Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Requirements - Weber 26 Inch Kettle  (Read 6771 times)

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
Charcoal Requirements - Weber 26 Inch Kettle
« on: September 05, 2023, 04:32:05 PM »
I used to have a 22 inch Weber Kettle and moved up to a 26 inch.  I am still trying to nail down the charcoal quantity levels for various things.  I realize there are endless scenarios.

I tried using a full chimney of charcoal lit up with another 12-15 unlit coals in a regular Slow and Sear unit (not XL) in the Weber 26.  With bottom and top vents wide open, my Thermoworks Smoke reported about 325 deg max at grate level on the indirect side.  I would've preferred to each 350-375 deg that day.  It was about 90 deg out and moderate wind.  I figured this would be enough fuel to reach my target, but obviously not.  On the direct side, the Weber temp gauge showed 525 deg.

What amount of fuel do you use in similar conditions to reach a 375-400 deg temp on the indirect side in a Weber 26?  I was using Kingsford Blue briquettes.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Charcoal Requirements - Weber 26 Inch Kettle
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 03:58:17 AM »
That’s odd because that much coal with vents wide open should very easily give you the temperature you want.   

Is the charcoal fresh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 04:14:11 AM »
my thoughts too, I easily achieve those temps with that setup in my 26
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 05:28:07 AM »
Hard to beat the SNS xl paired with drip n griddle on a 26 which directs the intake air flow through the charcoal basket, allowing you to attain most any temp desired.  Before upgrading you might try lining the remaining charcoal grate (outside the SNS) with foil which does the same thing.  Exhaust vent always opposite the SNS.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 05:49:35 AM »
With a 26", I find it necessary to leave the lid cracked open until it gets up to temp.  It just speeds the whole thing up.  Once it's going good, then dial it in with the vents.  No reason to struggle along at low temps. when you can just crack the lid.

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 12:45:57 PM »
The charcoal is probably 8-10 years old at least new in bag.  It was from my late Father's garage.   I am using the porcelain drip pan from SNS along with the regular Slow and Sear.  Exhaust vent is opposite the SNS.  Do you think the age of the charcoal may play a part in this?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Charcoal Requirements - Weber 26 Inch Kettle
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »
Yes.  Even in an unopened bag charcoal absorbs moisture and that’s likely your cause, especially after years and years.  It cannot get hot because it’s burning off H2O. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 02:24:07 PM »
A 26” definitely takes more time to reach temp and sometimes I do encounter an issue maintaining temp but not often. There’s a lot of air to heat up in there.

I generally do a full chimney and a decent amount of unlit under the lit coals to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 04:27:45 PM »
Yeah I continue to struggle with this 26 inch kettle.  Today, I tried to make St Louis Ribs (one slab) in it.  Used the original Slow and Sear in the 26.  Started off with 15 or so lit charcoals to the side of the basket and added a basketful of unlit charcoal.  I tried starting with the bottom vents 1/2 open and top vent 1/4 to 1/2 open with the goal of 250-275 deg temps.  I filled the Slow and Sear water pan with 4 cups of boiling water.   I eventually had to fully open the top vent and the bottom was 1/2 to 3/4 open.

I even used newer briquette charcoal.  Took 5 1/2 - 6 hrs to finish a 3 lb slab of ribs.  Seems ridiculous.  It is so damn hard to maintain a 275 deg temp in this kettle.  My fuel started to run out at the 4 hr mark I added another 15-20 unlit coals on top.  For a while, I was in the 250-260 deg temp range, but when you take the lid off, temps drop down a long time in the 26 and take quite some time to rebound.  Backing temps down in this kettle never seems to be a concern.

With that water pan full, what do you think the highest achievable temp is with the Slow and Sear with what I described. I assume one slab of ribs shouldn't take that long.  First time I made them.  I was shooting for an end temp of 205 deg approx. 

