Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Parts and Service rant  (Read 4724 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Weber Parts and Service rant
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »
My experience with Weber parts and service is always at the extremes of the spectrum.  When I ordered a new copper bowl/lid to drop in a SS performer frame, I had to do all kinds of justifications as to why I was ordering it.  More recently, I was purchasing SS ash sweeps and was warned that “they will not fit my grill”.  The Weber rep went so far as to document that the “customer ordered the parts even though they were warned the parts would not fit the grill”.  And lets face it – when trying to track down part numbers so you can place an order for any Weber replacement part, the Weber website is the least helpful resource you can use.

I get it.  They want customers to order the correct parts to fit their grills and continue to be happy customers.  They certainly don’t want off-center people like me ordering weber parts so they can hook their performer propane tank to a home made potato gun mounted on a performer cart allowing said griller to shoot potatoes off the deck while grilling (sorry for that tangent, just thinking out loud).  After all, when the propane gun catches fire and burns the house, the headline will read "Grilling accident leaves family homeless". 

But to give a stern warning that an ash sweep won’t fit my OTG system?  To make me beg for the part despite "all the risks".  Give me a break.

But just when I am about to give up on them, something like this happens:  I need a new bowl vent for an older 18.5 kettle.  I find out from this forum that the 18.5 WSM bowl vents are exactly the same and will work for my application (thanks AJ).  I call Weber and order replacement bowl vents for an 18.5 WSM (that I don’t own, but know that I have to say I have one to get the parts). 

Weber then proceeds to send me the replacement vents.  Free of chargeWith free shipping.The very next day.

Jekyll and Hyde, that Weber company....

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Parts and Service rant
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
Seems to depend on the person on the other line.....I hate to say it but if you arent getting good service, cancel your order and call again.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »

Damn The Potato Guns !!!

Full Speed Ahead !!!!

Winz, you've been around long enough to know that using an incorrect ash sweep (which are all identical except for material & attachment system) can be hazardous (don't use around small children or pets, etc.)

this can be true :
"the Weber website is the least helpful resource you can use.'

So can this :
"  Free of charge.  With free shipping..  The very next day."

They're just like the IRS.....don't like the answer you're getting, politely hang up, call back at a different time, day after tomorrow & you'll likely find the second instance from above.....which has been the standard for MOST cases for many years.....these new fangled answers are a little strange, but they are getting bigger & bigger as we speak...............Stu's right on !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Yep, most of the customer service quality from companies depends on the person on the other end of the phone.

I love the smell of a evening cook...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
I agree with you Winz, it does seem a strange customer service setup at Weber
Us Aussies have learnt to ring and ask for a specific person
If she is not available , I'll call back the next day
It also helps that she is an active member of this forum and understands our illness
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
I feel you, Winz.  The last time I placed an order I gave them the part number for their hand-held cheap digital thermometer.  The conversation that ensued was hysterical and infuriating at the same time.
Everytime I call, they want to know my serial number, type of grill, SS number, name of first born, shoe size, etc. and so forth. 
In the end, I've always gotten what I needed but it's like pulling teeth. 
WTB 18 fruit

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
I've had my best success by calling later at night.  My theory being that the new employees and uptight managers have all gone home for the day, leaving the veteran employees with the most seniority and expertise to help their callers. 

...but as you note, YMMV.  I've also gotten some great, quick, generous help calling in the middle of the day. 

One of the charcoal people.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »
In the end, I've always gotten what I needed but it's like pulling teeth. 

This....  Just last weekend, I ordered a handful of misc shit to place the final touches on the Summit 6 burner freebie I picked up last fall.  Most everything was simple to order - warming rack, swinging warming basket, lid thermometer, replacement vent tab (which melted on my performer.  PS - they sent me a new vent & tab for free)  But then I needed a metal gas tube for the side burner.  It's this part.

