Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time Smokenator user  (Read 3886 times)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Re: First time Smokenator user
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
Sure MacEggs, I needed to add more heat so after the Cherry Wood burned down I piled it along one side.

Then I placed the wrapped pork butt down on the lower grate to finish it off.  Decided to smoke some johnsonville brats with the Cherry wood.

They came out as good as ever but with a smokey flavor...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
It will make some Nice pulled pork sandwiches.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 03:53:35 PM »
I am so digging this!
Love the idea of not having to buy charcoal.
Can you give us anymore about burn times, temps, etc.?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
I'm impressed.  Great job.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »
That look delicious! Nice job man!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
Never have used (or seen) a smokenator...
But I love cooking with all wood...

Great post and some fine looking pork work...

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 04:32:07 AM »
Looking great! Must be nice to have an access to different wood for fuel and to smoke.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
Trust me.. It's easier to just pick up a bag, tear it open and pour briquettes into the chimney starter.
 I personally don't know anyone that cooks BBQ using pure wood around my area. I live in a highly residential area just 10 miles north of down town Milwaukee along Lake Michigan.  Growing up in South Texas I had access to seasoned Mesquite wood within arms reach year round.  I miss that part of outside cooking that I've  started to purchase local BBQ smoke wood from the surrounding area. My cost is $30 for about 120 pounds of seasoned split 16" long logs. It's not any cheaper than buying bags of charcoal since I need to burn so much of it.
  Right now I have about 200 pounds each of seasoned Cherry, Black Cherry, Red Oak, Sugar Maple, Silver Maple, Shag Bark Hickory and Red Delicious Apple wood.
  I have approx 3,000 pounds of Red and Golden Delicious Apple wood that I cut down last Fall drying that still needs to be processed.
  I also have a huge Pear Tree in my yard that needs to come down due to insect rot at the base. Hopefully it won't fall on its own before I can get to it this summer.
  I also buy the pre packaged wood chunks of Pecan and Mesquite since these two species of trees don't grow in this climate.

But having all this wood means having storage space for it. I'm lucky to own a large residential lot that is 94 feet wide X 400 feet deep. The back 1/4 acre is wooded and gets plenty of sun. This gives me plenty of space to stack wood out of sight.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
All wood...and your food does not taste like an ash tray at all....right? I find when I use too much wood it winds up dirtying up the food usually. How do you get away from this? Are you par burning your wood till it gets clean in a second Kettle? I used to do that for a real small stick burner I have but that got old fast.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:11 AM »
I'm wondering that too MrHoss. If I use too much wood the taste can be off putting.  A nice chunk or two till thin blue smoke. Then when it's all burnt up no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:14 AM »
He was burning it down to embers so my guess is it would be similar to using a lump with wood chunks. Wood cooked over a camp fire doesn't taste like an ash tray and from the look of his smoke it doesn't look like his was either. I wouldn't have any reservations using this method.

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 05:51:23 AM »
I absolutely love my smokenator that I got this past Christmas! For me, it's great for small cooks that don't require my WSM [emoji41]. My favorite meals on this baby would have to be chicken. Smoked chicken wings cooked at 275-300 with the smokenator turn out amazing.

Jesse Robinson

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
Ok so to try this get wood splits and run 2 kettles? One for pre-burning and one for cooking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »
That pork turned out having a mild flavor. The smoke flavor was not overpowering and you could still taste the rub spices I used. Usually this is how I prepare pulled pork for my in laws. They have superior taste buds and most of my BBQ is too smokey for them, except my Cherry Wood Smoked pulled pork or Apple wood smoked. So I know it depends on what wood one uses.

I don't add any BBQ sauce to my finished smoked pork and serve any sauce on the side.

I do burn the split logs down to embers and have use an open fire pit, then shovel in the hot coals into the kettle. I also just remove the kettle lid and let the logs burn down for 30-45 minutes at times. Once I cover the kettle she will smoke out till the remaining unburned wood  gets spent. They she will settle out to an even thin blue smoke. That's the time to add the meat if your not looking for a huge smoke flavor.

Yes it is extra work to burn up the split wood or if you decide to transfer it from another designated burn area. It's a labor of love I guess. Just like those that prefer to mix their own spices verses buying pre packaged BBQ rubs.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
Yeah I've seen this technique done before on tv down south. Not weber's but same concept. They had an area that they constantly burned the wood down than shoveled the embers into the pit. I'm not necessarily looking for easy and convenient. I just like playing with fire and meat so I will have to try this sometime. Sounds like a good way to spend more time in my pit area. I always like that.