Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: BigRix visits Berkeley  (Read 8640 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
BigRix visits Berkeley
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »
Yesterday I had the pleasure of hanging out with BigRix while he was on business near Berkeley.

First we started off at this hispter bar called Prizefighter to hang out for a bit. Cool place!

Gummi, Salad, and BigRix

Then for the main event we went to dinner at an all-you-can-eat korean bbq place in Oakland called Gogi Time.

Here's the menu with the Korean Banchan- small appetizers of pickled veggies, fishcake, kimchi, lettuce wraps, and various sauces for dipping.

They were using kettles in the back to start the lump. These guys were worked hard. I really like those legs. The normal sockets would definitely not hold up to this.

Here's our grill for the night. Charcoal korean all you can eat places are quite rare. BigRix on the left, Argentflame on the right.

DIY grilling dinner. We got marinated chicken, beef bulgogi, and spicy pork. We also got unmarinated sirloin, brisket, and pork belly.

Bulgogi and chicken.

Spicy pork.

Brisket and pork belly on the platter.

So much food!

Argentflame likes it me thinks.

All you can eat potstickers!

Gummi in action.

Yup.

More pics of kettles in action.

I almost lost my eyebrows.

Salad, you missed out! Till next time, BigRix. Thanks for coming out!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: BigRix visits Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »
So close, yet SO far...    :(

NICE!
Dude, relax your chicken.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
That is spectacular.
I've never seen a charcoal kbbq, of to Google I go!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
That is spectacular.
I've never seen a charcoal kbbq, of to Google I go!!

Dude, you live near LA. I've had charcoal kbbq there. It's amazing down too, all my korean friends rave about it. Vamanos!

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
Cool, hanging out yesterday and nice meeting you, Rick.  Sorry I missed the bbq place.  Never knew a place like that existed. 
Those kettles get a workout.  I wonder how long they last before they burn through? 

Oh, and if you read the board at Prizefighter, it says, "All nations welcome but Carrie".  Apparently a woman named Carrie Nation was a leader in the Temperance Movement that lead to Prohibition.  Yes, Carrie, you are not welcome. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:17:18 AM by salad »
WTB 18 fruit

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »
Goodness Lawrence, thanks for sharing.  Looks like you all had a great time and got to meet a great kettlehead (Rick).

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
Great post. That restaurant looks like a winner!!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
It was a pleasure meeting you Rick. This is the only place that I know of that gives you a charcoal grill on the table. Normally you get a hotpot and a built propane grill in the table. I was ready for round 5,6 and 7 but everybody was stuffed. It was a lot of fun hanging with Grillfellas.

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
Thanks to Gummi for setting this up. The highlight of my road trip so far and it will be hard to top it.

Fantastic time and I'm so glad I got to hang out with y'all and talk WKC.

When we were hanging at The Prizefighter we all had a different Grail that we would like.

Upon reflection, I came to the conclusion that the ultimate grail grill would be a Westerner Ranger with a quick change Seville cart for the formal cook out's.

I also came to the conclusion that I thought I knew how to use chop sticks, but I am but an amateur.

Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
BigRix visits Berkeley
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »
Looks like fun and good eats. I know a Korean restaurant in NJ that has charcoal pots they use in the middle of the table. It is a really good place to eat.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun and a great feast! 
I've never seen a kettle lid look like that before.  Is the center warping, or collapsing inward due to the heat, or has it been dropped one too many times??
Kettle collector AND cooker!

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:15 PM »
I was thinking about carbon monoxide.  You're always told to never use charcoal indoors, right?  So how do they do it?  Serious ventilation?  What are the risks if ventilation some how fails?
If something did go wrong, at least you would've had a great last meal! 
WTB 18 fruit

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »
It was a pleasure meeting you Rick. This is the only place that I know of that gives you a charcoal grill on the table. Normally you get a hotpot and a built propane grill in the table. I was ready for round 5,6 and 7 but everybody was stuffed. It was a lot of fun hanging with Grillfellas.

"This is the only place that I know of that gives you a charcoal grill on the table."

I know.....you guys just can't do it, can you?

Can't go out to eat somewhere, anywhere, without BBQ'ing it yourself.......  8)

Severe Weberitis.......contagious, too................

Glad you all had what was obviously a terrific time, grilling, eating, talkin' shop, visiting the cookers & the cooks.......great get-together !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun and a great feast! 
I've never seen a kettle lid look like that before.  Is the center warping, or collapsing inward due to the heat, or has it been dropped one too many times??

All the above, Jeff. The lid is dull from the heat, dented, and all the welds are gone. That's why the stands are there.

I was thinking about carbon monoxide.  You're always told to never use charcoal indoors, right?  So how do they do it?  Serious ventilation?  What are the risks if ventilation some how fails?
If something did go wrong, at least you would've had a great last meal! 

There's positive ventilation above every table. Unlike a car, the charcoal smokes a lot so you would know if it were broken.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 06:46:58 AM »
BigRix,

I see you got to experience the NorCal WKC welcoming committee.  I am sure you will agree that Gummi, Argentflame, and Salad are fun guys to hang out with.

One question - did Gummi have a thermopen in on him to temp the food you cooked at the BBQ place?  If not, I am going to have to have a word with him....

Looks like a great time!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.