Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What would you buy?  (Read 11605 times)

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
Re: What would you buy?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »

Go back inside and do what must be done.
Be sure to get the WKC discount.

If any forgiveness is needed, ask for it later.

The WKC discount?  Is that a 5 finger discount, because it's an awfully big item.   Seriously, though, is there a discount?

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »

Go back inside and do what must be done.
Be sure to get the WKC discount.

If any forgiveness is needed, ask for it later.

The WKC discount?  Is that a 5 finger discount, because it's an awfully big item.   Seriously, though, is there a discount?

Of course....tell them how influential our forum is in the BBQ World.....

:)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:41:50 PM by DirectDrive »

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
Well, something wonderful happened. I talked to the wifey, who said I can't buy anything unless I have ALL the money. After briefly considering what I could sell to earn the extra, I remembered I have credit card points to cash out. We have a deal where I get 100% of credit card points because she never wanted any credit cards and won't use them unless u make her for large purchases. I order all the parts for our home-based custom computer/repair business with the card, the points accumulate decently quick. Short story long, now I have $500!

Question is, despite my desire to get the biggest WSM, which will continue to take my breath away every time I see it... Is it a bad idea since we're a small family? I want to be able to smoke big turkeys sometimes, and have parties somewhat regularly, but the 18.5" can still fit a lot of food.

If I put the same chunk of meat into a 18.5" and 22.5", does the larger one require significantly more fuel to do the same cook?  I hope not and that bigger is only better... Ready for the big cooks, but good for small ones too. What do you think?

P. S. TechBargains.com shows Lowe's has a coupon code for 10% off... I can order the 18.5 there but they don't seem to list the 22.5.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
Tough call....  I've had a 22.5" WSM and 4 18.5" WSM's.... I got rid of them all, in favor of 22.5" and 26.75" kettles and a Performer..... Works best for me (family of 4) and probably 3-4x a year grill/bbq for 15-30 folks. I like the convenience & versatility of the Performer & the 26.75".  I smoke/cook everything on them (briskets, butts, ribs, etc.) with results similar to the WSM's, without the hassles of the WSM's set up, lack of mobility, 3 part construction, etc. That said, you don't have the volume capability as they come stock. From my experience, you will use more fuel in a 22.5" WSM.... Rough estimate would be 25-30% more+-..... Which, if you buy your fuel at the right price, is not too bad..... IMO, it just depends on what you really need for YOUR use..... I must say, the 22.5" WSM does have the WOW factor!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
If you're cooking for yourself and your wife primarily, get the 18.5 WSM.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
I think you guys are right. I just got Weberitis.

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
What would you buy?
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »
If it were me, and I only had 1 cooker to start with, with a family of 4, it would be a Performer no doubt. You can build your "collection" from that point, but I use my Performer more than anything..... And it's even that ugly Brick color! Haha..... Just my view.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:48:35 PM by Fishawn »

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »
I would like to do some low & slow on indirect heat while being able to cook other things on the Performer. My dream cook is baking desert on one kettle, breads on another, and slow cooking/smoking meats and potatoes, etc, on the future WSM. I don't see ever cooking on more than 3 Webers at a time, though.

I already have a Performer Platinum & another 22.5", so I've already got to the point of adding to my initial collection.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:29:18 PM by AnakiMana »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »
i would honestly go for the cajun bandit stacker over the WSM.

If you go WSM, the 22 is the way to go. The 18 and the 14 are great, but you can't lay ribs flat in them. This means you're rolling ribs up, or cutting them in half to lay them flat. That sucks.

The WSM does need more fuel than the smallers, but it will also hold a LOT more food. I've done 8 butts in mine at once. I've also done 15 racks of ribs (laying flat!).

With the stacker, you have the freedom to do 3 pork butts (feed a lot of ppl). You can also do 6+ racks of flat laying ribs.
With 500 bucks, you can get a rotisserie ring and the stacker.
Or a stacker and a thermapen and a maverick.

