Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How much meat?  (Read 2018 times)

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
How much meat?
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
So I am cooking for 16 people next month and was going to do brisket and pulled pork.

The mix is about 50/50 male/female.

What size brisket and butt do you think i should go for?

There will be sides of salad, baked potato dish, dips, etc. too.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How much meat?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »

Ken, I figure pork @ 55% yield........10# would equal 160oz. raw &  88oz. cooked.....divide by 6oz. portion = 14-2/3 people / portions.....6oz. is a large portion, but pork freezes really well.....

brisket would be 45~55 % say, 12# trimmed down a bit to near 10# will get about the same yield

Does that give you a close enough benchmark?

Don't know much about kilograms........ 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 04:18:17 PM »

Ken, I figure pork @ 55% yield........10# would equal 160oz. raw &  88oz. cooked.....divide by 6oz. portion = 14-2/3 people / portions.....6oz. is a large portion, but pork freezes really well.....

brisket would be 45~55 % say, 12# trimmed down a bit to near 10# will get about the same yield

Does that give you a close enough benchmark?

Don't know much about kilograms........ 8)

Thanks Buckie!

So a 50% loss from raw to cooked? (I have never actually weighed a peice of meat after i have cooked it  :o )

I was thinking 4-5kg (so 9-11lbs) of each. Sounds close to what you are suggesting.

Might go for 6kg's of each and just live with it if we have leftovers (tough I know!).

Ken

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »
Ken, I think one of each would be fine. A butt around 8-10lbs with bone in would cook well. A full brisket packer is delicious but you can probably also cook a flat and have plenty to serve. A little leftover never hurt anyone 8) If you are gonna be cooking for this long you might as well go all out and load the wsm with meat.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
Thanks gummi.

Yeah I was going to get a trimmed flat, not a whole packer. I might throw on some chicken wings too. Problem is it is at a place she has hired so i need to get my WSM there (along with the associated items) and we are going out to dinner on the firday night. :) I am actually supposed to be taking part in the festivities so don't want to bother with anything that requires too much fiddling (like doing burnt ends, etc.). I will be getting a full packer again to do burnt ends as I need to give it another go after my last oversauced attempt.

It is the rugby league grand final this (long) weekend so i am hoping to do a tri-tip and some racks of ribs.

Ken

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
Thanks gummi.

Yeah I was going to get a trimmed flat, not a whole packer. I might throw on some chicken wings too. Problem is it is at a place she has hired so i need to get my WSM there (along with the associated items) and we are going out to dinner on the firday night. :) I am actually supposed to be taking part in the festivities so don't want to bother with anything that requires too much fiddling (like doing burnt ends, etc.). I will be getting a full packer again to do burnt ends as I need to give it another go after my last oversauced attempt.

It is the rugby league grand final this (long) weekend so i am hoping to do a tri-tip and some racks of ribs.

Ken

Cool, this is for lunch or dinner? If crunched for time you could do a high heat brisket or foil and oven the butt to get it passed the stall. It will still taste delicious, I promise.  :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »
Thanks gummi.

Ken

Cool, this is for lunch or dinner? If crunched for time you could do a high heat brisket or foil and oven the butt to get it passed the stall. It will still taste delicious, I promise.  :)

The birthday stuff is for Saturday dinner. I have done a hig(er) heat pork neck before (about 300-325F ish) and it came out a little drier but still really nice - especially as it too about half the time. :)

What cooking time would you expect for an 10lb butt? 14-15 hours? What about for the trimmed flat of the same size?

Ken