Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking with Weber kettle  (Read 2582 times)

kmunz187

• Smokey Joe
Smoking with Weber kettle
« on: December 12, 2018, 06:20:06 AM »
Hey guys new to the forum I've had my Weber for over a year now. Growing up my dad always owned Weber grills but he never used them for smoking. I've noticed when I follow YouTube videos or other recipes on the internet it takes me about twice the time to smoke things on my kettle as it does in the video. Is the dome temperature not a reliable way of judging the temperature inside the grill? Maybe I should invest in a grate thermometer? Any tips would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoking with Weber kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:53:56 AM »
Hey guys new to the forum I've had my Weber for over a year now. Growing up my dad always owned Weber grills but he never used them for smoking. I've noticed when I follow YouTube videos or other recipes on the internet it takes me about twice the time to smoke things on my kettle as it does in the video. Is the dome temperature not a reliable way of judging the temperature inside the grill? Maybe I should invest in a grate thermometer? Any tips would be appreciated.

There is usually disparity between the dome temp and the grate temp.  Get a grate thermometer for accurate temps.....or get a dual probe thermometer, one for grate and one for meat. 

I run the wire through the vent.  Others will rest the lid right over the wire.  That method pinched and ruined 2 of my probe wires.   But others have had no issues with it.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
What have you cooked and how long did it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 11:58:06 AM »
@kmunz187 great question.  I am also newer to having a weber kettle and have been experimenting with using it to smoke this summer.  I've done ribs, brisket, and smoked a chicken on my 22" master touch.  I have found no real difference in the time it takes.  I have a dual probe thermometer as @Foster Dahlet mentioned.  It really helped me dial in the "real" temperature at the grate level.  If the lid temp is 40 degrees hotter than the actual grate temp...that will slow down your cook time tremendously.

I've watched a ton of youtube videos as well.  Some of them are awesome and very detailed.  Just be a little careful with some of them.  I've noticed some...lets call it "creative editing"...being done to some videos to make guys look like smoking geniuses.  Try searching these forums too for "smoked ribs", "setting up for smoke", etc.  There's a TON of valuable information right here in these forums.  And from everything I've seen, the grillers and smokers on here are honest and open with information.  This has been a great resource for me as I was learning.  And if your next smoke doesn't go right...keep asking questions!  The grillfellas on here will be quick to share their own experiences or point you in the right direction.

Happy smoking!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »
I find that some temps and grate temps are different while grilling, but come in sync when doing longer cooks or low n slow cooks.
It won’t hurt to invest in a thermometer that reads grate or has dual probes. It would help in learning the difference between some and grate and how to adjust for times when you don’t use them. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
I never use a probe thermo in my kettles...I recognize the fact that the lid temp is gonna be higher and adjust accordingly...

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
I find that some temps and grate temps are different while grilling, but come in sync when doing longer cooks or low n slow cooks.
It won’t hurt to invest in a thermometer that reads grate or has dual probes. It would help in learning the difference between some and grate and how to adjust for times when you don’t use them. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"some temps and grate temps are different while grilling, but come in sync when doing longer cooks or low n slow cooks. " 

Absolutely.  Mine starts off about anywhere from 50 to 70 degrees differently from grate to lid.....later on in the cook they are equal.  Having the grate probe is helpful in figuring out when the grill is ready for the food, though.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

kmunz187

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
I've really only done baby back ribs, spare ribs, and chicken. But for example I did a 5lb spatchcock chicken last weekend and it took about 4 hours with the dome temp around 400. I also did a rack of spare ribs with the 3 2 1 method with the dome temp varying between 250 and 300 the whole time. It's just odd sometimes things will cook in an appropriate time then others won't. Made me wonder if my thermometer on the dome is reliable.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »
I've really only done baby back ribs, spare ribs, and chicken. But for example I did a 5lb spatchcock chicken last weekend and it took about 4 hours with the dome temp around 400. I also did a rack of spare ribs with the 3 2 1 method with the dome temp varying between 250 and 300 the whole time. It's just odd sometimes things will cook in an appropriate time then others won't. Made me wonder if my thermometer on the dome is reliable.

I'm no genius....lots of folks on this board with better skills than me.  But a 5 lb bird should not take 4 hrs.  My 20 lb turkey took that long on thanksgiving.  Chickens of that size usually take me 1:15 to 1:30 hrs.   

How much charcoal are you using?  How long are you letting the charcoal go before you dump to the side?  How long are you giving the grill to heat up after that?

