Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hidden Beauty  (Read 13269 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hidden Beauty
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
The lid looks better than I thought it would.  Nice job, so far!  It looks like the bowl will reveal some issues.  Interesting project.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 04:13:37 AM »
Really looking good Jeff. Can't wait to see the finished product.  It'll be cool to see her fired up and blushing again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 04:18:22 AM »
That's amazing.  Even with the large chip it shows how strong the porcelain really is.  Never would have guessed it would look as good as it does under all that paint.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 04:21:49 AM »
It looks like the bowl will reveal some issues. 

Yeah...it will.  That's unfortunate.  But it will be back on its feet and in a cooking fleet.  :)
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 05:19:37 AM »
Lookin good Jeff!

Personally I like the Rust, Rot & Retrofit but that paints gotta go....

Im anxious to see whats under the paint around the sockets and in the crazy zone.

That ash pan will make a good wall hanger in your garage.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
 Wow Jeff, that thing is looking amazing.  I'm not totally surprised, but I would like to know what paint the previous owner used to make it black.  We all tell people "DO NOT PAINT YOUR KETTLE, IT WILL NOT LAST", but it looks like someone out there figured it out!  I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »
Wow Jeff, that thing is looking amazing.  I'm not totally surprised, but I would like to know what paint the previous owner used to make it black.  We all tell people "DO NOT PAINT YOUR KETTLE, IT WILL NOT LAST", but it looks like someone out there figured it out!  I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!
Don't know what paint it was. It's a flat black with many layers.  If you look at the original photo before I started l, it was thin in spots around the top of the lid. Also, the orange peel texture is holding the paint pretty good too.  It's not completely smooth

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
Great job so far Jeff.

I wonder if the paint is Stove Paint.  It's usually flat black. My dad painted some rust spots on my old redhead a long time ago and that stuff was a PITA to get off.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
That's looking pretty swell! 

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »
Looking great so far Jeff.  A real labor of love!!  Good luck with the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
Great job!  My yellow (my first colored grill and the one that started it all for me) was found at the curb on trash night - painted black.  I initially grabbed it because of the 3 daisy wheels on the bowl - my only other experience with Webers at the time was my WSM.  I knew if I could control temps with the three wheels on the WSM, I could do the same on a kettle.  I noticed a little yellow underneath the black but didn’t know what I had until probably a year later when @Bob BQ saw it and tried trading me a couple of grills for it.  That’s when I joined the club and it is history from there!  Here is my restore: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/yellow-kettle-restore-newbie-problems-(pic-heavy)/

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
Great job!  My yellow (my first colored grill and the one that started it all for me) was found at the curb on trash night - painted black.  I initially grabbed it because of the 3 daisy wheels on the bowl - my only other experience with Webers at the time was my WSM.  I knew if I could control temps with the three wheels on the WSM, I could do the same on a kettle.  I noticed a little yellow underneath the black but didn’t know what I had until probably a year later when @Bob BQ saw it and tried trading me a couple of grills for it.  That’s when I joined the club and it is history from there!  Here is my restore: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/yellow-kettle-restore-newbie-problems-(pic-heavy)/

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Thanks for posting this @lowbrass.  Yours was in much better shape the one I found.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Sorry to hear the graffiti remover didn't work out as well as we both hoped, but it is nice to see you reviving this.  It's looking nice. 
regards,
Hal

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »
 Been a little while since I updated this and had time to work on it.
So after spending about an hour and a half on the bowl, I uncovered what I knew what be some fairly significant heat damage.   It was more than I could see under the black paint. This bowl is probably one of the more extreme examples of overheating and overall abuse.  One of the main positive things is that the leg sockets are very strong. 
I did try lacquer thinner...and it was helpful with removing the paint, but the fumes were too strong and in my garage and with a natural gas heater in there, I didn't want to risk any type of ignition.  With all the chips and crazing, the cleanup is extremely challenging.  Here are some pics of today's progress.
Destined to be a "cooker"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »
That pattern does look kind of cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.