Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help required - Smoking on a 22" kettle  (Read 1129 times)

OD.1

• Happy Cooker
Help required - Smoking on a 22" kettle
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:53:32 PM »
Good Morning,

I reside in South Africa, and the grill culture (rather "braai" culture) does not lend itself to smoking. Accordingly, I have not been exposed to smoking set ups other than what I can find on Youtube, the limited advice set out on Weber's sites and in their cookbooks.

My 22" One Touch Premium is my weapon of choice. I do not own a WSM. I exclusively use the local version of Weber's briquettes and virtually have the aspect of heat and timing for cooks running between 8 minutes and 80 minutes down to a tee.

I've run a snake once with fair results, maintaining between 260 and 300 degrees for 6 hours on a total of, wait for it, 22 briquettes (started with 10 lit). I have not tried the minion method as I am unclear on the set up requirements; it seems a little rudimentary to me. I understand the aim is to run at 250 degrees or as close as possible thereto for the duration of the cook.

My intention is not to go straight to a brisket, but would like to do something like pulled pork and ribs initially.

If there is a historic thread on here dealing with the step by step lay out (with pictures or video preferably) please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help required - Smoking on a 22" kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:51:40 AM »
Hi,  I read this through and am challenged with what the specific help that you are needing.  Is there a specific issue that you are having.

RE anything we have on this site, @Troy wrote this great article a few years back on different ways to smoke on a kettle

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Help required - Smoking on a 22" kettle
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 04:39:00 AM »
You got this. The above link and your previous research is enough. The rest is just practice. A good instant read thermometer or a digital thermometer that has a probe for the meat and pit temp are nice to have when starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:42:01 AM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »
Hey there @OD.1

I'd suggest not pivoting to another method just yet. The gains from mastering what you've already started with (snake, or fuse method) will be better. So don't get too hung up on the temperature, because A) You'll likely have to adjust a little here-and-there regardless of method, and B) "overshooting" your target temp isn't always a critical failure.

There are two things I'd keep in mind. If you're seeing 260-300 with so few briquets, shut down the intake (bottom vents) more. Closing the top could snuff it out and make creosote.

The second thing is related to higher temps, let the meat ride to a higher final temp in that case. So if your pulled pork was to be stopped at like 195 when running all day at 225, that same meat would probably have to reach 200-210-215 before being as tender, if the pit was running at hotter, like 280 all day. Hotter isn't always "faster," for BBQ.

Bonus response: It should be obvious there's no such thing as one definitive way, or even "best" way, to do this.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OD.1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:44:25 PM »
Thanks for everybody's input; I reckon I will give the snake another go at some stage with St Louis style ribs.

I accept that there will likely be a learning curve in figuring out temperature regulation, which I'll hopefully get down after a few cooks.

Once I find the opportunity to embark on a low and slow again I will post pics.