Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What would you buy?  (Read 11608 times)

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
Re: What would you buy?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »
You need to buy a food saver, to vac pac your leftovers. I do 3 butts at a time and make 1 lb packs for me and my wife. Just reheat in hot water and you would think you just took it off the smoker, same with meatloaf, seal slices. Quick and easy meals that taste great.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
Either the CB or Weber roti setups are nice for the kettle. I know some like one better than the other, but they both work fine on the kettle (I have both). The advantage as others have pointed out is that the CB ring can be used on a 22 WSM too.

You could also get a 14.5 WSM and have 50 bucks left over. This little cooker can turn out some great bbq.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »

I really don't know why their price points are higher than the kettles.

There are more parts and processes to make it, larger shipping size, lower volume, and the competition is those $3-400+ offsets and smoker boxes. It's the best value smoker on the market imo!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
Ok, thanks for the great explanations! I get it now. I started watching some YouTube videos to get better visualizations as well.  This would be great if I were cooking for more than just me and my wife! I'll keep an eye out for cheap used ones... I want one now even though it's hard to justify with the small amount of food we make.
Another way to do this is to build a Mini WSM.
Search on that or Smokey Joe Conversion and see what you think.

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
What would you buy?
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
Another vote for the CB ring.... I will throw vacuum packer out for consideration also..... Maybe not a "tool" but handy to have if you smoke/Q/cook a lot.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:11:35 PM by Fishawn »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
You may recall that I posted a link to this a few weeks back: http://kpr.craigslist.org/app/4390369711.html

It may still be available. Worth an email, anyway.

I would absolutely recommend a Thermapen, and surprisingly enough they stock a few colors at Ranch & Home. I would also suggest a probe thermometer that allows you to monitor temps on low & slow cooks, something like the Maverick.

The Rotisserie may be great, but I've never had one, and I must not know what I'm missing. My kettles make seriously MEAN chickens, and yardbirds are one of the easiest things to cook. Medium indirect heat until the bird is up to temp in the breasts & thighs, usually about 60-90 mins. Yummm.

So, to sum it up:

- Thermometers
 - An 18" WSM will definitely expand your game
 - Maybe a mini chimney to go with that WSM
 - A few of the famous rubs you've read about: Plowboys Yardbird, Simply Marvelous, maybe some Tatonka Dust, etc.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
You may recall that I posted a link to this a few weeks back: http://kpr.craigslist.org/app/4390369711.html

It may still be available. Worth an email, anyway.

I would absolutely recommend a Thermapen, and surprisingly enough they stock a few colors at Ranch & Home. I would also suggest a probe thermometer that allows you to monitor temps on low & slow cooks, something like the Maverick.

The Rotisserie may be great, but I've never had one, and I must not know what I'm missing. My kettles make seriously MEAN chickens, and yardbirds are one of the easiest things to cook. Medium indirect heat until the bird is up to temp in the breasts & thighs, usually about 60-90 mins. Yummm.

So, to sum it up:

- Thermometers
 - An 18" WSM will definitely expand your game
 - Maybe a mini chimney to go with that WSM
 - A few of the famous rubs you've read about: Plowboys Yardbird, Simply Marvelous, maybe some Tatonka Dust, etc.

I emailed the seller earlier today to check with her. If I understood more about WSMs when you first told me about it... *sigh* Well, I didn't have the spending money then anyway... I just checked my email and she said she already sold it. Turns out she knows me by name - I fix her computers where she works! LOL

Well, I really appreciate all the ideas here. The vacuum sealer is definitely in. I can probably convince my wife to use our other money on it, too. The Cajun Bandit will probably win, but I'm gonna wait and research more before deciding.

I have the standard Weber thermometer and a pretty inexpensive cheapy from Target that's wireless. I'm picking up a grate surface thermo for super cheap on Amazon as an add-on item next time I order something. When I start cooking low & slow I'll probably look at those better ones.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »
On a side note, my wife rolls her eyes because we have a small house and I tend to get really into some new THING and start obsessing & collecting. Guitars. I always wanted to play, growing up listening to classic & hard rock, but my parents wouldn't spend the money on an instrument or lessons. So now I have 4 (3 electric, 1 acoustic-electric) and I still don't know how to play! Old razors. I bought a $7 double edge razor made in the early sixties at a 2nd hand store because I could get 100 blades for $10 online and have a sharp shave every day instead of spending $4 per cartridge. Next thing I know I've collected like 50 different historical razors  and even straight edges that I haven't learned how to use yet!

Point is, she thinks I'm going to fill the back yard with Webers now, and I'm gonna try not to! (and why am I watching CL like a hawk?!  Dammit!)

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 07:33:40 AM »
A visual on the Mini WSM.
This is Sian's from Wales recently completed mini.
It has his rugby team's logo on it.
He did an excellent job re-purposing that old SJ.

At the Bullet forum search on "welsh" to see his build thread.

The_Doughboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
If I could find a used WSM I'd get it. Until then I'll do all my smoking on my performer. Chicken, Ribs, and other pork products turn out pretty excellent. And I always get a good smoke ring and bark.

I live in Canada, I've looked for nearly 3 years and have not been able to find a used WSM. I've found a couple NIB which are still full priced though.
I get the feeling that may change soom. There have been a lot more charcoal BBQs for sale the last year or so.

I would buy one if I could find it for under $200.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:18:20 PM by The_Doughboy »

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
I just stopped into Ranch & Home and looked at their lineup of Webers again. They have all three sizes of WSM on display. I must say, the 22" WSM actually gave me an adrenaline rush as I looked at it and imagined owning it! Considering the gift money, it would be like getting one for $150 +tax, brand new. I think I'm ready to sell something to get my hands on one of those... I say as I'm sitting in the parking lot typing this. It's in stock, too. *sigh*

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 01:02:52 PM »
I just stopped into Ranch & Home and looked at their lineup of Webers again. They have all three sizes of WSM on display. I must say, the 22" WSM actually gave me an adrenaline rush as I looked at it and imagined owning it! Considering the gift money, it would be like getting one for $150 +tax, brand new. I think I'm ready to sell something to get my hands on one of those... I say as I'm sitting in the parking lot typing this. It's in stock, too. *sigh*

The 22.5" WSM is a thing of beauty.  8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
The 22 WSM next to it's twin brother, RK. Loved this shot I took last year for a big summer party 😃

BBQmedic

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »
^^^^^^Great pic!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »

Go back inside and do what must be done.
Be sure to get the WKC discount.

If any forgiveness is needed, ask for it later.

:)