Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Churrasco Brazilian BBQ  (Read 3515 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Churrasco Brazilian BBQ
« on: January 10, 2015, 05:20:34 AM »
I got interested in Churrasco grilling a while back and decided to try it. I have a multi rotisserie grill, but after I did my research, I found out that many home cooks actually don’t use these modern rotisserie grills that you see in restaurants like Fogo De Chao. They actually use an open style grill similar to Mangal (Kabob grill), but have multi levels to cook at different temp simultaneously. I also wanted something more interactive, since rotisserie grills do all the work.

Here few pictures of grills used by the home cook in Brazil

So I rigged up some thing similar with three level of cooking

I also added these shelves hangers to help hold skewers on their sides so I could position them where I could cook in 360 degrees fashion.

The main body of the grill has these slits that allow the same application

I started with chicken drumsticks and pork sausage. The chicken was seasoned with rock
Used foil containers over the skewers to reflect heat from all direction

Under shot  :)

The trick worked, the chicken was cooking nicely.

Added chicken hearts- I know, not a popular thing around here, but very traditional in Brazilian BBQ. I marinated them in a mixture of garlic, cilantro, red wine vinegar and some spices.

I couldn’t find Sirloin Cap, which what’s commonly used, so I used NY strips instead. I also  added some eggplants and mushrooms

Seasoning is minimal with coarse salt only

All cooking nicely :)

The cooking is done

The flavor was awesome and was very similar to the meal I had at Fogo De Chao. It’s really amazing how much flavor the chicken and meat had with just addition of salt. I think it allowed the charcoal flavor (lump of course) to come through in a manner I did not expect. I think the high heat and close proximity to the coal contributed to the awesome flavor and juicy meat :)

I believe Weber is making a similar set up now, which means this method is catching on :)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Churrasco Brazilian BBQ
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:23:56 AM »
Love reading your posts....always full of interesting cooks.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:16 AM »
Yet another fantastic cook up Z! Those giant skewers/KNIVES! are awesome! Do you do the comp circuit or perhaps catering? You always seem to be cooking for armies ;) ;D

I believe Weber is making a similar set up now, which means this method is catching on :)

I had a chance to test out Weber's elevated grilling system and it's excellent!! The official name is the "Weber 7615 Elevations™ Tiered Cooking System Grill Rack and Skewer Set"  (Easy right? ;))
You have the option to hang the Weber SS vegetable baskets etc from the rack freeing up the main grill space for more food or your meat. They also have a wing rack you can add that hangs drumsticks vertically and it's also excellent. I hope to pick one up sometime before spring :)

Thanks again for sharing!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:18:22 AM »
Wow looks as good if not better than what I ate at an actual Churrascaria in Brazil!
May The Smoke Be With You!

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »
Thank you ALL :)

MrHoss,
I enjoy your interesting posts too :)

JDD,
I have not made to Brazil yet, but it’s on my bucket list  ;)

SixZeroFour,
I only cook for family and friends and occasionally for my church crowd. For some reason, I always have guests on the weekends around dinnertime  ;D

The Weber Tiered Cooking System looks really nice, but I wish the rack was a little bigger to accommodate my large skewers.
BTW if you’re interested in those skewers, you can find them here:
http://www.sadaf.com/sadaf-bbq-skewer-wide-wooden-handle-90-7651/

They’re heavy duty and have multiple applications like minced meat Kabobs (Kefta).

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »
For some reason, I always have guests on the weekends around dinnertime  ;D

lol, very strange - I wonder what it could be ;) ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:52:46 PM »
Damn!  That looks awesome.