Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sticky Guinness Chicken with Hasselback Potatoes and Lemon Garlic Zucchini  (Read 1849 times)

Schuey

• WKC Brave
Cooking up a storm in the plum coloured Weber

Always a favorite at my place.

Sticky Guinness Spatchcock (butterflied) Chicken

Ingredients:

1 lovely chicken, about 2kg, at room temperature, leg tips removed

Dry Rub:
1 ½ tablespoons black pepper
1 ½ tablespoons salt
1 ½ tablespoons of garlic powder

Sticky Guinness Sauce:
1 440ml can of Guinness
500ml Barbecue sauce (I use my own, see my rib recipe)
4 tablespoons dark soy sauce

Directions:
1. Cut out the back bone of the chicken, then press down on the breast plate to snap the bone.

2. Mix the dry ingredients and cover the chicken evenly, then place back in the fridge until needed.

3. Light a full chimney of briquette's and place in two charcoal baskets, on either side of the charcoal grate. Open both the lid and bowl vents fully and put lid on to allow the Weber to get to temperature.

4. Place all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes to allow to thicken.

5. Place the chicken on the cooking grate, between the two charcoal baskets and cook until an internal temperature of 165F is reached in the thighs.

6. Place the chicken into a foil tray and cover completely with the Guinness Sauce, leave some for serving. At this point you will want to monitor the the breast meat internal temperature as it tends to take longer to get to temp, maybe another 15 minutes or so.

7. After 15 minutes, take the chicken off the heat and rest for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, cut up chicken and dress with left over sauce.

Hasselback Potatoes

Ingredients:
1-2 potatoes per person
Duck fat
Grated tasty cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh chives.

Directions:
1. Slice the potatoes with even slices, making sure to leave the bottom the potatoes intact. I use a chop stick to cut down to as a guide.Place them in a foil tray.

2. Melt the duck fat and spread over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. Place in the Weber, between the two charcoal baskets that are fully lit as soon as the coals are in there (the potatoes take longer than the chicken to cook)

4. When you take the chicken off the top grill, cover the potatoes with a mixture of both cheeses. This will give you time to grill the zucchini, the potatoes come off the heat last.

5. When you take the potatoes off the heat, serve immediately and sprinkle with finely chopped chives.

Grilled Lemon Garlic Zucchini

Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together butter, garlic, Italian seasoning and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Brush zucchini slices with butter mixture.

2. Place directly over coals and grill until charred on both sides and just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes per side.

3. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.

It wasn't me......Well maybe it was..

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Great food and detailed post!  I will definitely give this a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Love the photos and food looks delicious!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
You should be running a separate food blog. Your posts are great.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Cool pics and excellent cook!  I'd tear up a plate of that!

Schuey

• WKC Brave

That would have to be the best compliment I've ever received, thank you 😊

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador

Before I read his comment I was thinking, "I'm gonna have to keep a separate browser tab open just for this new guy Schuey's cook posts."

Seriously, if these recipes are yours, or adaptations, along with the photography you need to consider publication of some sort.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schuey

• WKC Brave

Well, I love to be proven wrong.

These are my recipes & photos. I'm glad others like them.

As always, I appreciate all compliments

Before I read his comment I was thinking, "I'm gonna have to keep a separate browser tab open just for this new guy Schuey's cook posts."

Seriously, if these recipes are yours, or adaptations, along with the photography you need to consider publication of some sort.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
In process!

I wanted to use up some sweet potatoes to went with a butter/cinnamon thing there. Tiny sumbitches, too, which made the Hasselback cuts less than easy. Couldn't find the chopsticks that weren't hand carved all the way from Japan, so I used a pointy awl-like tool to limit the knife's travel.

And I didn't want raw chicken fat dripping on the taters so the chicken is in the grill-lid of my Camp Chef "square not square" dutch oven.

My butterfly technique is pretty lame. The bird is laying mostly flatter-er but not opened up all the way. I intend to keep the heat on it with a small chimney of extra coals added soon.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
STOP... You had me at Guinness.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Sticky Guinness Chicken with Hasselback Potatoes and Lemon Garlic Zucchini
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
I substituted some seasonings and totally forgot all about the chives I'd bought. Had to adjust everything on the fly as I was also tasked with dropping off/picking up the kids.

The grill lost heat despite gently shuffling coals before the 1 hour mark AND adding more fully-lit charcoal, about 20-25 or so pieces. It then dropped to 250. It's not cold outside. At this point I was looking for closed vents and clogged charcoal holders but all was clear.

Made the meat sauce but the chicken was DONE before I could apply it on the grill. Yanked it off, applied the sauce and left it covered in the kitchen. Pulled potatoes, grilled veggies and we ate.

Schuey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »
I substituted some seasonings and totally forgot all about the chives I'd bought. Had to adjust everything on the fly as I was also tasked with dropping off/picking up the kids.

The grill lost heat despite gently shuffling coals before the 1 hour mark AND adding more fully-lit charcoal, about 20-25 or so pieces. It then dropped to 250. It's not cold outside. At this point I was looking for closed vents and clogged charcoal holders but all was clear.

Made the meat sauce but the chicken was DONE before I could apply it on the grill. Yanked it off, applied the sauce and left it covered in the kitchen. Pulled potatoes, grilled veggies and we ate.

I know every time I leave a bbq alone, it always goes wrong. It's an unspoken truth. I usually only leave mine when picking up my kids as well :P

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »
I'm of the opinion that given a choice between lots of coals regulated by air intake, vs fewer coals regulated by their limited numbers, the latter is a losing strategy.

But absent any sort of quality container such a Slow 'n Sear and/or a well-sealed grill kettle, the only choice is to baby the damn thing and make adjustments as you go. It's frustrating at times.

Schuey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »
I'm of the opinion that given a choice between lots of coals regulated by air intake, vs fewer coals regulated by their limited numbers, the latter is a losing strategy.

But absent any sort of quality container such a Slow 'n Sear and/or a well-sealed grill kettle, the only choice is to baby the damn thing and make adjustments as you go. It's frustrating at times.

I think with Weber Kettles, I find a set up that I've tried and tested to make my life run as smooth as possible.

I have a couple of Vortex's (Kettle Kones)

a couple of Tip Top Temp's

a JG BBQ Offset plate

and also the standard Weber charcoal baskets.

They all have their use, like the snake and minion methods.

I have multiple probes for keeping an eye on temps but I find I'm using them less and less on many of my cooks these days.