Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking with Weber kettle  (Read 2583 times)

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
Re: Smoking with Weber kettle
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 05:56:18 AM »
Awww, that side thermometer is sweet! Pretty kettle, too. I just have a black 1990 22 showing some sun bleaching.

There are many ways to arrange heat and food in a kettle for smoking. I learned the basics on a little 18-inch, just direct over a fire of maple. I controlled the air flow by the top vent, and apparently I'm the only person in the world who does that.  If I took the lid off I'd have a campfire in about 30 seconds.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 08:16:48 AM »
I NEVER depend on a lid thermo. Never. To monitor my chamber temp, I have an old Maverick that I use, just drop the probe thru the top vent hole down to grate level. It has never let me down, as long as I replenish the batteries now and then... :-)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 02:00:29 PM »
I always use a remote to measure temps when smoking.  I used Mavericks for years and still have one that I strap to the handle on my Roti to track meat temps when I spin.  I now have one from Adrenaline BBQ Co.  One unit - 4 probes.

Oh, I usually just run the probe wires between the kettle and the lid.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »
Back to the initial question. The lid thermometer just tells you, "That's Hot!" Buy an oven thermometer for six or eight bucks at the grocery store... or you can also splurge on our favorite toys, but - here is a simple way if you don't want the larger investment.

Get the kettle going.  Put the food on. Put the oven thermometer a couple of inches from the food. Wait a bit.

Lift the lid and check the thermo right away - and there is your temp. Check the temp right away after lifting the lid because it will change the reading rapidly when the lid comes off.

Totally agree here.  I use oven thermos a lot.  Good advice!  Here is an example...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:34:58 AM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson