Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tongue.  (Read 868 times)

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
Tongue.
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »
Love beef tongue and I would like to try cook it on the kettle. I plan on parboiling to peel then cooking it long and slow with a spicy rub over hickory. Anyone ever try this and have some tips or recipes to share?

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Tongue.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »
I've done exactly that and been happy with the results. The only thing I could add is that when I was a child, my mom used to make "tongue gravy" by slicing the tongue into strips and adding it to cream of tomato soup. It was a childhood favorite. She served them over bread dumplings which I was not able to duplicate. My bread dumplings were suitable for repairing potholes in the road. :-/ But the tongue gravy was just as good served over bread.
kettles, smokers...

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »
Thinking about cooking beef tongue is kind of a wayback machine. I've eaten about a metric butt-load of beef tongue, but I've never cooked it. So what I say about cooking tongue is rumor and innuendo.

My Mom cooked it about once a month in the '60s and '70s. We had Basque friends, and she learned how to cook it from them. Mom would simmer it for hours, then peel it. Then she would take it back to the butcher and he would cut the tongue into very thin slices. So it was cooked at that point, and Mom could do whatever she wanted with it. Most of the tongue would get quick-pickled and served as a side dish. The rest of the tongue was fried in Crisco in a cast-iron skillet for sandwiches.

And the only way I've ever had tongue was sliced very thinly. Basque restaurants here serve it pickled as a side. Lengua that I have seen is also thinly sliced.

But I would think that you could braise or boil it, peel it, then finish it on the grill with great results. But you might think about thin slices.

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »
They are harder to get and more expensive now (damn hipsters). We always got one with our sides of beef growing up. I make one or 2 a year and I try new preparations each time.  I made tongue tacos for one of my classes last fall.   If my butcher has one it will go on the grill this weekend. I'll be sure to post the results.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »
... and more expensive now ...
Tell me! I used to get them for 29¢/lb.Of course that was a few years ago. ;)
kettles, smokers...