Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?  (Read 7220 times)

fedex

• WKC Ranger
Re: What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »
These type of sets (especially the tongs) - I know I'm not the only one:

I have that exact set!!!

Imagine that.......

Well meaning step-daughter...... :-*

LOL I have it also.  Xmas 2012 from Wifey.  Still in the box in the shed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:17:31 AM by fedex »
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 04:38:51 AM »
I'm in the minority but I don't use the charcoal baskets at all. I don't care about the crazing. I haven't seen any signs of it but these are my cookers. I don't have any show pieces so I don't worry about it.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 04:56:19 AM »
I don't really have many gadgets, mostly cause I don't have the spare cash to throw at them.  Put me in the group that stopped using mustard as well, I didn't care for the flavor it added.  I did replace it with olive oil though, and just a tiny amount.  I mostly only do it on ribs to help the rub stick to them better.  I'm also with Buckie on the worrying less.  When the weather permitted I used to sit outside right by my Weber for the entire cook, and every little temperature change there I was making adjustments.  It wasn't needed, now as long as the Weber is humming along with in 10 maybe 15 degrees of where I want it, I don't mind.  Little up ticks and drops in temps of that range will happen and its ok.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »
Buckie, where did you get that branding iron? I need that exact one for my daughter, Kate. She's almost ten and loves my grilling and eats meat like a t-rex, but she's adamant that she doesn't want pepper on stuff. I usually do my burgers and steak with just kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. It's hard to tell burgers and steaks apart after they get some charring on them and I was thinking I needed a K iron.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »
Buckie, where did you get that branding iron? I need that exact one for my daughter, Kate. She's almost ten and loves my grilling and eats meat like a t-rex, but she's adamant that she doesn't want pepper on stuff. I usually do my burgers and steak with just kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. It's hard to tell burgers and steaks apart after they get some charring on them and I was thinking I needed a K iron.

The wife got it on a trip to Texas.....pretty sure it was at the "Home of the 72oz. Steak" 'cause that's where they stayed up & back....I'll find out for sure when she wakes up....... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 07:10:20 AM »
Hey !!!

Look at this one....moveable type...means you can write a "Note to Self" right on your meat !!!

http://www.amazon.com/CobraCo-Mark-It-Branding-Removable-MM102/dp/B000FEVWRQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K35TE2P0516Y3HXKR74
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:39 AM »
Hey Tim, I went directly to the Texas Irons website and saved .28 cents overs Amazon and they offered free shipping there too. Saved over five bucks and my K brand is on its way!!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »

OK, I have a "R" iron.

Besides "K", what other letters do we have?

Maybe we can spell something with different pictures of meat    8)
Dude, relax your chicken.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 09:07:19 AM »
I got my branding iron a few years back in a store, and paid more than that. Who knew they would be online.

Sheesh I needed to find this place sooner.

there was a place that sold grate fences a while back, I got over them pretty quick, and there is another that sells charcoal boxes that have a controled back and forth burn like the snake, I looked at those once but decided against them
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »
I have to say my main 'gimmick' that I outgrew would be the gas assist on my Performer.  I usually cook with more than one grill so it isnt very convenient to try to get 2 chimneys of charcoal going or an additional one.  Starter cubes are cheap and easy to use.   I have also moved away from smoking chips as they are pointless along with soaking.  Now I use chunks.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Craig

• WKC Mod
What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 10:24:28 AM »
As convenient as the flip up grates are, I actually prefer the old style non flips (pre 2010) with the thicker bars etc.. Yes it is a pain to add coals if need be but IMO the old non flips seem to be more solid. I do use the flip on my Crimson gold or if I use my gourmet grate system. One "gadget" that I see as more of a Godsend rather than a gimmick is the Happy Cooker internal ash pan. Two words: LOVE. IT.  I don't think I will ever outgrow that fine piece of equipment. Works famously.  Only time it's not employed is when I haul out a Goldie..

I still thank 1buckie every time I use it. ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:26:48 AM by Craig »

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 01:43:28 PM »
@Craig If you want a nice "flip up" cooking grate and you have a Menards near you, check out http://www.menards.com/main/p-2452239.htm also available in 18.5" 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)