Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grates for my new Performer Platinum  (Read 7973 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Grates for my new Performer Platinum
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
I really like my Craycort grate, but my OCD does get a little fired up at times.  It's really nice, though, to be able to pull out 2 or three sections to allow easier heat flow inside the grill-- you can just have grates where you need them.

A downside to Craycorts is that you need to keep them out of the weather, lest they rust.  Where standard Weber grates can hang up or be left out in the rain with much less concern.  This might be a good reason to get another kettle, though-- as a place to keep your extra grates out of the weather.  I think I'll pitch my wife on that idea.  ;-)

If you haven't gotten your grill yet, though, I'd just cook on the standard grates for awhile, see what kind of cooking you tend to do and what grates will serve you well.  Craycorts, for example, are great for searing but might be a hassle to work with if you do mostly indirect cooks.  OTOH, if you cook many steaks at a time, the Weber gourmet system might be more hindrance than help.  And remember, our grilling forebearers did everything on plain ol' non-hinged grates.  They seared with *fire*, man, and it was delicious. 
One of the charcoal people.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
What about the Charbroil grates, you can easily fit your chimney in and the inner circle fits an 18
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »
Here is a pic with the mirror grates.....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »
Here is a pic with the mirror grates.....

I can see why they sell them the way they do because it is a unique look. That having been said, I like it much better with the mirrored sections. Thanks for the photo!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »
I don't think it's for the look, I think it's for ease of manufacture.  They just make one piece and drop it in all four corners.  To make the mirror parts they need to make more molds and more parts.  More parts mean more tools and more costs and more inventories.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X