 Ash Catcher on SS Performer MOD
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:34:12 AM »
Mike - nice mod.  Many people have had to do this for exactly the same reasons you did.  The use of rivets is a nice touch.

I hope you are successful in having some of the old style made.  @zavod44 has undertaken the same task and has had some aluminum ones made.  Check out this thread for ideas:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/mastertouch-stainless-perfornmer-ash-catcher-bars-for-sale/

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
Mike - nice mod.  Many people have had to do this for exactly the same reasons you did.  The use of rivets is a nice touch.

I hope you are successful in having some of the old style made.  @zavod44 has undertaken the same task and has had some aluminum ones made.  Check out this thread for ideas:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/mastertouch-stainless-perfornmer-ash-catcher-bars-for-sale/

Winz

Oh.  Think I saw this but didn't know they were in full production and sale.  My buddy like to do me favors since I'm always giving him leftovers so I'll see if he can make me one or two just to have around for potential trades, but other than that I won't step on @zavod44's toes!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
Nice mod saw it briefly on FB and was hoping you would post it here!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

shouston

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »
Anybody ever consider making a bar with the H cut in it instead of the hole? I don't do any metal work, but it seems like that would be an easy solution.
"Of course, when I talk about how much it costs to RRR the old Weber, I don't count the new cover and the upgrade grill grate, right? They were added after the first use, so they don't count.
Now I need a red one."

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:18:42 AM »
Anybody ever consider making a bar with the H cut in it instead of the hole? I don't do any metal work, but it seems like that would be an easy solution.

That would lock the one touch system in place so that it could not move back and forth.

shouston

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:39:21 AM »

That would lock the one touch system in place so that it could not move back and forth.

Of course it would. Kind of obvious now that you said it.  :-[
"Of course, when I talk about how much it costs to RRR the old Weber, I don't count the new cover and the upgrade grill grate, right? They were added after the first use, so they don't count.
Now I need a red one."

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:34:22 AM »
Nicely done mod!
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
Nice work and good pics.

The ash catcher are a diy fabrication process...it takes time if you dont have a metal bend machine..but def doable...ive made a few.

Again..nice work
Grills