Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork loin ribs ... potatoes ...  (Read 3109 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Pork loin ribs ... potatoes ...
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
I started this thread so that I would not take the ribs off too early. Ribs apparently take a while (ahem.)

5 red potatoes,

sliced and then seasoned with garlic powder, cilantro, ground mustard, coriander, salt,

with just over 1/2 stick of buttah and a small yellow onion sliced up,

1 chimney of charcoal, about half of which went into a basket on the 18,

ribs seasoned with The Squealer of whatever the hell that stuff is,

and onto the Smokey Joe, indirect, intake partly shut down and with foil under it on the grate. Small rack of ribs!

the chef, kicking back and delusional, feeling everything is smugly under control,

After an hour the ribs look they came out of the fridge. A low-and-slow wasn't really the intention here, but neither did I posses an actual "plan" ether. And so the "leftover" coals I didn't think I'd need are being re-lit and 'Joe opened up all the way,

Thanks to @chuck s ' deft toothpick-check it was learned the bottom potatoes were done but the top potato slices could go a little longer. I was all set to try and shuffle them around (aka "stir" them) when chuck s suggested a 2nd tray ... and a flip. Which is what we did. Back on the grill, this time also covered by the 2nd pan. 18er holding rock steady, still working on the same batch of coals and opened up full.

At about the 2 hr mark the potatoes were off and the ribs moved over onto the heat side. Showing some juice. There's an oven thermometer in there but I'll be damned if I can read it anymore,

Meanwhile, back under the Performer there's ...

... nothing going on. I'm not using it to cook food tonight. Why are you even looking in there?

Scout is not amused. This photo taken as proof she actually, sometimes, chews on something she should be chewing on.

Potatoes were really good! And completely consumed since there was nothing else to eat for dinner.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

Re: Pork loin ribs ... potatoes ...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »

That looks like a damn good seat ATS - and if the ribs come out anything like the potatoes you should be in for a treat... eventually 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »
Yeah eventually. They smell good at least.

3.5hrs into the ribs and they don't have much bend. And the SJ is about out of heat now. With some extra maneuvering I could have transferred the coals from the 18. But instead I put flame to a large leftover lump and tossed it into the mix.

In 20 mins it'll be a 4hr cook. I'm basically out of daylight now.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
You might still have a good 1.5-2hrs left :-\
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
It's been loosely covered with foil for the last hour or more. Just peeked, looking better but I don't know I'll stay up for it. The piece of lump probably didn't catch on much.

Tossed in the rest of the char from the 18, still warm--maybe 4 small briqs, nothing major. Tossed in a couple very small pieces of hickory to help spur something. Check it in an hour. It's basically cooked just not feeling tender.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 06:35:26 PM »
Pulled the ribs off just before 5hrs; it's a freakin' school night after all. Let them sit for a few, still loosely wrapped.

This is a nothing-pic, can't tell much I don't think,

So I cut through the first one, then the second ... the knife had really no resistance. It wouldn't droop from the tongs but it didn't matter, the meat basically fell off the bone. Me like. Me happy.

I devoured half of it. I've never had ribs like this, with dry (but not hard/overdone) bark and tender/juicy inside. Insane flavor, just the right amount of seasoning IMO. I've used this rub on pork before but not on ribs. Delicious.

So I'll be doing this again. And starting earlier. I really don't know how to tell when they're done however.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
They just may have been too short to droop?

Toothpick test will work here also.....probes no resistance, clear juice.....

Looks smashing !!!!

Try dry rib with no sauce or foiling on full spares sometime......need a bigger kettle than the Smokey, but it works just the same....crispy outside, hyper-juice inside.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »
Will do. This was a little short rack found at the store on sale, about 6, no more than 8 ribs. Actually looks shorter than a half rack. And so the SJ got the call this time.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:36:46 PM »
Ribs on a JJ (or 18" for that matter) I'm going to say mighty impressive for that little cooker.

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 03:30:30 AM »
Well you are persistent!  Like the ole guy said - "rather be lucky than good any day!"  Well done

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:39 AM »
"There's an oven thermometer in there but I'll be damned if I can read it anymore,"

Oil the glass face before you start coking....wipes right off......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 03:58:42 AM »
Too late for this thermometer but I'll try it on the next one, thanks for the tip 1buckie.

Also, I'm pretty sure the stain is behind the plastic, not on it. If you know of a brand or model that will hold up, hopefully with a glass front that won't cloud nor explode, let me know pls. Otherwise I'll just consider these a seasonal $6 expense and not worry.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 04:06:31 AM »
Those "Good Cook" brand from the grocery baking section do just fine......finally had one of the 5 go dud the other day after 4+ years of hard use......checked now & again, they come up +/- 5 degrees..........

PS: Pretty sure the face isn't plastic.....or maybe it is.....high-heat plastic?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 04:10:57 AM »
Not in stores here but easily found online, thanks again: http://www.goodcook.com/kitchen-gadgets/timers-thermometers-scales/stainless-steel-oven-thermometer-p-352.html

P.S. I watched the video. She's a little creepy. I fear her.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 04:16:09 AM »
Creepy Lady does say it's space-age plastic.......

"An oven thermometer.....BE THERE !!!"

......OK, I wouldn't want to any more fearful of you than I already am......