Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone NOT have the urge to cook on a daisy wheel?  (Read 9712 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Anyone NOT have the urge to cook on a daisy wheel?
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
Hey that mini ranch vent is cool! Any ideas why the hole is oblong?
It's because the holes in the mini ranch bowl are oblong

lol, in that case any ideas why the holes in the mini ranch bowl are oblong?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:28:40 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Probably because it was cheap to produce and allows a little more air intake
I don't think much thought went into the design, it's cheap and nasty and the worse product made by Weber IMO ,
Here's a pic of the inside of the bowl

Yes that's right the legs bolt on through the bowl and no grate tabs
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »
How could you not want to cook on a daisy wheel!!?? As my wife says, it makes everything spicy  ;D

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »
I agree that they compact kettles are cheap, but I think the single bottom vent would work well in a regular kettle. It just wouldn't sweep the ash out, for you guys that need that. ;D

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 03:51:53 AM »
The holes are oblong possibly because they are punched out prior to shaping the bowl? Round hole gets stretched to oblong.
Sounds good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
I'll cook on any of them, I really don't care.  I find they cook no different, and I can do anything I want to do with no problem on either of them.  The one touch is easier no doubt but I'll cook anything on any of them...I'm not scared...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 07:20:07 AM »
Three wheel daisy kettles are completely dead for me. They are wonderful to look at and admire, but to use it as a modern day grilling tool in 2014, it's just too much aggravation and work to cook on one. The three wheel kettles have gone the way of the rotary dial house phone, the 8-track tape player, the VCR, etc.

In fact, I have gone even further and have given up on using 3 legged kettles all together! Unless it's a Performer with a OTG sweep, a lid bale, a built in thermometer, electronic ignition, and a built in work table mounted on a four wheel swivel cart, I won't even bother.

I think I may have struck a raw nerve by using the words "aggravation" and "work" when describing a 3-wheel kettle. Allow me to elaborate...  I enjoy the grilling experience, smelling the smoke, hearing the sizzle of the food, tending to the food, etc. I do not enjoy fiddling up underneath the kettle adjusting the individual hot air vents by opening and closing them repeatedly, trying to get it just right. I do not enjoy having to work at getting the fire started. I do not enjoy having to hang my lid down low on that small hook inside the lid and burning the inside of my forearm every time I want to take a peek at the food. I don't enjoy having to get out additional tools like a shovel and brush to clean the bowl afterwards, etc. I must emphasize that this is just me and I know everyone is different. To me, it is work and I don't want any part of my grilling experience to resemble work.

Anything that eliminates these steps and allows me to spend more grilling time drinking beer, relaxing, talking to my neighbor over the back fence and all those parts of the grilling experience that I enjoy is truly a plus - a tremendous plus. If the three wheel design was truly superior, then the one touch system should have failed years ago and Weber would have discontinued making them? I must emphasize that what is work to one is a labor of love to another.

Are you aguing with yourself?  Did you touch your own nerve?   :)
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
coming into an internal ash catcher seals the deal.

^^^This. If you're so lucky to find an HC ashpan, use it! Definitely helps even more w/ temp regulation on a 3 wheeler (not that it's hard to get)... especially low n slow.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »
I have a newer OT blue that I really like. It's mainly my pizza kettle and it's the one I used in the post I just did in the cooking section. I'm okay with it being an OT because I really like that grill. I just prefer the daisy wheel.