Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I don't often fire up more than one cooker.  (Read 3076 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
I don't often fire up more than one cooker.
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »
But today I have need to. I want to cook this for a while w/out disturbing it.

And I have some red peppers to roast.

The best solution was to put the beef ribs on the mini-WSM and use a kettle for the other stuff. Since there's not much other stuff, I fired up my '74 18 for the second time in two days. The peppers are done now and I put three foiled and oiled potatoes on the coals. Now I need to pick some green onions to roast along with some broccoli when the ribs are almost done. The ribs are cruising along at about 260°F. I'd like a little more, but the mini seems like it cooks hotter than the temperature would indicate so I'll let it go for now. It's been on an hour now and I have 2 1/2 hours before SWMBO gets home and expects dinner.
kettles, smokers...

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Re: I don't often fire up more than one cooker.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
Can't wait to see the end result!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
looking good so far Hank!  And hardly any rain today....yet!  Its comin, hope youre almost done!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
I did get rained on a little bit. Luckily it passed within a few minutes.

Oiled and foiled spuds on the coals.

Ribs about half way done.

With the meat (and spuds) done, I added the remaining coals from the smoker to the kettle to grill some veggies. (The onions came from my garden.)

Time to eat!

The bones had very little meat on them but what was there was good. It turned out that three hours was enough. I usually grill potatoes but baked (with a little browning of the skin) was a nice changeup. The onions are kind of stringy, but they're mild and sweet and taste good. I guess we get some extra fiber from them. ;)

For further detail on the cook, I have blogged it at http://smpoke-on.blogspot.com/2013/05/beef-ribs-and-some-veggies.html
kettles, smokers...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
Gotta like having options! ;D  That is a good looking plate of food!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
Looks good Hank....I routinely use two grills and sometimes 3 or 4 depending on the cook.  Gotta like the versatility.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:59 AM »
Looks good Hank....I routinely use two grills and sometimes 3 or 4 depending on the cook.  Gotta like the versatility.

Same as you G, almost always two.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
Every Sunday I have a fairly large crew at the house, and I routinely have two going, generally four is the norm, and when it gets good five....i just need to choose which ones will get the nod.  Always mesa azul and number one.  Then maybe the 26.  Last week the yellow got the call, just to see it turn orange....

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:36:25 PM »
Every Sunday I have a fairly large crew at the house, and I routinely have two going, generally four is the norm, and when it gets good five....i just need to choose which ones will get the nod.  Always mesa azul and number one.  Then maybe the 26.  Last week the yellow got the call, just to see it turn orange....
I recall pictures of one of your holiday cooks where you had a whole lineup going!
kettles, smokers...

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 05:46:24 AM »
Wow! Your camera takes crystal-clear pics!! Nice looking meal.

I have never tried the foil wrapped taters on the coals ... same goes for the peppers. Gotta give it a go sometime. Thanks for sharing.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.