Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello new grill owner  (Read 518 times)

Dean65

• Happy Cooker
Hello new grill owner
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
Hi my name is Dean,
I just turned 18 and a couple weeks ago me and my friend came across an abandoned red Weber grill. I took it home, found out that is from 1985 and have been trying to clean it up and restore it a little and I wanted to get advise on what I should do or how to clean it up. It has some chips in the paint and the bottom outside is rusted shut around the nut and the ash catcher is missing but the clips are still there and the ash scraper vent at the bottom the handle is broken off and rusted shut. The handle around the grill are all there but are all missing the wood handles. I would like to know what I should do I have been cleaning it it has all the grates but they were rusted badly the bottom charcoal grate is still rusted the cooking grate is a little rusted but come off with a brush but oxidizes easily when in contact with water. I am excited to be apart of the Weber grill community.
Thank you

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hello new grill owner
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin, Dean.  Congrats on the redhead!  For a kettle cleaning lesson, check out Troy's vid on youtube. Search WKC.  For other resto tips, check out the opening page here.  The old ash sweeps need to be cut out and replaced.  New sweeps and ash catchers can be got at Amazon. I would also replace the cooking grate.  Amazon has those, as well as some local hardware stores, like Ace. Aftermarket grates from other companies are also an option. Custom wood handles are available at grillhandle.com.  Scavenged plastic ones will work too.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:08:52 PM by Grillagin »

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:11:16 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 06:28:23 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga congrats on your first kettle. Search button can be your friend, plus the restoration tips on front page
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Dean65

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Hello from California and thank you, I just got an amazon gift card and I will be getting some new sweeps and and ash catcher. I also forgot to mention that the triangle is also snapped in one spot and i am also cleaning the rust off of it too. I plan to work on it this summer and the coming year go fishing and bring it along for the fun.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Dean65.  Where in California are you?  We have a fairly large contingent of WKC members in the Bay Area.  If you have't found the restoration tutorials on the WKC Home Page, here are links that you might find informative.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean65

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 02:11:41 PM »
I am from San Gabriel valley if you are familiar with Azusa a 50’s town everything from A to Z in the USA. Thank you I read over those restoration links and I am going to start very soon. I’ll be taking pictures a long the way.