Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hex Bolt One Touch Cleaning Systems  (Read 15138 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Hex Bolt One Touch Cleaning Systems
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
after being forced to use a dremel to remove EVERY SINGLE HEX style system i've ever had to remove (6+), I strongly prefer the H style

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
after being forced to use a dremel to remove EVERY SINGLE HEX style system i've ever had to remove (6+), I strongly prefer the H style

A different vote....that's cool....... 8)

I just think that using pressure against the bottom of the kettle to hold it in place does not bode well over time.......
In a few years, when a lot of folks are replacing them, we'll see if the rocket surgeon who invented them still has a job !

I've replaced maybe 30 of them over many years, some twice & three times on the same kettle.......
I am the Samsonite Gorilla !!!
Angle grinder, 2 minutes max.....

The "H" style is right flush up against the body of the kettle & may prove dicey to remove without damage to the bell.....I could be wrong !?

I guess it would be OK if they have both available, so people can pick which they'd like......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »
I am not a every night griller so this is just what I heard and had some breif experience with.  It might have been covered in another thread also. 

It is all about the charcoal you use, kingsford has a lot of filler and clay.  When the ashes fall into the bowl and allowed to sit on the cleaning system, it absorbs mositure from the air and drippings.  It turns into a sloppy clay mixture, keeping your cleaning system bathing in a corrosive (fatty acids and salty marinates) wet mixture until you clean it out.  Natural wood chunks/chips or 100% wood charcoal burns into a fine powdery ash that does not absorb moisture like the clay ash of the kingsford charcoal. 

I use 100% wood charcoal and have not replaced my ash sweeps.  But I don't cook out as much either. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:46:11 AM by reillyranch »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
If an Ace hardware has the "H" set up, that would be a suprise to me. But out here in disposable California, they don't sell too many replacement parts in the stores.
In using either set up, I recommend that you put a small amount of grease on the handle where it slides into the connection, or for those hwo know, "Anti Sieze" And if you go with the  "Hex" set up, change the screw to SS. If you ever need to remove them, spray some WD-40 or a really good penetrating oil. Then leave ti alone for a few days. Repeat it.  I have had to cut out dozens of these things because they rust like theres no tomorrow.
The "H" drives are a bit trickier, but patience and knowledge are key to removal.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »

"The "H" drives are a bit trickier, but patience and knowledge are key to removal."

But what if I'm impatient?

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
Patience is a virtue..  Use the skills you learn from here to speed up the process..
Otherwise, your impatience is going to cost you money, pain and stress.
And not necessarily in that order. The "hex" drives are $12 at Amazon. If the grill is bad shape, cut it off and install a new one Its a 10 minute job. The "H" drives are more pricey, but rarely need replaced.  A little cleaning and good to go.  8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »
Patience is a virtue..  Use the skills you learn from here to speed up the process..
Otherwise, your impatience is going to cost you money, pain and stress.
And not necessarily in that order. The "hex" drives are $12 at Amazon. If the grill is bad shape, cut it off and install a new one Its a 10 minute job. The "H" drives are more pricey, but rarely need replaced.  A little cleaning and good to go.  8)

Thanks for that.....

From up above:  ^^^^^^^^

"I've replaced maybe 30 of them over many years, some twice & three times on the same kettle.......
I am the Samsonite Gorilla !!!
Angle grinder, 2 minutes max....."

That was a joke....
I'm the most patient person you will ever know..... :)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
Ok this might sound strange, but I unscrew and rescrew my hex bolt on my sweeper 1 to 2 times a season, out of fear it will rust and fuse. I too had to Dremel out my orignal one, it was not one of my favorite things to do.

Craig

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
To remove the old sweep, I just use a hacksaw to cut it flush with the bottom of the bowl.  A quick tap of the hacksaw handle on the remaining nut, and it pops right out.  I like my power tools as much as the next guy, but sometimes an old-fashioned cordless, batteryless tool is just the thing.

I definitely prefer the newer 'H' style.  Can't speak to its longevity, obviously, but I like the way the sweep handle stays locked into position instead of twisting all around like the thumbscrew type.  I have always gotten mine directly from Weber.  They sometimes have a hard time finding them, so mention part #90993 if you want the 'H' type.  They are like 11 bucks before shipping. 

(oh, and speaking of ordering from Weber, if you are looking for a fresh set of the stamped-metal char baskets, make sure you buy them individually-- part #62423 is a single basket for about 3 bucks.  If you order a set in the fancy box, they will cost about 15 bucks.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
I just stick with the stainless H style. It's a one time buy and there's never any cutting involved. When there is I use a sawzall.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 07:44:29 PM »
I definitely prefer the newer 'H' style.  Can't speak to its longevity, obviously, but I like the way the sweep handle stays locked into position instead of twisting all around like the thumbscrew type.  I have always gotten mine directly from Weber.  They sometimes have a hard time finding them, so mention part #90993 if you want the 'H' type.  They are like 11 bucks before shipping. 

So this is not the same "H" style part that can be had on Ebay/Amazon?

Danny C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 07:47:40 PM »
The model number on the box is 7409, but weber part number is 307409  for the  hex kit I bought one about a month ago from weber, weber still has them for 14.99 on page 2 of the open ash catcher parts.Weber.com replacement parts. http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1301
Danny
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:06:16 PM by Danny C »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
If you have Amazon Prime, the 7409 is $12 before Tax.
If Weber sells the H set, I am pretty sure its 9072., not 90993.

And "Thanks" Mike, the price of the baskets is fantastic!  Part 62423.

AJ

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 07:10:03 AM »
Sorry if I'm giving misleading parts numbers.  Those are the numbers (#90993) that worked for me this fall when I was ordering. 

I stand corrected. 
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

From reillyranch:
" When the ashes fall into the bowl and allowed to sit on the cleaning system, it absorbs mositure from the air and drippings.  It turns into a sloppy clay mixture, keeping your cleaning system bathing in a corrosive (fatty acids and salty marinates) wet mixture until you clean it out. "

From AJ:
"In using either set up, I recommend that you put a small amount of grease on the handle where it slides into the connection, or for those hwo know, "Anti Sieze" And if you go with the  "Hex" set up, change the screw to SS. If you ever need to remove them, spray some WD-40 or a really good penetrating oil. Then leave ti alone for a few days. Repeat it. "

"Can't speak to its longevity, obviously, but I like the way the sweep handle stays locked into position instead of twisting all around like the thumbscrew type."

All these things make a lot of sense.....

I'm still not completely sold on the "H" type, as they use the bottom of the kettle directly as a pressure point, just doesn't seem right.....

Maybe I'm just old & set in my ways...... :)