Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do I cook a steak?  (Read 4716 times)

tfsjake

• Happy Cooker
How do I cook a steak?
« on: January 15, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
I see tons of different methods here, and I honestly don't know which to use...

I have at my disposal: A 22 OTG, a 'new' Jumbo Joe, cast iron and SS grates for both, and two Lodge skillets (ribbed and not). 

What would be your choice for cooking 1" thick steaks?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How do I cook a steak?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
1.5 inch steaks with reverse sear
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »
I'm a sear and slide guy, unless i'm cooking 5+ big steaks.
Get your grates hot. Hot coals, open vents, leave the lid closed for 5-10 minutes so the grates are hot.

salt and pepper your steaks 5 minutes before cooking
lightly oil (EVOO) before putting them on the grill.
put them on and CLOSE THE FREAKING LID. Open flame = BAD
Your flip time is going to depend on your heat and your grates, not the thickness of the steak.
Flip when you get the color and crust that you desire.
If your steaks are thick and need to continue cooking after you have the color and crust desired on both sides, move to indirect heat to finish cooking.

With reverse sear, you can get a more even cook, but you don't get as much of that great grilled flavor that comes from animal fat dripping into the coals and producing beef smoke.
To me, that flavor is what makes grilled steak great.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
I've been practicing on grilling since I came here, as there's a lot of folks who know their stuff to learn from......

Like Mr. Boltz says, reverse sear is good for the thicker ones....you'll even see the people that LOVE reverse sear say that it's works much better  (or is only necessary) on thick ones......

Troy's got a great rundown right there for what you want to do.....about the same way I'd do it......

Either your cast or stainless will get a good solid sear if, like he said, they are HOT.....
Given the choices you stated, I'd use the 22" with the stainless, banked coals on one side, good & hot......
Just have a good lower heat zone to move to.....

I have never done that much gas grilling so this extra hot thing is a learning curve here......I tend to think if it's too hot it'll just burn, but that ends up not really being the case......extra hot is fine, just vary the time spent over the hot area & watch for the right color / crust that looks good to you....

Hope this helps some & just ask more if not !!!

PS: I can also provide several threads of mine on what NOT to do, if you'd like...... :o

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:55:51 PM »
I am going to go a different route here. Lately what I do is put 8-12 half tennis ball size chunks of oak or hickory on the charcoal grate then add the started charcoal on top. I leave it burn for a few minutes then add the cooking grate. I let the wood burn down till the flames are almost out then add my steaks or burgers. I have a small section dedicated to offset cooking but most of the grill is for direct cooking. I do not put the lid on till I go indirect. I cook my beef over the coals and dying chunks for longer than if I had the lid on. What I gain is smoke taste and while my crust is not as deep as when I go with the lid closed it is good. If I need to use the offset space of the grill I have it ready. Lately my burgers and steaks are tasting mighty good. It might take me 13-14 minutes to cook a big t-bone and 8-9 minutes on a burger.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »
I'm a hot and fast griller when it comes to steaks.  First thing I'll do is 30 minutes before the steak goes onto the heat is take it out of the refrigerator and season it.  I cover it in enough kosher salt that it looks like it was snowed on, and then add on some cracked black pepper, and just let it sit on the counter for that 30 minutes.  Reasoning for this is to get some protein rich moisture to the surface to get a nice crust on it, and to get it to take the shortest thermal journey it can.  I get my coals roaring hot, as hot as I possible can get them.  I slap that sucker right onto the hottest part of the grill.  How long I cook it depends on the cut of steak, and how thick it is.  A 1 inch steak with a hot enough grill is probably only going to be 2 maybe 3 minutes a side tops for a rare, maybe another 30 - 60 seconds a side for medium.   I don't turn her, she only moves the one time I flip her.  Then I let her rest on a cooling rack for like 5 - 10 minutes.

Thats for my taste though, I like a nice crust on the outside, with a warm red interior. 