If you end up buying on amazon or lowes or something, i'd be fantastic if you use a WKC link. I can't get you a discount, but purchasing through a WKC link helps support the site :)

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »
I e-mailed the Cajun Bandit guys to ask when the Cajun Bandit Conversion Kit will be back in stock.  They informed me that it's been replaced with the stacker kit with optional coal ring and heat diffuser.  I guess that means it won't have a door and won't be as tall.  I wouldn't be able to add or view coals like this, would I?  It just doesn't seem appealing unless I could get the discontinued kit.

I was watching YouTube reviews on the WSM 22.5" and saw this guy making beef jerky and using a small amount of charcoal despite the large smoker.  Looks like I don't necessarily need more fuel.  Makes me want to just go big in case I need it.  Also I'm worried I might have buyer's remorse for not getting the one that really impacted me.

About supporting WKC... I'm glad you reminded me!  I usually visit these forums on my Android phone using Tapatalk and rarely see the rest of the site.

The support WKC page has a lot of links, but only the 1st two have tags identifying the club.  Do you actually get credit when following the rest of the links, like for Lowes?  Do they really know where I came from - or do those links need to be fixed?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »
I e-mailed the Cajun Bandit guys to ask when the Cajun Bandit Conversion Kit will be back in stock.  They informed me that it's been replaced with the stacker kit with optional coal ring and heat diffuser.  I guess that means it won't have a door and won't be as tall.  I wouldn't be able to add or view coals like this, would I?  It just doesn't seem appealing unless I could get the discontinued kit.

I was watching YouTube reviews on the WSM 22.5" and saw this guy making beef jerky and using a small amount of charcoal despite the large smoker.  Looks like I don't necessarily need more fuel.  Makes me want to just go big in case I need it.  Also I'm worried I might have buyer's remorse for not getting the one that really impacted me.

About supporting WKC... I'm glad you reminded me!  I usually visit these forums on my Android phone using Tapatalk and rarely see the rest of the site.

The support WKC page has a lot of links, but only the 1st two have tags identifying the club.  Do you actually get credit when following the rest of the links, like for Lowes?  Do they really know where I came from - or do those links need to be fixed?

those links should track :)

regarding the bandit: adding coals isn't super challenging. Just lift the stacker off and place off to the side somewhere.

regarding fuel in 22 wsm - making jerky is different than bbq. jerky is super low temp, 100 - 140ish. For bbq you'll need to be 225 - 275

Mac7504

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 11:30:41 PM »
i would honestly go for the cajun bandit stacker over the WSM.

If you go WSM, the 22 is the way to go. The 18 and the 14 are great, but you can't lay ribs flat in them. This means you're rolling ribs up, or cutting them in half to lay them flat. That sucks.

The WSM does need more fuel than the smallers, but it will also hold a LOT more food. I've done 8 butts in mine at once. I've also done 15 racks of ribs (laying flat!).

With the stacker, you have the freedom to do 3 pork butts (feed a lot of ppl). You can also do 6+ racks of flat laying ribs.
With 500 bucks, you can get a rotisserie ring and the stacker.
Or a stacker and a thermapen and a maverick.

If you end up buying on amazon or lowes or something, i'd be fantastic if you use a WKC link. I can't get you a discount, but purchasing through a WKC link helps support the site :)

I'm sorry, but I just had to join after reading this, just how did you get 15 racks on a 22.5''  WSM (laying flat)? Please do tell....

I'm very intrigued.

Johnny

Sorry for bumping a very old thread but I just had to.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 12:05:50 AM »
@Mac7504

3 racks on the bottom grate,
turn a 22" grate upside down and set it on its handles over the bottom grate and the first 3 ribs
add 3 racks on the upside down 22" grate
add another upside down 22" grate, and 3 more racks

do the same on the upper grate, but there's only room for 1 upside down grate
9 flat slabs down below, 6 above
you have to run it hot at the start to get the ribs to shrnk up and create some airflow ;)
(and use baby backs)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 03:44:17 AM »
Beware the rub o later.  PIA!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »
Up your game with a Cajun Bandit Stacker or Rotisserie ring (or both) and a Rib-O-Lator!

Thank me later!

^^^
This!