I guess I need to get it out of my head that thing thing doesn't require SUBSTANTIALLY more charcoal to get what I need.  I'm guessing I need way more than 12-15 lit charcoals to start to reach 275 deg in a 26 inch Kettle If using the SNS water pan.

I love the space in the 26, but it continues to be a battle.  Temps were mid 70s and sunny all day with low winds. All temperature gauges are accurate so I know that's not the issue.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 04:32:10 PM by LuvtoGrill1974 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 04:52:36 PM »
IMO that grill needs a SNS XL and DNG XL.  Never had any issues dialing in any temps with that setup.  That said, I’ve had quite a bit of success with my Kamado Joe C3 and you might consider a pellet grill if you want something easy….

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 05:11:38 PM »
What is a DNG XL?  I guess the question is what amount of charcoal did you specifically use to dial in the temps  I mentioned?  A larger basket would obviously provide more runtime, but at the same time a Youtuber proved the quantity of charcoal used between a SNS XL and SNS 2.0 weren't that different. 

I am guessing I am going too low with charcoal quantities out of habit using a 22 inch kettle before.  I read a few testimonials the 26 doesn't require a lot more fuel for short cooks than a 22, but I call BS on this.

I am not that intrigued with a pellet grill due to space constraints and weight. 

IMO that grill needs a SNS XL and DNG XL.  Never had any issues dialing in any temps with that setup.  That said, I’ve had quite a bit of success with my Kamado Joe C3 and you might consider a pellet grill if you want something easy….

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2023, 05:14:06 PM »
Something else is going on because I almost never have temp issues. Like stated, on occasion I have a temp drop.

I have never used a slow n sear. I’ve also never had fuel run out after 4 hours. Nor have I used anything other than cold tap in a pan. I’ve also never temped my ribs🤣

Having looked at pics of SNS stuff, you definitely need the larger to go with the larger grill. And from reports I’ve read you should be able to get 6 hours EASY with that setup.

My suggestion would be ditch the crutch and go old school and see what happens. Use a foil pan with water on one side, and put your unlit charcoal on the other and dump some lit. This is the exact principle the SNS is using only with walls. See what shakes.

The issue is in the process, not the grill. We just need to nail down the process that works for YOU

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 06:10:26 PM »

This makes sense.  I just cannot justify the cost of the SNS XL and SNS Drip and Griddle.  Combined that's an insane amount ($300 after tax approx). I think I'm going to increase my 'lit' fuel amounts by 30-50% just as a test to see where it puts me in the Weber 26.  If I was to drop $300 on those two items, I'd be inclined to try a PK Grill for a bit more  I was using the original SNS w/attached water chamber and SNS Porcelain drip pan both made for the Weber 22.  Yes there are some gaps, but I had them already so figured it was worth a try.

Something else is going on because I almost never have temp issues. Like stated, on occasion I have a temp drop.

I have never used a slow n sear. I’ve also never had fuel run out after 4 hours. Nor have I used anything other than cold tap in a pan. I’ve also never temped my ribs🤣

Having looked at pics of SNS stuff, you definitely need the larger to go with the larger grill. And from reports I’ve read you should be able to get 6 hours EASY with that setup.

My suggestion would be ditch the crutch and go old school and see what happens. Use a foil pan with water on one side, and put your unlit charcoal on the other and dump some lit. This is the exact principle the SNS is using only with walls. See what shakes.

The issue is in the process, not the grill. We just need to nail down the process that works for YOU

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 06:58:01 PM »
Try without the water.  Just put a pan, foil, or whatever under your ribs, etc.  Not sure it’ll cure the problem, but I don’t think you really need the water in the 26”.  You have plenty of space to keep direct heat  off what you’re smoking.

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 09:07:13 PM »
Do most of you feel it's easier to maybe put a little too much lit charcoal is the kettle and dial back temps using top and bottom vents vs trying to manage temps moreso with # of lit coals to start?  I know both play a part of course along with outside temps/wind.  Just wondering how you all perceive that issue.