Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Caveman porterhouse  (Read 2226 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Caveman porterhouse
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 07:33:26 AM »
I can totally empathize with feelings of intimidation.  I, too, was skeptical of this method.  But now that I've done it a few times, I'm a convert.  However, not everyone cares for the char the caveman method imparts; so for those guests, I compromise and use a CI grate directly on the lump.  Perhaps "caveboy"?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
Word of advice - get a THICK steak. 2" is not out of line. Nothing less than 1 1/2". And if it's not clear, never use the lid. You need the coals screaming hot, and they need all the air they can get. Bowl vents wide open. Lay down a good base of lump - never briquettes. Double up the charcoal grate like @Travis did to prevent fall-through. I used two full chimneys for my latest adventure (on a Performer) and it was just right for four big steaks. Let the lump get fully lit, you won't need it for long anyway. No time to skimp on coal when the steaks cost you $20 each. I let the steaks air dry on a cooling rack in the fridge for a couple hours, and use plenty of kosher salt. Take them out 20 mins ahead of show time. Be sure to gather your guests around, it's fun to watch! Fan the ash a little and lay those baby's down. Four minutes a side, maybe a couple flips at the most. Probe for temp. A lump or two might stick, but they shake off easy on the flip, or pick 'em off with tongs. When they get good, cover them loosely with a piece of foil for 5 mins. (Just lay a piece on top, don't wrap) Nothing left to do but eat. Bonus points if you use your hands.

C'mon guys, join the club - earn the badge!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:23:40 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
Love that badge!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
Travis, those look fantastic! I was actually going to try caveman last week with some thick-ass rib eyes but I chickened out in the end. Did them reverse sear and they turned out good but man now I wish I would have tried them caveman as they were plenty thick. 

Thanks for the inspiration, I might give it a go soon.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
@rumbar  Awesome looking ribeyes there! You won't be disappointed if you decide to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
Very cool, I'll bet they taste better than they look.
May The Smoke Be With You!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
Travis, those look fantastic! I was actually going to try caveman last week with some thick-ass rib eyes but I chickened out in the end. Did them reverse sear and they turned out good but man now I wish I would have tried them caveman as they were plenty thick. 

Thanks for the inspiration, I might give it a go soon.

Hey @RumBar , Is that a Al Pastor pineapple (SwineApple)you got going? I was going to try it this weekend.
May The Smoke Be With You!