Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: help with smoke temp and time for flanken cut short ribs ..these are single ribs  (Read 3994 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
first time smoking flanken cut beef short ribs.. (this type of cut)

single rib , cut flanken style.. 2.5 inches..

so this is not a rack cut flanken style.. individual ribs cut flanken style...

im thinking 225-250 for 2.5 hours.. too long?  these are 2.5 inch bone cut with maybe 1-1.25 inch of meat on the bone..

anyone?
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
@greenweb .. have you smoked this short rib cut before?
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Look at this link & come back with which way it's cut....then I can probably tell better...

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-flanken-and-english-cut-short-ribs-word-of-mouth-215313

@toolhead
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
@1buckie  english cut...

But single ribs cut english style...so itll be a shorter cook time...

Think 2" by 2 inch with about 1 inch of meat on top of bone
Grills

Darko

• WKC Performer
They're ribs. Cook to around 195 internal and you won't go wrong IMO.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
@toolhead

They are beef ribs & even tho smaller, may take awhile......I'd try 260~275 for at least your 2-1/2 & see where you are......like Darko says, maybe test the temp at that point & see......bigger (short plate, full size) ribs might take as much as 6-7 hours & even if smaller they still have rendering to do.....assume 4 hr+.....be happy if it's less!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Thanks guys....this is good news..i tend to dislike short smokes...it seems less eventful
Grills

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Yup, Darko nailed it. Those puppies can take a long time... tough cut of meat. 195 is a good IT number.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
@toolhead

They are beef ribs & even tho smaller, may take awhile......I'd try 260~275 for at least your 2-1/2 & see where you are......like Darko says, maybe test the temp at that point & see......bigger (short plate, full size) ribs might take as much as 6-7 hours & even if smaller they still have rendering to do.....assume 4 hr+.....be happy if it's less!!!

For me, unlike pork ribs, it always took longer than expected.  What Ibuckie mentioned sounds perfect. Give it a plenty of time and that temp aroung 275 sounds right.

Check out Texas-Style BBQ Beef Short Rib Recipe section here. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/BBQ_beef_ribs.html  At 225f, they are expecting 2" thick meat to go as long as 10 hrs to get the meat to 203f IT.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Yup...that was right on target advice....high to mid 2o0s...got on the wsm removed at 5pm with IT of little over 200.

Tks...next time will leave more headroom but got in late yesterday from morning errands
Grills