How are your top and bottom vents set up?  Where is your thermometer?  Over the coals or opposite side of the coals? 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:22:40 PM by Foster Dahlet »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoking with Weber kettle
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 05:59:59 AM »
That’s too long for chicken. You can ignore the temp gauge. Just dump a full lit chimney of coals opposite the chicken. Leave top vent open and bottom vent half.

If your using a chimney to start, don’t let them ash completely over before dumping. Dump them when the flames start to poke out the top. No gadgets or thermometers needed. About an hour and a half the chicken will be done. Still check with an instant read if you have one.

Empty drip pan below the chicken is a good idea.

kettlefever

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
When I got my first kettle about 10 years ago, I placed a weber thermometer in the dome.  I was new to smoking at that time and was pretty naive regarding dome temps and grate temps.  I tried as hard as I could to keep my dome temps between 225 and 250 and ultimately that led to ribs taking ALL DAY to cook.  At the time, it never dawned on me that the dome temp and grate temps were quite different.  After doing some research, multiple sites kept saying you need to have a thermometer at the grate level.  I finally bought a maverick digital thermometer and was amazed at the difference from the grate temp to the dome temp.  The temperature difference was upwards of 75+ degrees.   The light bulb finally came on as to why my ribs were taking so dang long to cook. Good luck with your cooks, hope this helps.

At this point, I still own a maverick digital thermometer (Maverick Et-732) as well as Smoke from thermoworks.  They both are great products.
I also eventually installed a Tel-Tru BQ100 thermometer in the dome around the grate level.  If I'm smoking something and I don't feel like getting out the digital thermometers, I still like being able to see what the temps are at food level. 

I recently acquired a gently used limited edition kettle for $90 and moved the Tel-Tru thermometer from my original kettle to the new one.  I can't wait to put it to work.

red.jpg" border="0

mod2.jpg" border="0
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:52:46 PM by kettlefever »

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 12:28:06 AM »

There is usually disparity between the dome temp and the grate temp.  Get a grate thermometer for accurate temps.....or get a dual probe thermometer, one for grate and one for meat. 

I run the wire through the vent.  Others will rest the lid right over the wire.  That method pinched and ruined 2 of my probe wires.   But others have had no issues with it.

....yea, I always wondered on the best method to trail the blimmin wires!!!

I have always just had them resting on the side of the kettle but as you say, when you close the lid, it crimps the wires and I have often wondered if this will cause any damage to the wire itself and/or probe (i.e. it may not give an accurate reading.)

I am cooking a turkey on my Weber Master Touch for Xmas and I was debating on whether to just have the wires coming through the top vent instead but reading your post, I think I will indeed just do this anyway!

kmunz187

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »
When I got my first kettle about 10 years ago, I placed a weber thermometer in the dome.  I was new to smoking at that time and was pretty naive regarding dome temps and grate temps.  I tried as hard as I could to keep my dome temps between 225 and 250 and ultimately that led to ribs taking ALL DAY to cook.  At the time, it never dawned on me that the dome temp and grate temps were quite different.  After doing some research, multiple sites kept saying you need to have a thermometer at the grate level.  I finally bought a maverick digital thermometer and was amazed at the difference from the grate temp to the dome temp.  The temperature difference was upwards of 75+ degrees.   The light bulb finally came on as to why my ribs were taking so dang long to cook. Good luck with your cooks, hope this helps.

At this point, I still own a maverick digital thermometer (Maverick Et-732) as well as Smoke from thermoworks.  They both are great products.
I also eventually installed a Tel-Tru BQ100 thermometer in the dome around the grate level.  If I'm smoking something and I don't feel like getting out the digital thermometers, I still like being able to see what the temps are at food level. 

I recently acquired a gently used limited edition kettle for $90 and moved the Tel-Tru thermometer from my original kettle to the new one.  I can't wait to put it to work.

red.jpg" border="0

mod2.jpg" border="0
Yes! I've had ribs take all day as well. It looks like investing in a thermometer to keep at grate level will help me.

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »
I have a WSM and have found when i smoke on the kettle vs the WSM the kettle gives a stronger smoke flavor. Ive had great luck doing the snake method on the 26" too kind of set it and forget it. I like that red kettle set up.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »
Back to the initial question. The lid thermometer just tells you, "That's Hot!" Buy an oven thermometer for six or eight bucks at the grocery store... or you can also splurge on our favorite toys, but - here is a simple way if you don't want the larger investment.

Get the kettle going.  Put the food on. Put the oven thermometer a couple of inches from the food. Wait a bit.

Lift the lid and check the thermo right away - and there is your temp. Check the temp right away after lifting the lid because it will change the reading rapidly when the lid comes off.