Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Smokenator Chicken is Dry - Please Help Me  (Read 7656 times)

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
My Smokenator Chicken is Dry - Please Help Me
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »
I have a 22.5" Performer with a Smokenator.  I tried smoking a whole chicken and it came out dry. 

I used the Smokenator and kept the water pan full.  I butterflied the whole chicken, and smoked it for 3.5 hours at around 225 degrees.  It came out done, and the meat was fairly tender, but way too dry.  It was like a dry sponge, with the juice sucked out of it.

I'm new to this and I'm seeking any advice.  Thanks.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: My Smokenator Chicken is Dry - Please Help Me
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Simple answer … Stop using the Smokenator.  Just my opinion.  Sorry to hear about your results, but at least it was edible, right.

Cook the chicken at 300-325°.  It will be done quicker, crispier skin, and it should be juicy.

Have a meat thermometer handy.  Preferred my most, if not all, is a Thermapen.  Take it to no more than 170° internal temperature.
Let rest for a spell, then dig in.  Keep trying as that is half the fun.   :D 8)

And, welcome to the WKC!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »
I agree with MacEggs on not using the Smokenator for smoking chicken like that. If you want to add smoke to yer yard bird just roast it like
one normally would cook a bird just add a small chunk or two of your favorite smoke wood to the fire and cook at 300 ~ 325 till it is about 165
in the area between the thigh and body. You use the Smokenator for other, longer low and slow cooks like pork butt, brisket or my fav, prime rib.

You might consider a buying rotisserie for the 22 and crank out some killer spun yard bird, super crispy skin and really juicy..

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 03:07:27 PM »
If you want to toss some smoke to the bird then smoke it for an hour or so at low temps. When it hits about 150f internal then grill it over some reduced coals to crisp up. Pull it when it hits 170f internal.

You probably cooked it too long and took it too far. The water pan will not add moisture to your food, only slow down the drying out process....a little.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »

Signature Line Alert!! ;D

...and welcome to the forum ed3120!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
My Smokenator Chicken is Dry - Please Help Me
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:16:56 PM »
As others have chimed in, whole chicken is best done at 300-325C. Brining also helps to keep the white meat moist. I do mine to around 165 in the thickest part of the thigh. I always brine my chickens and spin them on the rotisserie. They come out juicy and always a hit with the wife and son.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
I'm with Bbqmiller, my wife got me a rotisserie for my birthday last year, and I've never had a dry chicken with it. The rotisserie is worth the price for chicken alone.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
We were just talking about cooking chicken the other day without a rotisserie.

One thing I forgot to mention there is that my brine is just enough water to cover the bird and contains about a tablespoon of sugar and the same amount of kosher salt.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:14:52 AM »

Signature Line Alert!! ;D

...and welcome to the forum ed3120!

Didn't even think about that when I was pecking that reply out JC, May have to think about it..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »
Sorry about what happened to your bird.  Similar thing happened to me trying low and slow on chicken wings and legs.  I have to agree with what others are saying about the roti, I've cooked a couple Cornish hens and a plump roaster and both turned out great:  moist and crispy skins and just the right touch of smokiness. 

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »
I'm going to second the comment on soaking the chicken in a brine.  It definitely helps get flavor and moisture into the meat.  As others suggested to I wouldn't use the smokenator, build an 2 zone fire, and let it run in the 300 - 350 degrees are in the high heat zone, do most of the cooking of the chicken on the cooler zone and then move over to the high heat zone at the end to crisp up the skin.  You could also try Alton Brown's method of basically butchering the chicken and not cooking it whole, then building a ring of fire and as certain parts come close to done they sit in or ontop of a pie pan in the middle of the grate, where its cooler.  I bet if you googled it or looked on youtube you could find the video for it.   Its Season 14 episode 2.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Just to resonate some of the other responses... I like to brine my birds, spatchcock 'em, apply rub, cook indirect between 300-350, right before taking off I sear the skin directly over coals. For the indirect I use charcoal baskets on both sides of the chicken, center chicken on grate, place foil on charcoal grate under bird, bottom vent about 3/4 (depending how much charcoal you have). 

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Thanks for all of the wisdom, guys!!  I saw some videos of Smokenator chicken and they made it sound so easy...I thought I was just doing something wrong.  It's useful to know that I should aim more for 300-350.  I'm thinking on asking for a PartyQ temperature controller for Father's Day, so I think I'll ditch the Smokenator, build a 2 zone fire, and set the temp controller to 325.

About how long should it take to cook for a regular sized bird? (4-6 lbs?)  I have a Thermapen to measure, but I was just wondering a ballpark estimate.  60 mins? 90 mins? 120 mins?

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
I would lean towards the 90 minute mark for a 4 pounder. You'll learn soon enough time is somewhat irrelevant when BBQing/smoking, the meat has a mind of its own.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »
I have done a few birds on my kettle.  I cooked 'em low and slow, around 250.  I don't have a smokenator, and I don't have a rotisserie.  Also I don't spatchcock (butterfly) my chicken. 
My chickens have always come out juicy with a crisp skin.  IT around 165.
What I do is apply butter. I use a lot!  Coarse salt all over the bird.  I use about a handful for a 4 lb bird. then heavily sprinkle with Simon and Garfunkel rub (find the recipe on AmazingRibs.com). 
Fill the cavity with sliced Lemon, Thyme sprigs, Rosemary sprigs and Sage.   Put the bird on the grill with a water pan underneath.  Cook using the snake method and wood chips of your favorite flavor. 
I think you just cooked yours too long.  When butterflied it cooks wayyy faster.  Try  it again! Good luck!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie