Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help barkeepers friend left a stain  (Read 4536 times)

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
Help barkeepers friend left a stain
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:16:32 PM »
So i am cleaning my 7os patent black metal handle and i was using barkeepers friend but now there is a haze where i put barkeepers friend that wont come off ???
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help barkeepers friend left a stain
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
What were you cleaning?  Isn't that Stainless Steel cleaner?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Try re polishing woth straight 0000 steel wool..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
I don't know much about that stuff, but if it is some kind of metal cleaner, I'm sure it has some kind of compound in it that is abrasive?  Maybe that's wrecking it, I wouldn't use that on anything but stainless....

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
From what i read it is meant for porcelain and all other types of services but I bought it because of that
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
Hopefully it just buffs off.. It may be reacting with the metal.. I don' think I have ever seen a recomendation to use any cleanser on a Kettle. Just steel wool and soap.
 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
I don't know much about that stuff, but if it is some kind of metal cleaner, I'm sure it has some kind of compound in it that is abrasive?  Maybe that's wrecking it, I wouldn't use that on anything but stainless....

If I recall correctly BKF is abrasive. I don't recommend using it on anything but bare metal to get oxidation and what not off. Do you have a pic? Is it actually a stain, discoloration, or tiny scratches causing haziness that needs to be buffed out?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 07:01:32 PM »
I think porcelain may be different than porcelain enamel...a toilet is porcelain, it may react different on a grill

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
You hear people talking alot about it. Its a mild clenaser. It contains an acid compound..
It probalby works on Stainless and other metals, it might even work on a Kettle with some good results. Never heard of it staining a Kettle.. Lets see it and we can go from there.  8)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 08:40:04 PM »
Very odd? ???

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 10:59:19 PM »
You hear people talking alot about it. Its a mild clenaser. It contains an acid compound..
It probalby works on Stainless and other metals, it might even work on a Kettle with some good results. Never heard of it staining a Kettle.. Lets see it and we can go from there.  8)
Yeah, I just looked and the active ingredient is Oxalic acid.
Maybe it etched the porcelain ?
I would try dish detergent + warm water + 0000 steel wool as suggested above.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
I've used barkeepers friend on several kettles with good results. The liquid may be less aggressive than the powder, but I've never had a problem with either. Be sure to use plenty of water and rinse thoroughly. I suspect it just needs a good rinse and it'll look good as new.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »
So i am cleaning my 7os patent black metal handle and i was using barkeepers friend but now there is a haze where i put barkeepers friend that wont come off ???

Zork are you using the powder BKF or the liquid? If the liquid did you wet the bowl and kettle throughly before applying the cleanser and using 0000 steel wool and while doing so keeping the kettle surface wet and not allowing the cleanser to dry also only keep it on for a short period of time no more than 2 minutes. Also make sure kettle stays cool and is out of direct sunlight. I think I had the same thing happen to me on my black 1989 three wheeler.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.