Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Brats  (Read 3587 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Beer Brats
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »
You had me at super carmelized onion

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Black Dog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »
O.K., here's my 2 cents for what it's worth...  Some nice ways of cooking brats, by the way.

I feel that any time you are boiling food in a liquid you are not consuming [i.e. broth, soup, stew, chile], you are throwing away valuable flavor!  All that good loving flavor is being lost in the cooking liquid. 

I highly agree with the long caramelization of the onions and peppers.  That is some great flavors going on.  However, I would prefer to get my beer flavor by marinating the brats overnight in beer with some rosemary, sage, garlic, and onions. 

Get those brats nice and crispy on the grill and top them with those sweet, caramelized onions and peppers, on a soft potato bun and I'm in heaven... 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
I appreciate that post Black Dog. Next time I do brats I'll do an overnight marinade in beer instead of cooking them in the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
Reading this food lab article changed my approach forever. Guaranteed tender and the kraut comes out amazing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-food-lab-the-best-way-to-grill-sausages.html
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 05:58:48 AM »
Very good article. I'll try it out this weekend for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
I love beer and I love brats so this is a frequent cook for me.  I have tried all of the above methods but have to agree with @Black Dog about boiling. I also believe a lot of the original brat flavor is lost when boiling and they become too soft for my liking. 
May The Smoke Be With You!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »
I concur.. Boil?  Stay indoors.  I like getting a little smoke in there and then grilling the onions and peppers right on the grate.  Otherwise, why we all outdoors?
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Beachdude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
I'm pretty new to brats myself, but I like to lightly sear the brats first, then place them into a beer bath to simmer, not boil. Depending on my mood, I may add 'stuff' to the bath, such as onions, garlic, etc. I suggest to just try different methods till you find one that fits your tastes.