Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Snake on 18" Kettle  (Read 1749 times)

PatioQ

• Happy Cooker
Charcoal Snake on 18" Kettle
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:33:06 AM »
Getting ready for my first cook on a restored 1984 18" brownie. 

What would work for 225-250 as far as building the snake.  2 wide 2 hight, or?

And yes, I have never used a charcoal snake before.   

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: Charcoal Snake on 18" Kettle
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:01:22 AM »
It really depends on your area and the weather.  Typically though in my 22.5 I do 2 x 2 snake.  Meaning 2 rows on the bottom and 2 rows on the top.  Now when its extra windy or extra cold out or both I some times add a 3rd layer of just 1 row. 

Usually what works for me is to have the 2 x 2 snake, and have my bottom vents cracked just a little more than a hair open.  I typically have my top vent some where between 1/4 - 1/2 open.  Once I get it dialed in that will hold in the 225 area for me.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal Snake on 18" Kettle
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »
John's idea is easily workable.....I like to let more airflow thru & stack less coal to get at a lower heat....

Here's 2 & 1 in a daisy wheel 22"......

Build the line most all the way around.....if you don't need it to go all the way, just break the chain....

Some chips of lump for "burn insurance".....

All vents mostly full open....top always open gets a good strong throughput of air....blue burn, pushing out the top vent is a good thing to look for....

Even this started out a little slow....200.....

Pushed some coals / wood up a bit after 1/2 hour to get things going a bit better.....

Now it's moving better....

Ran right around 260 or a bit above for as long as needed....

This was a sunny, but not too hot of a day....and a good size load of meat....

That will have the most effect at the start as the cooker has to catch up with the cold load that goes on.....
Would suggest that you set up, lite & wait about 20 minutes (a smidge longer if it's real cold outside) to see where you're at...then add the food........this gets the bell of the kettle heated.....you can even let the temp go up a little higher right at the start & let the meat bring it down a bit......

Now, like John said.....wind, outside temp, direct sun, any differences from our descriptions & your situation will have some effect on your cook......

Do your best to not be lifting the lid & getting nervous, but when you do, look for 5~7 coals burning....

That should produce a decent low temp, on an 18, with vents pinched some, top vent open to freely exhaust.....that's a pretty tight guess & whatever happens, NO freaking out !!!!

Any changes, make a move & wait....10 minutes or so....then see if it went to where you wanted....make a move, wait...make a move, wait..... 8)

I tend to check 1/2 hr. in....then a few hours in.....then *a long time in* .....meaning could be the next morning or what I'll guess would be within an hour of the end of the cook......

This one came out peachy.....

An 18 is also a smaller, more tightly compacted cooking area....makes a little difference there too.....
however, they'll do pretty much anything you can fit in there....it's a WEBER !!!!

Most of all have fun !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"