Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What would you buy?  (Read 11606 times)

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
What would you buy?
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:06:36 PM »
Let's say you received a gift of $250 and the spouse said you could spend it however you want... even expects you to buy BBQ stuff. You're just getting started but already have a Performer Platinum and 22.5" MBH, the Gourmet BBQ Sear Grate set plus Weber wok.

What would you spend it on?

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: What would you buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:13 PM »
Let the enabling begin! Cajun Bandit, Roti ring, dutch oven, cast iron skillet, pizza stone, Maverick thermometer, Thermapen, MEAT. A rub pack from Big Poppa Smokers or similar, Smoking wood from Fruita or similar. Lots of options here!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »
Up your game with a Cajun Bandit Stacker or Rotisserie ring (or both) and a Rib-O-Lator!

Thank me later!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »
Holy crap. I just visited cajonbandit.com.  Now my acquisition disorders are acting up something fierce! 

Is the rotisserie they make better than the Weber made one?  What's the difference?

My wife bought a whole chicken because she wanted to try cooking it in the crockpot like a friend described. I just thought its a shame, I should be cooking it outside! But I need a rotisserie or something.

Oh, and that rib-o-lator looks awesome!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 02:58:35 AM »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »

Is the rotisserie they make better than the Weber made one?  What's the difference?

I think it depends on who you talk to and which one a person already owns. Those that own a Weber roti seem to love them. I own the CB and I can't speak highly enough about it. When you're using a rib-or-lator or doing a chicken on the roti it's not as important to get a very air-tight seal so the Weber one is great. But if you're doing a longer smoke and using the roti ring as an extender, like for a big turkey, I think the CB roti shines. That thing seals up on the kettle incredibly well. So here's why I recommend the CB roti:

1. It's made of a very high grade of stainless steel, won't rust, chip or peel — ever.
2. The seal I mentioned above, you don't have to stuff the gap with anything to seal it. If using as an extender ring just put a little foil over the roti holes.
3. It can be bought in a version that seals on the kettle on one side and the CB smoker on the other, or a kettle/WSM combination

Now, going back to what I wrote at the beginning, I own the CB roti. Those that own the Weber seem to love them too. Ultimately, you won't go wrong with either one but if the price point is the same, and the CB is actually about ten bucks less, then I'd say go with the CB.

But, hey, I don't really have much of an opinion one way or the other.  ::)

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 07:29:09 AM »
Let's say you received a gift of $250 and the spouse said you could spend it however you want... even expects you to buy BBQ stuff. You're just getting started but already have a Performer Platinum and 22.5" MBH, the Gourmet BBQ Sear Grate set plus Weber wok.

What would you spend it on?

I would put it toward an 18.5 WSM and embrace Low-n-Slow.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
I would put it toward an 18.5 WSM and embrace Low-n-Slow.

What DD says. Period. If I ever were to pare down to a pair of kettles, it would be my performer and the 18.5 WSM.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
Ok, so I have a confession. I don't really understand the purpose/point of a smoker verses smoking on a standard kettle. What makes a WSM worth the money?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 12:32:34 PM »
Ok, so I have a confession. I don't really understand the purpose/point of a smoker verses smoking on a standard kettle. What makes a WSM worth the money?

They fit more meat than a kettle and you can usually find a used 18 around for a fraction of new. The Cajun Bandit quality stuff though.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
So, it must have multiple cooking grates if it fits more meat despite being smaller around (speaking of 18.5" WSM vs 22.5" kettle). Or the lid is taller? I feel like I'm missing something obvious with how much everyone loves them around here.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
A WSM much larger volume than a kettle so the charcoal is far away. An 18" WSM is a short barrel capped with 18.5" bowl at both ends. You can pack BOTH cooking grates and have even heat distribution. The deep dome lid also gives additional headroom for tall roasts, beercan chicken, turkey, etc. There is also a diffuser between the charcoal and cooking chamber to reduce direct heat from the charcoal. The entire lower bowl can also be packed with charcoal allowing for longer cooks. The airflow and vents are set up for low temps so it's a little easier to control. A wsm is not necessary. but it's very nice for smoking lots of meat or for long periods of time.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:27 PM »

I think of it more as BBQ machine....that heat zone between smoke and grill.
With a kettle you can do indirect, low and slow but you have to give up grill area to do it.
The WSM can be set up for very long cooks and they are so effective that they used on the competition BBQ circuit.

I really don't know why their price points are higher than the kettles.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:15:49 PM by DirectDrive »

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Ok, thanks for the great explanations! I get it now. I started watching some YouTube videos to get better visualizations as well.  This would be great if I were cooking for more than just me and my wife! I'll keep an eye out for cheap used ones... I want one now even though it's hard to justify with the small amount of food we make.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
I do small amounts on my wsm all the time, but I like the Cajun bandit better because it's a 22 and you can lay ribs easier than with an 18. You8 can also easily store it away when it's not in use.