Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: In praise of firebrick  (Read 9162 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
In praise of firebrick
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:58:46 AM »
I've been using firebrick to segregate charcoal for a while now and I never fail to be surprised by how well it works. Here's the stuff I'm using: http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/stoves-add-on-furnaces/stove-accessories/vogelzang-6-pack-firebrick/p-1392272-c-6881.htm

The thing that amazes me is how even the heat is across the grate on my 26 when the indirect fire is on one side of the kettle. The firebrick completely blocks the radiant heat from the coals to the near portion of the grate unlike wire or sheet metal baskets. Here are a couple cooks that demonstrate the evenness of the heat.

This chicken was done when the outside temperature was 2°F. I did rotate the chicken but really did not need to.

This was the cook during yesterday's heat wave (22°F ;D ) and I did not move these during the hour and a half they were on the grate.

I originally got these to use as a pizza stone but I find they're even more useful for indirect cooking. If you want to take your indirect cooking to the next level, these are the bomb!
kettles, smokers...

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: In praise of firebrick
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:08:44 AM »
Same ones I use Hank, they work well. Depends on how lazy I am whether I use them or the baskets.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:30 AM »
Alright, I want some.
What are the dimensions and where did you get them?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:41:01 AM »
Nice, I'll have to pick some up!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:43:39 AM »
You know what...I work for a precaster concrete manufacturer. We also sell chimney flue liners. I wonder if using one or two as the chimney basket would work like this as well....hmmm.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »
I got some firebricks at my local landscape stoneyard.  Love 'em.

And Tim in PA, when I was there I was asking for ideas for plausible pizza stones...  I asked what site-built pizza ovens used for floors, and the guy told me that his company sometimes carries high-temp concrete, but it always sells out really quick.  Do you have any thoughts about this?  If we could source some high-temp concrete, we could build some forms for pizza stones...
One of the charcoal people.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:28:07 AM »
Picked me some at Xmas, been using them the same way since. No complaints here!
I need a pizza stone next. But it was mentioned on another thread, I think I am going
to get a round Kiln stone. Good for 2000 degrees and cheaper than other options I have seen.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
I better try these!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »
Hank - good stuff.  That chicken looks wonderful.  I want to replicate your cook but I need to find a 26.75 first.  Its my 2014 weber goal....

I could not find firebrick at my local home depot, but did manage to find it at Lowes.  Makes a great stand to put a hot chimney starter on when you are cooking on a wood deck.

I need a pizza stone next. But it was mentioned on another thread, I think I am going
to get a round Kiln stone. Good for 2000 degrees and cheaper than other options I have seen

Girasmussen - Maceggs turned me on to that idea.  Found "kiln shelves" at a local fired arts supply store.  $18 for a round piece that will fit pizzas perfectly.  While I really like the purpose-built stone made by Red Sky for the weber, I am not willing to part with $55 plus shipping to get one.  The kiln shelf will work fine.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:31:35 AM »
I got some firebricks at my local landscape stoneyard.  Love 'em.

And Tim in PA, when I was there I was asking for ideas for plausible pizza stones...  I asked what site-built pizza ovens used for floors, and the guy told me that his company sometimes carries high-temp concrete, but it always sells out really quick.  Do you have any thoughts about this?  If we could source some high-temp concrete, we could build some forms for pizza stones...

I'm sure I have access to it but it would probably be cost prohibitive in small batches. Sounds like the best bet for a pizza stone is the kiln shelves mentioned in this thread.

Your idea makes my mind wonder though...

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »
Alright, I want some.
According to the link cunningly hidden in the original post, they are 4-1/2" x 9" x 1-1/4" and you can get them at Menards.  ::)  ;) You can probably find them at your local home repair materials store. (H-D dropped this brand and now carries a more expensive substitute.)

kettles, smokers...

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »
Alright, I want some.
According to the link cunningly hidden in the original post, they are 4-1/2" x 9" x 1-1/4" and you can get them at Menards.  ::)  ;) You can probably find them at your local home repair materials store. (H-D dropped this brand and now carries a more expensive substitute.)

:o DOH!!!   :-[
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »
That's a pretty good price, especially on a pack of six.  I may have to order a pack.  Thanks for the tip!
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
Found "kiln shelves" at a local fired arts supply store.  $18 for a round piece that will fit pizzas perfectly.  While I really like the purpose-built stone made by Red Sky for the weber, I am not willing to part with $55 plus shipping to get one.  The kiln shelf will work fine.

Winz

I was just over at El Dorado Nursery yesterday picking up some Grow Boxes for the summer vegetables, Where would this
fired arts supply store be located at?
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
those are the same ones i had back in IL.
Apparently they didn't make the move, so they're probably still on the back deck at my condo :\