Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Travis' homemade pretzel cook  (Read 1977 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Travis' homemade pretzel cook
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
Here's my first try everyone. I didn't use lye. I used the baking soda instead. I'd say for the first time it turned out pretty good!
I used the 26r and needed more room so I used the elevated half rack for some. Those got darker than the ones on the grate. I was running about 400 so I'm thinking the ones on top were running 425ish.
I'd like to try the Lye sometime to see if I can get the pretzel texture like we all know. We are going to make a beer cheese sauce for them when we home tonight.
Sure was fun to get my youngest involved for a little bit! The kids are yelling at me to hurry up so we can go roller skating so.... see ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Travis' homemade pretzel cook
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:00:50 AM by Travis »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Travis' homemade pretzel cook
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:01 AM »
Those look SWEET!!!  Nice Job, great getting the kid involved!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
Looks great!  I think we decided if we do this again we are going to do small baguette style instead of actually forming pretzels.  I hope you had as much fun as I did despite being rushed.  I was really unsure of how it was going to turn out and had a lot of self gratification with the end result.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »
@varekai hey thanks man. It always more fun when she helps. That's the best part for me!
@Mikerocksthered I feel ya man. Thanks was  a little uncomfortable since I've never baked anything. I was happy when I opened the lid and saw... a pretzel!

Both of your guys cooks look awesome, btw! I'm glad we did this. We should do another group cook. Maybe we could make it a "thing".

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »
@Travis , I'm glad we did this too, I remember making an attempt at them probably 30 years ago, NO pretzel taste at all, It was because I basically made a salty bread stick I think... No lye or baking soda bath, THATS the key! Now I will make them more often.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
Looks great, @Travis ! I'll be giving the pretzels a shot, hopefully soon! Definitely a good time getting the kiddos involved……..
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »
Looks great, @Travis ! I'll be giving the pretzels a shot, hopefully soon! Definitely a good time getting the kiddos involved……..
Hey thanks Bob! It was very cool stepping outside of the comfort zone to try something I'd never done before. I don't bake! But, I'm definitely going to give this another whirl. It was fun and Having the little one to help roll them was the best part. Good times for sure!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 07:06:05 PM »
Looks good man!  How was the beer cheese sauce?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

Looks great @Travis. That last photo has my mouth watering (and i just finished dinner).
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
@hoosierkettle
Thanks man .we didn't get to make the sauce. We went out celebrating our anniversary and stayed too long [emoji481][emoji43]. Just got home and got kids to bed.

@cellar2ful Thanks man. It was a fun project. We should all do these group cooks more often.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »
Looks great Travis, congratulations on the anniversary!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
@wnc  hey, thanks man!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »
Looks great @Travis
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 05:18:55 AM »
Looks great @Travis
Thanks Shoestring!