Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: UPDATED W/PICS...Pulled pork test cook, need advice  (Read 4820 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
UPDATED W/PICS...Pulled pork test cook, need advice
« on: June 20, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
Since I'm new a charcoal grilling, I need some advice. So, I picked up a small boneless pork shoulder, 4lbs., to try a lower temp cook. From my research, it looks like the snake method is what I want to use if I want to maintain around 250*. Here's my question. How should I set up he snake and how many lit should I start with.  My guess would be to do the the snake, 2 bricketts on the lower row and 1 on top and add  maybe 3 chunks of wood on top. And start with 6 lit bricketts. How does this sound? Any advice would be appriciated. 8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:43:00 PM by Nate »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Pulled pork test cook, need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »
To me, that sounds perfect.

I use two on the top row, but it will run a little hotter, so one row on top is what I'm doing next.

To add, my performer vents on the bottom are open, and the top I adjust as I watch the temp on the standard thermometer.

And add a pan, pie tin, of water on the charcoal grate.

Everyone had different techniques, but what you're planning works great for my cooks.

Have fun!

Dude, relax your chicken.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
Thanks. So temp control can be done with just the top vents? I'm using my oven thermometer on the grate so I know temp at the grate. Oh yeah, I forgot to add just what you mentioned, I will have a water pan under the pork.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »
Nate you seem on the right path. I usually leave the top bent wide open and adjusts the lower vents. Generally start with 6-10 lit and it works well.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
Like I said, everyone does it different...

Top vent / bottom vent
Beer / wine
Underwear / no underwear
..oh..wait..TMI..

Practice makes perfect - and lots of pulled pork    8)

Most importantly though, make sure you burn the snake right to left for pork!

Seriously, you'll do fine and it'll be great.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:12:51 PM by dazzo »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
Did I miss no underwear Friday dazzo? Dammit, and it's hot here to boot.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
Ok you guys, who forgot the Friday memo again?
And yes, No Underwear Friday is way TMI..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »

Underwear Friday?

I didn't get the memo either....but.....

the odd thing about chunks like what you're cooking is it doesn't just go by # of pounds.....the length of cook will be determined more by the thickness of the Boston Meat Hunk (<< I think that's now the official USDA name for these things).........

So even a smaller one may take awhile.....if it's as thick as say, a 10# one..............maybe the best eatin' thing in BBQ though & well worth however long it takes...........

set something like this:

Here's the full cookup ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382

....but that went clockwise, for beef.....you'll want to go counter-clockwise, as it's for pork............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »

....but that went clockwise, for beef.....you'll want to go counter-clockwise, as it's for pork............

Are you guys serious about the clockwise and counter-clockwise burns  ??? Or are you just trying to pull one over on a novice  ???

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »

Deadly Serious....if you break protocol, it may rip a hole in the space / time continuum....... 8)

see Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/something-different/

About halfway down, for furthur explanation.......... ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »

PS: I'M SERIOUS !!!!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »
Don't mess with the buckie

You've seen his mathematical formula for the turds, Yes?

The left/right burn is very critical, and we can only begin to understand its full power and potential.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:17 PM »
The 2 bottom 1 on top laced with wood chunks (like in buckies pic) is prolly the best way to go, easy to control
yer temps. I personally would close the bottom vent to about half an inch open and close the top down to
about half to three quarters open, but prolly closer to half.

Shoot for internal temp before time in other words cook to temp, not time and you'll be golden.

The last Boston Meat Hunk (10 pounder) I did I took to an internal temp of 225 if I remember correctly and it was
the most tender and moist chunk of pig I have cooked. Wrapped it in foil and a towel and let the temp drop on
it's own to 140ish and pulled it apart. Then slapped some on Hawaiian Kings bread sandwich roll with some
slaw dressed lightly with mayo and dijon mustard with a splash of apple cider vinegar on top of that warm
pulled porkiness..  SOOO GOOD. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:40:09 PM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: UPDATED W/PICS ...Pulled pork test cook, need advice
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
Here's a couple pics of the test cook. The temp got away from me for a bit, 350+, after the first 20 minutes of putting the pork on but got it under control after closing down the top and bottom vents. Leveled out at 250*. Without anymore vent adjustments and held steady the whole time. Had to extend the snake, almost did a full circle. I think next time I will turn the meat 180* to try and get it to cook more evenly. The reason why is that on side was up to 200* while the other was sitting at 173*. I rotated and let it cook til about 193*. It's foil towel wrapped right now waiting for dinner. Hopefully the hot side didn't dry out to much. I'm hoping the foil towel wrap will moisten it up. Overall, this went really well and like the fact the temp required no maintenance from me after my first vent adjustment.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »

Just checking back in to ask: " What happened?"

And got this:

"Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

Nice Cookup !!!!

This here:
"It's foil towel wrapped right now waiting for dinner. Hopefully the hot side didn't dry out to much. I'm hoping the foil towel wrap will moisten it up."

is where the magical stuff (or at least apart of it) happens........

It can be @ 173 one side & 193 the other and during the rest, all that levels out.....

When you go to unleash the porky goodness, grab one edge of the foil & roll it out into a pan.........that's the goods !!!!