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:45:16 AM »
I have 3 broke bricks (1/2 brick )  I set on the charcoal grate (22 ssperf ) and put a second charcoal grate on top of the bricks /// I start the charcoal on the second grate  // when coal are gray I scatter them out on grate and put  the cooking grate on  // the coal will only be 1/4 - 1/2 inch below the grate  /// I season my steak with spicy montreal steak seasoning ( McCormick )  after the grate gets good n hot I put the steak on over the coals and close the lid  /// for a 2 in steak I flip after 4 minutes cook 4 more minutes /// after that I get the long thongs out and hold it upright and  brown the sides letting it flame up and sizzle moving it around to keep it from continuous  flames after I get the sides brown enough // I poke the meat to test doneness  and move to indirect heat to finish       

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
Make sure you 'temper' your steaks-- take them out of the fridge and let them come up to room temp over the course of an hour or two. 
One of the charcoal people.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
Lots of good info here. My best tip is when you initially put the lid on, slide it to the side a few inches for more airflow and maximum temperature (about 10 - 15 minutes should do).

With 1 inch steaks, I have all the coals on one side and piled high (I like big fires for steaks).
Throw them on, cover, 45 seconds later turn 45 degrees for nice grill marks. Another 45 seconds flip. Repeat process for the other side. This gives me medium rare.

My favorite steak is just Lawry's, pepper and a little pat of butter about 30 seconds before complete. Another one I like to do is just marinade the steak in teriyaki sauce for a few hours, add a little kosher salt and pepper - done.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:51:09 PM by AZ Monsoon »

Brickout

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 07:08:35 PM »
Make sure you 'temper' your steaks-- take them out of the fridge and let them come up to room temp over the course of an hour or two.

I temper my steaks in the freezer. Pat dry with paper towels. Kosher salt to taste and coat with corn starch and 45minutes in the freezer for 1inch steak. 1 hr for 1 1/2inch. The reason for this is to dry the surface for maximum sear time. This allows to the steaks to be on for a lot longer and develop a wicked sear grate crust without overcooking. 10-12 minutes then flip. I go for rare/medium rare. 129F with the thermapen.

Full chimney raging hot under my sear grate.

I only do this when I have the time to do it.  It's a process but it works well. Usually I go for a thinner cut ribeyes...room temp. I can have em on the table pretty damn quick when the woman is hungry.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:59:41 AM »
Here is another good read-

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/how-to-grill-a-steak-guide-food-lab.html

I got some Grass Fed Ribeye roasts and was not used to the flavor, so I've taken to salting them as described in the article and they come out flavorful every time.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:29 PM »
guess I will put in my 2 cents here

now when I cook steaks I like them 1 3/4 to 2 inches thick

get them home and put them in a ziplock and set them in the frig for a few days flipping several times a day. This actually makes the blood move back and forth in them and ages a bit.   then put them in a marinading tub, you know one of those plastic containers with a bottom so the marinade can get under the steaks. pour in marinade and put in frig, flip several times over the next 24 hours

A bit n marinades, the ones you buy usually have MSGs in them, look for one that does not or make your own, they are simple to make.
A marinade should be high in acid so it works on the steak.

now about the grill, set it up half and half, or half direct and half not, you want a nice hot area for the sear, and once seared we are going to slow down the cook for tender

We take the steaks out about 2 hours before the cook and let them come to room temp, no use having a cold interior in that steak. Season the steaks

then slap them on the direct side and sear either side for about 90 seconds, move to the other side of the grill, insert a electronic temp probe into the thickest part of the steak and set the alarm at 130 F. I like to pour the remaining marinade on the steaks at this time.  when it goes off take the steaks off wrap in foil and set on the cutting board for 5 to 10 minutes to rest. During the rest all the juices that have been pushed out by the contraction of the muscle during cooking goes back in as the muscle relaxes as it cools a bit

Grill some squash and zucchini over the direct side as you wait

now the controversial side of this

to cut or serve whole

I prefer cutting on a slant across the grain, putting on a platter in the middle and everyone just serves themselves, especially with flank steak or something like that. If we are doing sirloins I usually serve whole

the important steps are: marinate, sear and then cook slow, at 130 take off and rest.

the rest of it is up to your style and taste in grilling
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:16:05 PM by Jammamto »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Here is another good read-

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/how-to-grill-a-steak-guide-food-lab.html

I got some Grass Fed Ribeye roasts and was not used to the flavor, so I've taken to salting them as described in the article and they come out flavorful every time.
fantastic read
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline