Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying out the New Weber Wok  (Read 3036 times)

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Trying out the New Weber Wok
« on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »
I was not sure where to put this post because I was mostly interested in sharing my experience with the new wok versus posting anything fabulous that I was able to cook up. Here seemed like it fit the best though. I am not all that experienced with a wok but I have dabbled in the kitchen a little. I recently picked up the new Weber wok from the gourmet system on sale (thanks MartyG! ) and was looking forward to giving it a try. I thought about getting one of the larger hand hammered ones but thought this was worth a try.

In preparation, I made a trip to the local HMart.... Wow!  I had never gone before and what an experience that was. I will definitely go there again for some cool food you just don't see anywhere else.

So here is how I started.

After I got it nice and hot I added the chicken.

After the chicken had a little time I added some veggies.

One nice thing about this smaller size, I was getting a little impatient/hungry so I put the grill lid down to speed it up a little. I know there are other ways to do this with the larger woks as well.

After the veggies were good to go, I added some udon noodles from the HMart and a little orange sauce.

So the big test was if I would be able to make enough in this size wok to feed my family of four. I was very pleased with the results regarding the quantity. Sure, I could do more with a bigger wok but this one, to my surprise, was able to produce enough for my needs.

I served up four bowls similar to this and had some leftovers for lunch today. These are pretty good sized bowls too.

Another positive aspect I liked is that this wok fit into my sink for an easy clean up.  Again, I am not a wok expert but I had a positive experience with this wok and look forward to using it again. I may eventually branch out into a larger hand hammered type, but for now, I am pleased with this one. I was able to have plenty to serve my family and also received complements from them on the food... bonus!

Thanks for checking this out.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Trying out the New Weber Wok
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »
Todd I've used mine recently too and actually liked it. I have the SS ones but not the older style monster ( still hunting that one down). They all serve their purpose.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Woks on the kettles are great.

Very good job, looks delicious!

Dude, relax your chicken.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:21:28 AM »
Will need to pick one of those up.  I have the gourmet system sear grate set.  I've been looking at the pizza stone too.

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »
That's on my short list, are they still on sale somewhere? :D

Nice cook, looks like you could have even added more food to it if you wanted.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
With the help of Marty G noticing the sale I was able to swing by and pick this one up on sale at the Crate and Barrel Outlet store. I don't know if the regular Crate and Barrel stores have them. In the outlet store you could tell these were previously in another store and had been sent to the outlet store to clear out.

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »
Gotcha, none of those around these parts unfortunately.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
Yes, on benefit of being in Chicago. I would be happy to pick one up for anyone but the cost of shipping would eliminate the sale savings.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
TBS,
I am not a wok expert, but do you think it got hot enough for real stir fry? 

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Trying out the New Weber Wok
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
We need a wok guru to film a wokumentry for the guys with new woks. I'm still getting used to my duke wok (paella pan). It definitely takes a bit to get used to with the hot spots.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
TBS,
I am not a wok expert, but do you think it got hot enough for real stir fry?

I certainly am not an expert on this either but I can tell you I had a fair amount of oil in it to start because I wanted to test out the heat by dropping some food in and seeing how the oil responded. It was more out of curiosity and boredom than anything scientific. What I can tell you as a result is that I could have filled that thing with oil and had a deep fryer......   ;D  So, my opinion, yes it gets hot enough.  ::)