Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?  (Read 7217 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: What Equipment or Methods Did You "Outgrow"?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
I outgrew many things, but I never get rid of any thing. There is always an alternate use for gadgets other than what they were intended for.

For example
This pizza grill became a spit stand to load on the meat

Took these legs from old cookie cooling racks to make hovering grates

Old car jacks make perfect Rotisserie stands :)

That’s why I keep old tools and gadgets, there are endless things that I can do with them :)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
  But.....the big "gadget" I really outgrew is worrying about shit.......

I realize that's knd of vague & wide-ranging, but hey....... :o

That single element ruins more BBQ than anything......just look thru any post, any forum where someones having trouble with really anything & 'worry' is the central "X" factor......

There's some mechanical things.....but I have to think about them first.......

@1buckie that is the bbq mantra I'm trying to follow. Don't stress it. Not there yet, but I'm working towards it.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
Innovation, testing out a different approach, the seeking of a more fine-tuned way of going about things all drives the gadgets & use of them....

There's not a thing wrong with that, but food over fire is also extremely simple....

Cave people did the meat over fire thing...and told stories....that's how mythologies develop......

Bet they told a few stories just about the meat over the fire in addition to everything else......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
Gotta figure Z would have some great input here !!!

We're going to need a few more pics of these:

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
Thanks 1buckie :)
Took the legs off of these racks

And put them on round grates that I recycled from an old smoker

I put two of them on the lower rack of my WSM

And one on top of the top rack

That gives a total of 5 grates so I can load the smokers with bunch of wings or sausage :)

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 10:14:29 AM »
For me the performer gas assist. I thought it would be cool but I like to sit out on my patio with a beer waiting for the coals. My patio gets entirely too smokey using the gas assist. I would rather start a chimney away from the grill and bring it over when its ready. As for the rest of it, I LOVE gadgets!! Rib-o-lator, rotisserie, kettle pizza....etc. Bring em all on! I could spend the whole day tinkering around and trying out new gadgets. Most of the time there is a bit of a learning curve, that's probably what I like about them most. I still cook without gadgets most of the time, but I do enjoy using them too.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
I gave up trying to keep my go-to cooker clean. I'm lucky if I remember to empty the ash bucket - usually when I can't sweep any more ash down the OT slots. Once it cools off the cover goes on and I don't bother with the ash or salvageable charcoal until I'm ready to fire it up again. As much as I like a pristine looking grill, there's a certain liberation in just using the hell out of a grill (for me it's a Performer) and not giving a second thought to how it looks. I suppose I'll clean it up again someday, but I won't lose any sleep if that day is next month or next year. Weber made these things to be well used and well loved. Reminds me of a bicycle company I respect for many of the same reasons. (Rivendell) They have a word for it that I think applies to our sport: "Beausage" = a special kind of beauty that can only come from usage. So put down the razor-scrapers and steel wool for at least one of your kettles. You'll make just as many memories with it, and it might just become the one people remember you by.
+1

i may clean it once a year.  maybe
I only use kettles with lid bales.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
I out grew the hang on tool holder along with the hang on slide aside lid holder. It seemed like I could never close the lid properly when using both at the same time. After that even using one at a time botherd me that I was not getting a tight fit. It could just be all in my head.
May The Smoke Be With You!

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
For me the performer gas assist. I thought it would be cool but I like to sit out on my patio with a beer waiting for the coals. My patio gets entirely too smokey using the gas assist. I would rather start a chimney away from the grill and bring it over when its ready. As for the rest of it, I LOVE gadgets!! Rib-o-lator, rotisserie, kettle pizza....etc. Bring em all on! I could spend the whole day tinkering around and trying out new gadgets. Most of the time there is a bit of a learning curve, that's probably what I like about them most. I still cook without gadgets most of the time, but I do enjoy using them too.

Me too :)
This is my preferred way to start charcoal.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »
I outgrew many things, but I never get rid of any thing. There is always an alternate use for gadgets other than what they were intended for.

For example
This pizza grill became a spit stand to load on the meat

Old car jacks make perfect Rotisserie stands :)

That’s why I keep old tools and gadgets, there are endless things that I can do with them :)

I like your style! Thanks for posting these ideas.  I'll make that steamer ring work on something if it kills me!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:52:21 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »

I like your style! Thanks for posting these ideas.  I'll make that steamer ring work on something if it kills me!

Weren't you the one that didn't like the steamer ring to start with?   :D

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »

Weren't you the one that didn't like the steamer ring to start with?   :D

YES! I'm thinking of cutting it in two and bolting/riveting spacers and using it as a rotis ring. Keep you posted!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
Thanks @swamprb :)
I like your style too!!

The ring is good for at least this application :)
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/2-beer-can-chickens-on-the-jj/

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:45:36 AM by BBcue-Z »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »
OK....thought about some more.....

The non-flipup, standard grate is one I've got almost completely away from using......calling the flip-up a gadget, I guess, but really like to be able to access the coals....not merely for adding, but to add wood & even more importantly, to see what's going on.....

I find it really tough to heat your branding irons with a regular grate....

Become somewhat dependent on certain setups that need to have it up....

So far, I've had some mixed results with the 26" 'cause that's what there is to work with........
Just set the coals in zones & go for it....like they did in the olden days I guess......

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
I gave up trying to keep my go-to cooker clean. I'm lucky if I remember to empty the ash bucket - usually when I can't sweep any more ash down the OT slots. Once it cools off the cover goes on and I don't bother with the ash or salvageable charcoal until I'm ready to fire it up again. As much as I like a pristine looking grill, there's a certain liberation in just using the hell out of a grill (for me it's a Performer) and not giving a second thought to how it looks. I suppose I'll clean it up again someday, but I won't lose any sleep if that day is next month or next year. Weber made these things to be well used and well loved. Reminds me of a bicycle company I respect for many of the same reasons. (Rivendell) They have a word for it that I think applies to our sport: "Beausage" = a special kind of beauty that can only come from usage. So put down the razor-scrapers and steel wool for at least one of your kettles. You'll make just as many memories with it, and it might just become the one people remember you by.

This is me with my black OTS.  I will clean out the ashes, but I don't worry about much else.  It is a used one I got off CL for $20 but it is my go to grill.  It now has some semblance of sentimental value even though I have newer and nicer Webers.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit