Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie from April.............Few things I have made.  (Read 2811 times)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Newbie from April.............Few things I have made.
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »
Here is a few things I have made this summer:  I have more to post but didn't get them uploaded yet.  Enjoy.

Apricot Ham

Cornish Game Hens

Turkey Breast

Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: Newbie from April.............Few things I have made.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
Everything looks really good, specially the ham! 

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:40 AM »
very nice, good job.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
Thank you.  My wife's parents really enjoyed the ham.  I'm not a ham guy but even I was happy with it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
I love that ham!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
Cool!  That ham looks like a picture in one of the old Weber cook books.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »
Those are some killer cooks WYD! Please keep sharing them!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:24:52 AM »
Here is the corned beef brisket I did on Sunday.  I injected Hickory BBQ from Cajun Injection, with Dizzy Dust standard rub, and a little brown sugar on top.  Side dish was a baked potato I wrapped in bacon with Dizzy Dust, Fresh Peppercorn, little butter and some Gazebo Marinade then wrapped in foil.  Cooked both at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours til 190 degrees.  Used Jack Daniel's wood chips for the smoking (Really like these and will be using them a lot from now on).  Let sit wrapped in foil for 30 minutes and then cut thin slices and enjoyed the feast with my family.  Used the Humphrey's Charcoal Briquettes for the first time and will also be using these as much as I can from now on.  They burned over 2 1/2 hours with no reload.  Very nice and steady flow of heat with them.  Will be looking for a dealer close in my area to get them.  I was out of state and bought a bag to try. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:58:02 AM by wyd »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:44 AM »
Here is the corned beef brisket I did on Sunday.  I injected Hickory BBQ from Cajun Injection, with Dizzy Dust standard rub, and a little brown sugar on top.  Side dish was a backed potato I wrapped in bacon with Dizzy Dust, Fresh Peppercorn, little butter and some Gazebo Marinade then wrapped in foil.  Cooked both at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours til 190 degrees.  Used Jack Daniel's wood chips for the smoking (Really like these and will be using them a lot from now on).  Let sit wrapped in foil for 30 minutes and then cut thin slices and enjoyed the feat with my family.  Used the Humphrey's Charcoal Briquettes for the first time and will also be using these as much as I can from now on.  They burned over 2 1/2 hours with no reload.  Very nice and steady flow of heat with them.  Will be looking for a dealer close in my area to get them.  I was out of state and bought a bag to try. 

Whoa that looks great!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
Excellent cook all around!!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »

Ok.......this is about the ninth time I've checked into this thread & now I slowed down enough to say something......previously, I was having to drop everything & go find my drool bucket...... :o

.....these are all really great looking cookups !!!!     ;D

Game hens & turkey especially !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:26 AM »
BBQ Pork Loin with a traditional hickory bbq sauce.

Carolina Style Pork Loin

First Ribs

Sea Scallops and stuffed mushrooms with crab meat on Himilayian salt rock

Little Lime Smoking (I know not food but love the pic.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »
Lots of great looking food there! I particularly like the corned beef brisket. I wonder if you have tried plain oak vs the Jack Daniels chips and noticed a significant difference. I have access to a lot of oak that's free for the taking so I use it often. (Plus I prefer chunks to chips.)
kettles, smokers...

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 07:43:41 AM »
Lots of great looking food there! I particularly like the corned beef brisket. I wonder if you have tried plain oak vs the Jack Daniels chips and noticed a significant difference. I have access to a lot of oak that's free for the taking so I use it often. (Plus I prefer chunks to chips.)
Actually I never used oak.  So far I used peach, apple, maple, hickory and mesquite chunks.  In chips I have used alder, mesquite and jack daniels.   From what I read I think oak, hickory, and mesquite add the most noticeable flavoring while most of the others like peach, apple, and cherry add more of a subtle fruity taste.  Normally I use chunks but use all the chips I have as they where free except the JD chips.  I would of bought JD chunks but they only had large bags that cost twice as much so I wanted to try them before I bought a pretty expensive bag of wood.  I would think if I had access to free chunks of oak I would use them for sure.  After I use most of my wood I will normally by Mesquite and then one of the fruity woods and thats it.  Just needed to try everything once til I sort out what I like best overall.

Going to have Turkey pron on Sunday.  Doing my pre cook before Thanksgiving.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »
Actually I never used oak. 
I'm pretty sure the barrels that JD is aged in and from which they make the chips are oak. I suspect that the main flavor is from the oak and there is some additional flavor from the whiskey residue.

Good that you tried all of the different woods. The primary motivation for constructing my mini was for testing individual smoking woods with a variety of meats without firing up the 18 WSM. (It turned out that the mini was just a whole lot more useful than I expected and that was a bonus.)

I highly recommend keeping some cherry around as well. It seems particularly good with salmon and makes great smoked hard boiled eggs. It has the interesting property that I can actually taste the cherry flavor in what I smoke with it. Whatever produces the cherry flavor is in the wood as well as the fruit and survives the fire to deposit on the food. I'm not aware of any other smoke wood that does that.
kettles, smokers...