Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Brats  (Read 3588 times)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Beer Brats
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
I've done beer brats several different ways, with varying results. Is there a consensus on the best way to do them?

Started by cooking some onions, garlic, and green peppers in beer (Pabst Blue Ribbon):

Seared the brats before putting them into the bath. What do you guys do? Cook them in the bath first and then sear? I've had mixed results with both.

Cooking in the bath. Too much beer?

A little overcooked to my liking, but still tasty. The final product:
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

kemmons

• WKC Brave
Re: Beer Brats
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
Many ways to skin this cat.  Exactly as you described either way works.  Low direct heat works good.  Sometimes I vortex and sear as needed once cooked through.  Some people like them burnt to shit too.  I'm not one of them but you can do brats with great results any number of ways.  Just depends new on how you like them really

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I may need to invest in one of these vortexes I keep reading about...
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
Got some Johnsonville brats fired up with Coppertop, the Vortex, and a load of RO briquets. Best part is, kids NEVER complain about them...

Served with sauteed onions, garlic, sweet peppers, in a tomato based sauce...

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
Brats look great! What else was in the tomato sauce?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
I've been cooking brats for years and still change my mind in what my favorite way to cook them is. Like others said, there's lots of successful methods. My least favorite way is indirect then sear. Mine always come out tough that way. My favorite ways are direct over medium heat and they generally split but are still very juicy and tender. Another of my favorite ways is how you did them with a beer bath.

I gotta say though, I must try hawgheaven method. That looks incredible.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »
I don't think there is a right or wrong way. I typically sauté the veggies first then add the beer then add the brats to slow cook in it all. Sear them off when done and put back into the mix.
I've tried both ways and have to say that both ways are good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
I prefer mine indirect around a vortex

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »
IMO the only wrong way is deciding not to have brats. Lol. That said, it's always "chefs surprise" around these parts. What never seems to change is my onion bath game. I use a small DO and I brown off the onion first in half butter/half olive oil. I caramelize those onions and I make a TON of them.  I'm not so much of a fan of peppers with my brats - that is usually my Italian sausage game. So I spend a good 30-45 min caramelize those onions into a rich syrupy deep golden brown. After I hit that point, I add in my beer. I think you might want to try that-getting that caramelization on your onions and peppers before adding the beer. You'll caramelize the sugars in those veggies and add a lot of flavor. If you cook them from the start in beer, then you're boiling the onions. This isn't a bad thing :) I simply like the caramelize duchess flavor a lot and want to capture that.

Then I add my beer. Depending on how I am making the brats that day I either bath then sear, or sear then bath. If we are picnicking, I transfer the onions into a small disposable aluminum pan, add in my brats, cover with foil and chill. Then the whole shaboozie goes on the SJ to reheat and I pluck the brats out to sear.  This makes other picnickers and tailgaters drool with envy that they didn't think to make brats. :)

If I'm really firing on all cylinders, I made DO fried potatoes with onion, bell pepper and mushrooms to go with this.

If I am fortunate enough to have thought this through and planned for leftovers, everything gets packed together and put in the fridge. Then the next morning you pop the lid and skim a bit of that oniony beer brat flavored butter oil off the top and scramble your eggs in it, serving with a side of leftover pan-seared brat and beer braised onions. And a side of those potatoes that I selfish snuck out and put aside for She Who Did All The Shopping and Chopping and Damn Well Deserves Them, So Don't Even Dream Of Asking For Any.

Then ascend directly to heaven.

Damn, guess what I now have an insatiable craving for....

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:34:36 AM »
Wow! Now I am craving brats as well. Thanks @CarrieAnn

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:47:40 AM »
Carrie Ann, that is some grilling mastery you described there. I don't think my brain was ready for that type of tasty description yet. I'll have to save and re-read later and commit to memory.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Beer Brats
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »
Accidental post

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
Brats tonight!

ewstevens3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
IMO the only wrong way is deciding not to have brats. Lol. That said, it's always "chefs surprise" around these parts. What never seems to change is my onion bath game. I use a small DO and I brown off the onion first in half butter/half olive oil. I caramelize those onions and I make a TON of them.  I'm not so much of a fan of peppers with my brats - that is usually my Italian sausage game. So I spend a good 30-45 min caramelize those onions into a rich syrupy deep golden brown. After I hit that point, I add in my beer. I think you might want to try that-getting that caramelization on your onions and peppers before adding the beer. You'll caramelize the sugars in those veggies and add a lot of flavor. If you cook them from the start in beer, then you're boiling the onions. This isn't a bad thing :) I simply like the caramelize duchess flavor a lot and want to capture that.

Then I add my beer. Depending on how I am making the brats that day I either bath then sear, or sear then bath. If we are picnicking, I transfer the onions into a small disposable aluminum pan, add in my brats, cover with foil and chill. Then the whole shaboozie goes on the SJ to reheat and I pluck the brats out to sear.  This makes other picnickers and tailgaters drool with envy that they didn't think to make brats. :)

If I'm really firing on all cylinders, I made DO fried potatoes with onion, bell pepper and mushrooms to go with this.

If I am fortunate enough to have thought this through and planned for leftovers, everything gets packed together and put in the fridge. Then the next morning you pop the lid and skim a bit of that oniony beer brat flavored butter oil off the top and scramble your eggs in it, serving with a side of leftover pan-seared brat and beer braised onions. And a side of those potatoes that I selfish snuck out and put aside for She Who Did All The Shopping and Chopping and Damn Well Deserves Them, So Don't Even Dream Of Asking For Any.

Then ascend directly to heaven.

Damn, guess what I now have an insatiable craving for....

Carrie Ann,  After reading this entire post. ...twice, I've decided I must live this scenario out!!!  One Question:  What is a "DO"?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1x Blue 3rd Gen Performer (C&B "AU"), 1x Dark Green OKP (Lowes CUxxxxx), 1x Blue 2nd Gen Performer (origin...? "DR"), 1x Lime Green "Chariot" Seville ('81 B-Code, I think)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »
A Dutch Oven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.