Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 5 Year Plan for your kettles  (Read 4619 times)

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
5 Year Plan for your kettles
« on: June 21, 2024, 02:48:32 PM »
Where will you be or hope to be in 5 years with regards to kettles and collecting?

Thinning the herd from 15 to 3? Growing from 10 to 20? Maintaining the 8 you have? Focusing on the prize buy of a Westerner?

Input appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: 5 Year Plan for your kettles
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 03:38:35 PM »
Well, currently I am not acquiring any more until I have finished my grill projects:
- 26” SSP
- Mount 18” WSM to a Performer cart (the folding table variant)
- Cleanup/restore two red MBHs (‘76 and a ‘77), then decide which I keep and which gets offered up (or also kept [emoji6])

Once those are done, then I’d like to clear out any extra grills, parts, etc. 

As far as things I have my eyes on at some point:
- Yellow MBH
- Eagles SJ

The suburbanites are cool as F, or even a red with the blue / white spotted interior, but both super rare and I appreciate the photos from others enough.

In 2 years I turn 50.  I’m buying myself a new whatever version of summit kamado grill center exists then, unless I know for sure a new model will be out when I turn 51! 🤣

Fun topic Gringo!

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 04:07:37 PM »
Hopefully adding more. Had a Seville 120 miles away slip through my hands (I’m probably in the absolute worst place in the country for finding older stuff) and some others on my radar.

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 05:17:35 PM »
Thanks guys!  Hopefully others will add.

@MoparProud, all due respect, the nation’s capital is so bad for kettle collecting!!!  We understand the struggle!!!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 05:40:24 PM »
Such a thought provoking question…. I think the crescendo of my collecting was one year ago when I took the family photos in my back yard.  I’ve bought very little since… The Budweiser Ranch and another green SSP (both same day purchases)…. I love the kettles I have and consider selling some often until time to let them go and I can’t.  Five years from now I see myself finally letting some go and keeping some gems that have sentimental value.  Daily searching for that grail really doesn’t seem like a good use of my time anymore at 56 years old.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 05:41:59 PM by bamakettles »

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 05:53:13 PM »

Such a thought provoking question…. I think the crescendo of my collecting was one year ago when I took the family photos in my back yard.  I’ve bought very little since… The Budweiser Ranch and another green SSP (both same day purchases)…. I love the kettles I have and consider selling some often until time to let them go and I can’t.  Five years from now I see myself finally letting some go and keeping some gems that have sentimental value.  Daily searching for that grail really doesn’t seem like a good use of my time anymore at 56 years old.

You should photoshop the bud rancher in there.

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 06:01:33 PM »
A little bit of both. Focusing more on kettles I actually like and not just buy everything I see.

ISO Red Outrider.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2024, 06:02:24 PM »
That's a great family photo.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2024, 06:31:16 PM »
Been doing this for about 5 years… my reef tank hobby lasted 7 years and I sold everything and got out which was a relief.  Might be headed that way with all these silly grills….The one hobby that’s withstood the test of time is HO slot car racing which began when I was very young in the mid 70s. Oh and HO trains too….

« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 06:46:16 PM by bamakettles »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2024, 11:28:14 AM »
I started collecting in 2017.  My current vintage collection has settled into only mbh up to 1980.  Hat tip to [mention]MrCPho [/mention] for that idea.   I guess that’s my way to limit collection growth but I’m probably just rationalizing things because I keep adding.  I did sell more in 22-23 than I have before so I know I can sell!  I currently have most of the 18, 22, and 26 from Arlington Heights and Wood Dale mbh era.   Sequoia and Seville included. Not bragging.   I am very grateful to generous grill fellas and made lots of friends along the way.  The fellowship keeps me here.   I also love to cook outside all year. 

I’m missing the really tough to find, high $ stuff: westerner, meat cuts, Glen blue, and nothing from the 50s.  I’ve pondered down sizing but I am still having fun and use every single vintage kettle at least 5 cooks a year.  I think when I stop using everything and lose some motivation to maintain them, I’ll consider selling.   I do enjoy seeing new kettle enthusiasts engage the hobby with the enthusiasm I did, which is good motivation to sell. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2024, 01:42:07 PM »
Thanks for insightful comments!

I plan to move to my retirement home in next 2 years and then ramp up on collecting kettles. Currently living around Washington DC suburbs and it is difficult to collect antique/vintage kettles here.

Thanks to many on the WKC (@dwnthehatch , @jebiv , @chesapeake_weber) I have access to some vintage kettle buys but living in a townhouse limits to the quantity of colors I love and appreciate.

Once I move south I plan to focus on a few specialty grills that may be a bit more $$$ but will bring tons of joy.

Maybe I’ll hit up @bamakettles on some of my upgrades!

Thanks all for adding gate content!!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 01:46:32 PM by Gringo »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2024, 03:36:03 PM »
I'm in a tough predicament,  I worked my ass and wallet off for my collection. 4 years until retirement. We are actually on SGI this weekend looking at homes for retirement. We found several that will allow the collection to make it to the island. I have many that I want to sell but the buying market doesn't exist right  now. I see my collection to look very similar in 5 years

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2024, 03:52:02 AM »
In 5 years' time, I would have like to still have all the grills I have now, and maybe 1 or 2 more rare ones, but I am ok if I don't ever get them. The hunting days for me have slowed up a bit, as I set myself a rule awhile back to only freight MLH grills home. I prefer to assist others these days if I find gems by sharing them on to see their collections grow. I am now more focused on creating the memories grilling with the grandson's and, like so many other people's stories later on in life, they look back at the photos and remember those moments (they won't care if the Westener, Glen Blue or Flat top are out) but one day when I am not around and they may go god those times were amazing. The way the collections have changed over my Kettle days is inspiring, and in another 6 years, I believe it will grow two fold.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2024, 04:20:19 PM »
My collection has gone down from 21 to 15. No more 18 inchers. The only additions I really want are a Custom (Suburbanite), and a Westerner. I'm space limited in Las Vegas. Youngest son graduating from high school next year there's a chance we move back to the midwest. If that were to happen, I imagine I'd take them all with. My wife is working on her doctorate, and there's an outside chance we could end up in Europe in two years...if that were to happen, I imagine most would go into storage, and only one would make the journey (Glen Blue 26er).  I mostly miss the days of easy searching. FB Marketplace is a mess, Offerup seems less used, and Craigslist is sparse.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2024, 06:41:42 AM »
Been letting a bunch go. They just sit in storage. I'll keep anything that is my birth year, going to get rid of my anniversary kettles and one of my Summit charcoals. I really cook on the Summit nowadays. Young kids and life have taking a toll on my collecting.