Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Smokenator Chicken is Dry - Please Help Me  (Read 7657 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: My Smokenator Chicken is Dry - Please Help Me
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:14 AM »
Oh, I forgot to add.... don't worry about time as much as IT (internal temp).  And always take notes on your cooks.  Then next time you cook a xx size chicken you can refer to your notes and know it took xyz time to cook at such n such a temp.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 06:44:27 AM »
Hi there. EricD hit it right on the head. Butterflied, aka spatchcock, chicken will cook a lot faster. And you can't really think of cooking food items in a manner of hours per lb. A 10lb ball will take a lot longer to cook that a 10lb sheet because the conducted heat will take longer to travel to the center.

IMO, I don't believe the smokenator is the issue. It's just a tool that needs to be learned. You can just as easily destroy a cook with a roti or nothing at all. Learning your tools at hand will be your key to success. That being said, I personally do not have a smokenator and would have cooked that bird at around 325-350 for however long it took to get to 165-170. Or 180..depending on who I'm serving to. I have had "complaints" of the chicken not being cooked and or being a bit pink at where I find the chicken to be good. Despite my assurances it's cooked to temp, I bring up the temperature to avoid the initial shock from my guests. I'd rather do that then have them "concerned." I digress...  26r, snake, fire bricks, smoke chunks, 325-350, temp probe in the thigh, cook till done, hit it with thermapen to verify, rest till I get other food items plated and guests seated, carve and serve.

Now to another matter. I personally think it's not a good idea to have the temp controller when starting. I don't know your level of grill aptitude, but I feel like it may serve you better to get to know your cooker and how it reacts before you throw controls on it. If that thing fails in the middle of a cook and you don't know how to control your heat without it your fuqt. Get to know your grill first then add the tool on top if you feel you want it later or it will be a crutch. A maverick dual therm or a ThermoWorks dual therm would be money much better spent IMO. And you can use either one of those in the oven also.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 07:15:08 AM »
I hear ya on the learning your cooker.

So I guess the theory behind cooking the chicken is to get it up to the desired temperature (165-180 depending on preference) and then pull it right off?  It's not a case where you want to hold it there for a long time hoping for tissue breakdown to get softer meat?

I have more experience with ribs, where I smoke them for 225F for 6 hours.  I guess when you do that, you are doing the same thing, just over a long period of time.  I.e. slowly approaching a target temperature, rather than reaching a temperature and holding it.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
Chicken goes by different rules than beef or pork. The muscle structure and connective tissue is different. Get it to temp and pull it.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »
Chicken goes by different rules than beef or pork. The muscle structure and connective tissue is different. Get it to temp and pull it.

Good to know.  Thank you.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
If you want to toss some smoke to the bird then smoke it for an hour or so at low temps. When it hits about 150f internal then grill it over some reduced coals to crisp up. Pull it when it hits 170f internal.

You probably cooked it too long and took it too far. The water pan will not add moisture to your food, only slow down the drying out process....a little.

This advice is spot on.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 11:11:05 PM »
Butterflied, aka spatchcock, chicken ... around here we call that roadkill chicken.  Sit that bird upright proud and tall, on a pedestal like a beer can holder BUT w/o the beer can.  Leave the cavity empty so it can get heat.  Juiciest chicken done on Roti.  Best chicken done on holder w/ heavy smoke.  Leave your Smokenator for L&S cooks.  I use mine for ribs and turkey.  Best advice I've read so far "learn your tools, and enjoy the ride".   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 04:11:04 AM »
I use a simple braai.
Butterfly the chicken, cover in olive oil and spice of choice. Make the coals hot. Place a beer can cut in half in the coals (sometimes I use two) and cook for plus minus 20mins. Keep flipping it.
Put a knife into the thigh to check fir blood. If done properly the breasts remain juicy yet cooked.

It might look burnt but it's the olive oil and spices.
The water in the can boils and the mist it creates keeps the flame down.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »
You cook a whole chicken in 20 minutes? Wow.

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »
Fruit or veggies shoved into the cavity of a whole bird will give you plenty of moisture while you try to figure out the rest of the process. Lots or great advice above you'll be cooking juicy birds in no time.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »
@ed3120  Check out the Chicken Info on  AmazingRibs.com  ...  Meathead always has a point of view.    :) :) :)   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
You cook a whole chicken in 20 minutes? Wow.
It is a flatty that weights 2-3pounds. The coals must be HOT.
Keep basting it in olive oil and try to keep it bone side down longer than Mwa side down.
When I pull it off the coals are still hot enough to braai steak.
If you leave it too long it dries out, so you need to be attentive.
It's a Portuguese/Mozambiquan recipe and sort of rite of passage in our family.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk