Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 5 Year Plan for your kettles  (Read 4618 times)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
5 Year Plan for your kettles
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2024, 11:14:29 AM »
5 years will be gone in a blink!

Grandson will be 10 and our granddaughter will have finished college and be working on her advanced degree.

I agree about collecting, the easy days are gone! Getting to that 18” cado full of news paper ashes, handing over the 20$ and running [emoji6]

Down to five 18s (one is red HC), 2 22s, and a C&B Performer. SJs and JJs don’t count.

Won’t be adding anything unless a ‘56 falls into my lap [emoji16] Countless other grills and colors and accessories have come and gone.

I do want to get some cooks in on the ‘69 Diem Kamado though. I have a complete green one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 11:19:50 AM by dazzo »
Dude, relax your chicken.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: 5 Year Plan for your kettles
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2024, 02:00:10 PM »
I tend to go through periods of quick cleanup/restorations and flips to thin the herd and accumulate freecheap kettles for parts.
I’m always on the lookout for unusual grills/smokers/accessories to add to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mikeb

• Happy Cooker
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2024, 11:42:44 AM »
Ha I'm going Weber to downsize.  My plan is to keep my WSM, performer and hopefully a Searwood soon.  After that I might get a 26 and hopefully stumble across a Red Kettle.

AS in SA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2024, 03:54:25 PM »
My peak was probably in the mid 2010's - started collecting in the mid 00's - think I had about 15 or so, which is small by many standards here.  I sold off most of everything including two very clean 18/22 yellows, a sequoia and very tired aristocrat - consolidated to a 2018 22 red-head, J code 26 fleetwood, 18 WSM and an outrider/jumbo-joe.  Then the glen-blue 26 happened and I couldn't resist - still in the box though.  Then a very nice aristocrat came up for sale not too far from me (thanks TJ) and I couldn't resist - definitely have a thing for 26'rs.  So, I'm up to 5 grills - 3 of which are 26rs which is overkill - as well as an early 2000's genesis gold.  Pushing 50 myself and agree that chasing down kettles doesn't feel like the best use of my time anymore, but still enjoy cooking on the ones I have.  Still get the itch now and then, but other interests/priorities typically win out.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2024, 05:05:45 PM »
Love the conversation here, something you just don’t find on Facebook groups…. Thank you @Gringo for starting this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2024, 03:03:10 AM »
Love the conversation here, something you just don’t find on Facebook groups…. Thank you @Gringo for starting this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
I agree @bamakettles
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2024, 01:20:15 PM »
There are some stellar collections represented here with everyday experts that are accessible and personable.

Thanks all for sharing experience and mature kettle collecting thoughts, insights and experiences we can all learn from!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2024, 06:50:31 AM »
Currently I have 7 kettles. I try to keep it around 5 to make sure the wife doesn’t get too upset with the footprint in the garage. I look on marketplace and the others maybe once or twice a day to just keep my eyes peeled for some rare ones. I’d grab any MLH I can find. Mostly right now though, I’m just trying to get back into using the kettles. I haven’t been able to use them regularly for a long time and I just want to get better at using them. I check the forum regularly and will try to post more as I’m cooking.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2024, 05:10:58 PM »
Downsizing for sure.  My kids,  nieces and nephews are all getting older so larger family gatherings are few and far between.  Like most have said I feel time is better spent on other things (like cooking instead of refreshing pages). 

ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2024, 06:20:04 PM »
I just unloaded a 22” WSM, Gold OTG and Red Fade OTS in a tough Seattleland marketplace

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!