Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?  (Read 7219 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:09 AM »
I like gadgets. I know from this forum that there are plenty of others here that are the same.  But there are some gagdety things and methods that I finally came to realize weren't worth trouble. I'm not against gadgets, I'll probably add and subtract many more of them over the years. But I'm curious about what products or methods you got rid of and why?

Let's try not to ridicule what others like, for instance the Smokenator or stuff like that. Some of us Love them, some of us think they are overkill. This is just about what you outgrew.

So, to get the ball rolling, for me it was the Kettle Pizza and Rib-o-lator. They are both great products and you can make some great food with them. But I found them a lot more trouble than my busy life can take right now. That's why I sold them to fellow club members here.

A technique I don't use anymore is beer can chicken. I love making upright chicken,  but I just don't use the actual beer can.

How about you?

FYI - I also added the opposite discussion here --- http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/what-equipment-or-methods-did-you-use-to-think-was-a-gimmick-but-now-use/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:06:56 AM by Mark Schnell »

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Re: What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
I received a jalepeno rack for Christmas. I've used it once and I'm not sure how much I like it. I think I prefer the halved jalepenos instead of the cored ones. You just can't get as much smoke on the meat when you do it this way. Since I've only used it once I'm going to try to use it again and try some different things but so far I'm not loving it. 
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
Water in the water pan of the WSM...
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
Soaking wood chips/chunks. Too much white smoke for my liking. Not enough thin blue smoke..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:16 AM »
i outgrew mustard slathering ribs and butts.
I outgrew injecting butts, at least most of the time. There are occassions where I'll inject, but its rare.

Totally outgrew chips, chunks only for me. (Having access to a huge variety of woods really helps)

I also outgrew the rib-o-lator, especially after it dumped two trays of chicken thighs into the charcoal the last time I used it.

polishmartin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »
These type of sets (especially the tongs) - I know I'm not the only one:

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »

I'm trying to drop that one...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »

for me, doing a bunch of large catering jobs really helped.
one time i was smoking 8 butts for a big graduation party. halfway through the prep I ran out of yellow mustard.
with only half of the butts mustard slathered, I decided it was the perfect test to see if it really makes a difference.

i kept them identified and gave them equal smoker distribution.
when I pulled them, I kept them separate as well.

The ONLY difference I could find was the texture of the bark and it was incredibly hard to detect. I couldn't taste any difference (and I'm a super taster)
I asked several of the party goers which one they preferred - none could tell the difference

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 02:10:33 PM »

one time i was smoking 8 butts for a big graduation party. halfway through the prep I ran out of yellow mustard.
with only half of the butts mustard slathered, I decided it was the perfect test to see if it really makes a difference.

The ONLY difference I could find was the texture of the bark and it was incredibly hard to detect. I couldn't taste any difference (and I'm a super taster)
I asked several of the party goers which one they preferred - none could tell the difference

Do you use oil instead or just rub direct on meat?
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »

Do you use oil instead or just rub direct on meat?

i just rub directly on meat.
and by rub, i really mean sprinkle on and pat it down so it sticks. I don't massage the meat

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »
These type of sets (especially the tongs) - I know I'm not the only one:

I have that exact set!!!

Imagine that.......

Well meaning step-daughter...... :-*
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 02:54:25 PM »

The mustard will not change the taste, but will tenderize the bark & very outside meat.....it's the vinegar component in it.....

I outgrew mustard slather after trying it (in a precision test environment) twice....

Here's how it goes now:

Not being one to leave well enough alone.............

8:05 PM....decide to go ahead & cook for a potluck tomorrow, even though i was feeling shitty....
Hem & haw for 3 minutes, move stuff around, lite leftover coals 1/4 chimney..........
8:08 ~ 8:15, load two kettles with rings & wood...........

8:16 ~ 8:19....set in lit coals to start burn & heat cookers.....

8:19 ~ 8:29......score fatcap & rub butts......

8:30....set meat in......

Temp....225 on one, 230, the other one......this will rise as it gets rolling, shooting for 260 approx.

25 minutes to set 15# of pork........dogs are excited.....

PS: those are not drip pans.....they're holding space for beans..........................

*** usually it's a better idea to let the stuff sit for a time & have the moisture of the meat melt the rub to where it's even a bit liquidy.....some people do that, then add another thin coat of rub onto the thing to thicken it even more......

I spent a lot of time watching how K.A.M. & others at Smoke Ring did theirs & how they made adjustments over time.....good to watch folks who do the stuff almost daily to find out what gives.....

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
  But.....the big "gadget" I really outgrew is worrying about shit.......

I realize that's knd of vague & wide-ranging, but hey....... :o

That single element ruins more BBQ than anything......just look thru any post, any forum where someones having trouble with really anything & 'worry' is the central "X" factor......

There's some mechanical things.....but I have to think about them first.......

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
I gave up trying to keep my go-to cooker clean. I'm lucky if I remember to empty the ash bucket - usually when I can't sweep any more ash down the OT slots. Once it cools off the cover goes on and I don't bother with the ash or salvageable charcoal until I'm ready to fire it up again. As much as I like a pristine looking grill, there's a certain liberation in just using the hell out of a grill (for me it's a Performer) and not giving a second thought to how it looks. I suppose I'll clean it up again someday, but I won't lose any sleep if that day is next month or next year. Weber made these things to be well used and well loved. Reminds me of a bicycle company I respect for many of the same reasons. (Rivendell) They have a word for it that I think applies to our sport: "Beausage" = a special kind of beauty that can only come from usage. So put down the razor-scrapers and steel wool for at least one of your kettles. You'll make just as many memories with it, and it might just become the one people remember you by.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »
Buckie and Marty, I LOVE your posts. Makes me wonder if all that worry is what might drive all the gadgets. You know, that idea of always wanting to find the next big thing that's gonna make the cook better.

Beausage - Love it!!

Buckie, your no nonsense approach is why I have always loved you posts and the cooks that you do.