Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Burger Month Entry -- American "Classical" Hamburger  (Read 1262 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Burger Month Entry -- American "Classical" Hamburger
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:15:44 AM »
Great day for a cook  8)    All the family and friends that have been visiting finally headed back to their homes and Mrs Smoke'n Joe and I are on our own for Monday's cook.   Thought I'd take a couple of pics and share them with ya'll.

This ThrowDown I decided to pull together what we call the "Classic" Burger.  We usually have it on slow paced easy days.  This time Mrs SJ said she wanted Cuban Corn to go along as a side dish, and I wanted her to make her World Famous, Internationally Acclaimed Potato Salad.  We had an Accord ...

First up, select the kettles.  For the bacon and buns I chose my Forest Green OTS.

For the burgers and Cuban corn I went with my GoTo C&B Grass Green Performer (as usual)

These are some of the ingredients used in today's cook.   The Ancho Chile Powder and Cotija Cheese (on the right) didn't get into the pic very well  ...  must be shy.

Early prep work; slice and dice some condiments, trim and soak the corn for 1-2 hours in cool cool water.

Take the cobs out of the water and give them a nice little bow-tie to meet the grill :)

Form the patties.  Give them a dimple, pink salt, fresh ground pepper, and a shake of garlic powder.  I don't manhandle the meat so it maintains as much moisture as possible.   Went with 75/25 Market Trim so needs to cook to 165 F.

Now set up the coals in a pretty familiar pattern.  Need to cook the corn for 20-30 minutes and the burgers for 8-12 (depending on my ThermoPen)   I usually hold the corn to around 350 F, but since I standing there monitoring the cook I'm not to concerned about the fluctuations in temp ...

Time to start the bacon, love to use a CI skillet for this part.  Light layer of coal, it'll be perfect for the buns coming up next

Now for the buns;  one is spread with butter and one is spread with mayo.  Mrs SJ is pretty set on butter on her bread  ...

Let's get rolling on the main event.  Put the corn over the direct charcoal bin for about 6 minutes a side.  I'll do two sides then on the third quater turn rotation, we start the burgers.

Once the ThermoPen says the meat is ready, it gets positioned along the indirect side and the corn (now sporting a low rider belt to hold the outer cover together, it's going to end up as a handle for the corn).  I'll rotate and watch the corn until it gets a nice char'd look  ...

Finally, it's plate up time :)   The Cuban Corn is ready to get it's basting of Ancho Chili Sauce and coating of Cotija Cheese.  The sweet & spicy of the sauce works great against the saltyness of the cheese.

This was Mrs SJ's plate, she was done waiting for pictures  ...

One quick "under construction" shot of my Classic Burger and ...

Two final shots showing the interior.  I think I see a little pink in there, but maybe that's just me.  Took temp to 165 F, I swear to GoD.

Also a little avocado for the all the vegetarians watching this program.

Thanks for looking   ...   Smoke'n Joe (and Mrs Smoke'n Joe)

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Burger Month Entry -- American "Classical" Hamburger
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:17:40 AM »
amazing post and cook!  Very nice work.  I'd like to try a bite of that corn.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:50:57 AM »
Just absolutely perfect! Love that corn as well.
Man, this was a great year for entries. So many great burgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:08:11 AM »
Very nice!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:07:26 AM »
Looks delicious! Love that style of corn. Good thing it's close to lunch time...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Canadian Bacon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »

Oh ya....I could do a number on that plate of heaven.
Horizon Marshall RD Special Offset/Large BGE/Napoleon Gasser
22" Master Touch(Smoke) 2 Discada Cookers
Worlds Fastest Thermapens...Black and Blue

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
Awesome cook I agree we had some great cooks this year I think everyone is winner

Sent From My Weber Seeking Samsung

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
That's a fine-looking burger.

Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
That looks delicious! Nice work!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 02:45:40 AM »
Looks great Joe!
I was wondering when the defending champ would step into the ring [emoji3]
Avocado was a nice touch, and that corn too, all of it looks great!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »
@WNC

You sweet talker :)   Of course you realize that I'M NOT THE JUDGE ;D

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".