Back up a bit - I ordered this part for my Silver C back in December, for 5 bucks, and without a hitch.  I took the one from my Silver C and used on the Summit to get it back in action.  The rep (Judy I think) says she's looking at the schematic and all she cas see & sell me is the entire side burner for 100something dollars.  I said fine, then I'd like to order one for my Silver C like I did back in Dec and offered the part number.  Nope, no part number as she needs to pull it up on her screen her way.  She tells me she won't sell it to me because she knows I'll use it on the Summit and it's not an OEM part and a hazard due to gas line size & pressure.  I told her it's a metal tube w/out a regulator and I already installed it on the Summit which is why I want one for my Genesis.  (not a lie)  After a few minutes, she decides to look at my Dec order.  She saw the order and typed in the part number only to tell me it fits a Summit and they NEVER should have sold me that part for a Genesis.  But since it says Summit, she'll go ahead and sell it to me. ::)

I get their position - sitting behind a computer screen looking at schematics.  We know what fits what especially since Weber is notorious for using stock parts on many models.  But I'm done rehabbing gassers simply due to the facts it's like pulling teeth ordering some shit AND their insane price hikes on parts.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 07:36:37 PM »
I had to do all kinds of justifications as to why I was ordering it.  More recently, I was purchasing SS ash sweeps and was warned that “they will not fit my grill”.

Exact same experience... had to explain over and over that I wanted the SS sweeps because there is less chance of them rusting out, falling apart, etc, that yes, I understand they are not originally part of the grill I have, and are not covered under the grill's warranty, and was told over and over that they are not compatible with my grill. After placing me on hold several times, he finally relented, and sold them to me.

...and waived shipping.

god love 'em...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:38:28 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »

" They certainly don’t want off-center people like me ordering weber parts so they can hook their performer propane tank to a home made potato gun mounted on a performer cart allowing said griller to shoot potatoes off the deck while grilling"

Just been thinking about this off & on since i read that
.......you got a really great deck for that ................ 8) 8) 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
I tried to order grate straps for my 14.5" WSM. The lady with a heavy accent which I thought Weber's customer service was in a different country. She refuse to sell me any part of the WSM since I did not know the stamp code on the vent. I told her that I'm at work and I don't have the smoker with me. Hung up went to WKC website and checked on the age guide. Called back got a lady from U.S. told her the AH code stamp and sold me the straps. I ordered hubcaps for a 22" kettle and she quoted me $5.99. I told her these are only $1.49 on their website. Instead she threw them in for free. Lesson learned. If I don't understand them with a heavy accent just say good bye and hope to get someone from the U.S.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Agree with above. A good CSR is key. I just ponied up to finally buy parts for my 5000. Could not find a 1000 on CL cheap enough to get the parts.
First she wanted to make sure it was a 5000 and wanted the S/N#. Again at work, but she followed through with my order. Through in slide arms and knobs for free. "That is just to expensive, I will comp them." Then off to ordering the S/S sweeps. Part# would not come up on her diagram. She backs out of the diagram and manually enters the item#, " I'd buy those too, they are three dollars less." Free shipping on all too. I think it is hit and miss with CSR's, some have the passion, others are just there to collect a paycheck. My CSR even told me how to bypass the thermocouple should it ever go out(NLA). This past experience was A+.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:44:18 AM by glrasmussen »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »
Yup, I agree completely Winz... now if I call and the person sounds new or needs to look up a sweep via a schematic I just make an excuse to call back later. Definitely Jeckyl and Hyde service but I think it mostly comes down to not being sufficiently trained on the products. I have flat out said to them before "look I just want the part and I know it works, please just sell it to me!" (so odd)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
I have a BBQ repair shop , doesn't everybody ;) .....that's all I'm saying
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
You should have seen the hoops I had to jump through to get a blue bowl.  They found a OTS bowl, put in the order just to have them silently cancel it because I said I needed a OTG.  I don't think there's any differences, and it didn't matter to me - I just wanted the bowl!  And their new pricing really gets my blood boiling!