Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling burgers  (Read 13033 times)

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
Grilling burgers
« on: October 27, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
Sorry for raising a topic that's probably boring for you grilling experts.

I'm looking for guidance in grilling hamburgers.

I've found advice such as:
  • don't choose low-fact hamburg
  • leave hamburg loose; don't pack it

But, I'm unable to produce a burger anywhere near as good as I can get at an excellent burger joint.

Any suggestions?   Pointers to write-up?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
Re: Grilling burgers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »
Most burger places cook burgers on a flattop griddle. That is how the crust on the patty is formed.

When I do burgers, its 80/20 ground brisket if I can get the butcher to grind some for me, or 80/20 ground chuck.

I do not season the meat, just the outside with dirty dalmatian (Kosher salt, fresh ground telicherry pepper, and garlic powder)

Prep the grill, my temp is hotter than 10 yards of hell. I cook burgers hot and fast, then rest. I dont go for fancy cross hatch marks. Just cook them, BUT once they go on the grate, DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Close the lid for a couple minutes, flip only once, repeat with the lid closing until your desired temp. Mine are always on the medium/medium well.

Burgers are a blank canvas. Stuff them with whatever, season them however you want. The options are endless. Practice, practice, practice. Just gives you a reason to fire the kettle.

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »
Jimmy, thanks very much for the reply!

So, it sounds like your 'secrets' are to use 80/20 hamburg and grill very hot.    I'll try that.

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »
There are no secrets. Just when you grill hot, you have to remember not to burn. Build a 2 zone fire. Have a safe place for the burgers to retreat if the burgers start to get away from you. Keeping the lid closed will help in flame ups from the grease.

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
Thanks again, Jimmy!

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »
I like to make mine really thin, that way you can cook them hot and fast and the inside will get done before the outside is a hockey puck.
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »
I get burgers at Costco - organic IIRC - that seem to come out pretty good. I cook them on a heavy cast iron grate - probably gives similar advantage to using a griddle as the grate has nearly 50% surface area compared to about 10% or less for a normal wire grate. (I also do these using the same grate on a propane grill and they still come out great.) I don't actually do them on a screaming hot grill. Flare ups seem to be worse if too hot, particularly using propane.
kettles, smokers...

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »
One article I read recommended 1" thick.   Are yours thinner than that?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:17:57 PM by SimSportPlyr »

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 08:17:29 PM »
HankB, I'll try Costco hamburg.   Thanks for the tip.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
the best burgers i've made:
- i used ground chuck (not marked 'lean' anywhere)
- came in a rectangular tray, about 1.5" thick
- i cut the giant rectangle in half to make two squares (.75lb)
- gently reshape the square of meat into a circular patty
- use fingers to slightly indent the middle to make it kinda bowl shaped
- season both sides heavily with stubbs burger seasoning (seriously, this stuff is amazing)

cook over medium heat
keep lid closed to keep away open flame and to let that white beefy fat smoke flavor your burgers
5 minutes per side made a perfect crust, indirect for another 5 minutes cooked them to medium

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 04:09:21 AM »
I make mine about 1/3 lbs each out of 80/20.  Any leaner than that tends to lack flavor.  I mix in a little seasoning (usually Lowery's, garlic powder, black pepper, and a little paprika), and cook them hot and fast.  Ideally, I like my lid thermometer to be up in the 550F range.  2-3 minutes per side flipping once, then maybe a minute on the indirect side to melt the cheese.  Thats about it.....i will never pay for a burger when I'm out.  I've always been disappointed when I have because what I can do at home is usually better.  Same with a steak. 
-Keith

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 07:52:09 AM »
Thanks, Troy.

You guys are giving me lots of great ideas to try.

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 07:53:13 AM »
Thanks, very much, Keith.

I hope I can get to the point of not wanting to eat out, either!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »
If I may extend the discussion a bit... Has anyone used a burger press to form their own burgers? If so, how well does that work?

What about grinding your own beef?
kettles, smokers...

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »
What about grinding your own beef?

Childish, I know, but reading that made me laugh....  sorry to get sidetracked. :o