Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Buying first Weber or akorn  (Read 5205 times)

frocco

• Happy Cooker
Buying first Weber or akorn
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:01:22 AM »
Hello,
New user and new to charcoal grilling.
I have been looking at the Performer Deluxe, Master Touch and chargriller akorn trying to make a decision.

Anyone have or used both?
Weber seems to have much more to offer in terms of cooking and accessories.

J Buck

• Happy Cooker
Re: Buying first Weber or akorn
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 06:23:46 AM »
While I have an interest in Kamado style grills, and I have looked that particular model over, I think for the money a Weber kettle will do everything that Chargriller will for half the money, and last a lot longer too.
JB

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:04:17 AM »
I have an Akorn and have not used it in over a year. I find that kamado calls for so little air flow to maintain low temps that smoking meat is problematic. I like my Kettles better. High heat smokes or grilling may be the Akorn's strong suit.....but I can do all that on a Kettle too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

frocco

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:47 AM »
Thanks,
I guess I will get the Weber Master Touch or Deluxe.
I like the fact that Weber allows you to do indirect heat better.

I did like the cast iron grates through.

Is it good enough to just get the searing grate insert?
I would think there is no need to have the entire grate cast iron.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:11:48 AM »
I've thought about the investment in a BGE or Akorn as well.

As a new user and new entrant into grilling, you're much better off, IMO, starting off with a Weber. 

Among other things, you're going to need want other accessories like tools, chimneys, thermometers, work tables, who knows what else.  The price tag will add up quick, and if you're like me, your wife loves the finished product but starts to think a night out at a nice restaurant might have been cheaper for her.

Start with a Weber Kettle, you can never go wrong with it.  It is easy to learn on, very forgiving of mistakes, adaptable to just about any method of grilling, smoking, or BBQ you want to try, and doesn't require the steep investment the ceramics will ask you to make. 

Once you've acquired your stable of tools and accessories, if you decide you still need want an Akorn, you'll have a much better idea of what you're looking for by then.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

frocco

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
Between the Weber Master Touch and Premium Deluxe is 200.00

Is getting the table and gas start worth it?

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:21:45 AM »
I would get a 26'r and never look back. Most people tend to start out with a 18 or 22 and eventually upgrade. Just start with the 26 and you will thank me later.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:50 AM »
Searing with cast iron is overrated in my opinion. A nice wide bed of coals....enough to extend past the outer edges of food a couple inches.....using the standard Weber cooking grate will give a beauty sear. If the sear is not sufficient use more coals piled higher for future cooks. Cast iron needs to be tended a lot....a lot more than the factory grate. I have the sear grate system and do use it sometimes.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »
I would get a 26'r and never look back. Most people tend to start out with a 18 or 22 and eventually upgrade. Just start with the 26 and you will thank me later.

I agree with this.  The 26er is so versatile, and it is a great way to learn fire management, offset cooking, anything.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
start withe a weber and learn about all you can do. i came close to getting a BGE,  but, it isnt going to do much more than a weber, more to maintain. the hinge on the bge is not stainless, and the felt gaskets need replacing. 

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »
If I were in your shoes I would get the 26" kettle to start with, very versatile, you have plenty of room to cook different things at one time or if you want to smoke you can have the standoff distance from the fire and do bigger cuts of meat.

Once you get the hang of things look on CL for a used Performer with gas assist that has been hardly used and then you can look for Kettles that are blue and red and........  ;D ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
I've used/cooked-on a basic Weber 22" OTS for many years.  What I've learned is: (1) Any size Weber kettle can create incredible food, (2) the OTG is a major improvement, (3) the Master-Touch is the next upgrade, and (4) the Performer Delux (or SSP) is best.  Yes, the touch ignition w/ a chimney starter is fast, clean, and easy.  Four wheels & a table give you stability and work space.   You can get er done on any of them, but look hard at the Performer Delux.  The 2015 comes with the warming tray accessory and in Copper (or Dark Blue), as well as Green.   This is not a Weber commercial though it reads like one :)
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 04:28:00 AM »

True here but if you start with an 18" or 22" then grabbing a 26" down the road adds to the stable! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

frocco

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »
I really do not have a large party to cook for. at most 6 people, so I cannot see spending for the 26"
I looked at the deluxe yesterday at 400.00 and the master touch at 200.00

It would be cheaper to get the master touch and a 45.00 table to work on.
plus the master touch had the warming rack.

the deluxe color was crimson, which looked nice.

since it has been raining, I plan on thinking about it a few days more.
still looking at the akorn also, but leaning more towards the weber.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »
my first weber was a new green mastertouch, and is still being used all these years later. after you start cooking on the grill, including veggies and side dishes, you will be sorry you didnt go for the 26 incher.