Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nothing New.....Just Some Pork & Beans.........  (Read 8828 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Nothing New.....Just Some Pork & Beans.........
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:23:20 AM »
  Last Sunday of the month rolled around & we were forecast for fairly heavy rain that day...I figgered, I already got some stuff, so I can cook Sat nite & just drop off some stuff for a lot less people showing up, maybe a good sized batch of leftovers..................

RAIN............. ALL SATURDAY NITE.............even the dogs wouldn't go out in it, they just peeked around the corner of the house like: " Damn Silly Sumbitch is standin' out there gettin' all wet?  Not Me !!!"

Action Shots..........
Pork shoulder (or Boston Meat Hunk, or whatever they've decided to call it now....) lofted out for the bean pan.........

Beans in @ 12:30 in the AM............charcoal's burning like crazy as it has to keep up with all the moisture that has to be cooked off also......

Next AM......Rain subsides & after almost 15 hours, we've got very moist pork.........

So I foil, toweled & hot-held these two butts & drove around & visited, dropping off pork, beans & slaw as I went.......

Went over so well with Mom & my brother (who's been sick with somrething after getting back from two weeks scuba in the Phillipenes) that I thought I'd do it all over again yesterday.............

Four shoulders..........

The one all the way in the back is just holding in foil, no foil during the cook; I tried that Trader Joe's charcoal & it burned pretty hot & fast &  stuff got done quiker than expected................

Three pans of beans.............

Red bells, onion, gran. garlic & a big dollop of honey...........

This why I 'crown' them.... fat just melts all thru & around & flavors the piece & the beans below really well.....

I got a call from the daughter of my mom's good friend & neighbor after I got home......
She said that she's been trying to get her ma to eat something, anything, lately & that she's just not got much of an appetite ( this lady & my ma are some of the few of the parents left in the old neighborhood & her neighbor's not been doing too good lately ) 

Anyway, her daughter says "Mom chowed so hard on that stuff !!! Esp. the beans, she LOVED the beans !!! she hasn't eaten that  much in months !!!!"

Good  to know that a Weber can fix all kinds of problems.......... ;D

PS: forgot to mention, I made up 12 pounds of Deep Fried Potato salad, also..........
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:13:22 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

wolgast

• Smokey Joe
Re: Nothing New.....Just Some Pork & Beans.........
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
Thats how we roll!...Freaking awesome!

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:57 AM »
Looks grate those pork drippin beans are on my list for the next shoulder.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:33:15 AM »
Nice work! Please post your complete drip bean method. I'm doing them soon and want them to come out like yours.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
  It's pretty easy, Mr. Duke.....

This time I used canned pintos, canned baby black beans, spread evenly amongst the pans, then a heavy sprinkle of granulated garlic, small diced sweet onion & red bell pepper & a BIG blob of honey...........

If the Boston Meat Hunk cooks for, say, 12 hours, then cook for 3 hours, then pull the grate & pork out, add in the pan & stew them for 4 ~ 5 hours, pull & hold 'till the pork finishes........

That way, the pork drops it's best juice, during that timing......

If dried beans are used, I'll soak for say, 2~3 hours, boil for a short time ( no SALT, that will toughen the skin of the beans) then simmer for another hour.....pan & add what you like, cook per above.................

Some folks add celery & other kinds of peppers, maybe for heat, you can put in other creative additions, maple syrup perhaps, crisped up bacon, ham chunks, leftover pulled pork.......

The pork will dump a BUNCH of liquid, so just be prepared to ladle 'some' of it out so your beans aren't too soupy......... ;D

I also double up on the pans to make it easier to handle sloshy stuff.......

PS: One more thing.....If it's canned beans, I rinse them pretty well before panning up.......
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:00:11 AM by 1buckie »

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
Pretty awesome!  I love the helping of your friends and neighbors.  We never know who we will impact or how with acts of kindness! 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
I have always wondered if you can put dry beans straight in there.  With liquid of course.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »

On the way back from" The Blue Mastertouch" escapade, I took the lady over another ( mostly full ) pan of the beans, with some sausage chunks added in...... she was pretty happy about that..............She's a retired nurse & has been fixing & patching people on our end of the street for 40 years.....the VERY least I could do........ ;D

I've never tried them from dry, but that might be an experiment......just load them in & run for the whole 13 hour cook & see what happens????
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:15:57 AM by 1buckie »

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »
Simply amazing, Buckie!! You are the man!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
Pullin this up so i can find it this weekend , gonna do some of these beans !

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 02:49:17 AM »

Go for it, thery're great !!!
One thing I got reminded of on last Sunday, use sweet white onion......I used red/purple & Vidalias
& the batch turned kinda tart & almost sour after cooking..............
If pork, go sweet, brown sugar, honey, even careful addition of agave.....

Have Fun !!!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »

Go for it, thery're great !!!
One thing I got reminded of on last Sunday, use sweet white onion......I used red/purple & Vidalias
& the batch turned kinda tart & almost sour after cooking..............
If pork, go sweet, brown sugar, honey, even careful addition of agave.....

Have Fun !!!!

Back from the dead but this cook was awesome! Glad to have seen it again. Buckie, is it just me or are your kettle minions getting more colorful?

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »

"Buckie, is it just me or are your kettle minions getting more colorful?"

Red 18 from neighbor on one side, 18 directly opposite,  neighbor on other side, Red lid from FIF ( found in field ) riding on Mae Belle until her lid gets fixed,two Redheads behind fence are the Corn'n'Tater & Skewer rack Twins, Copper paint job, with rib bone handle can be seen way back in the patio......nobody in the pic is very new...............
Oh, and hunter green lid, sort of back right, riding on Tommy while the bell gets fixed.....

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

"Buckie, is it just me or are your kettle minions getting more colorful?"

Red 18 from neighbor on one side, 18 directly opposite,  neighbor on other side, Red lid from FIF ( found in field ) riding on Mae Belle until her lid gets fixed,two Redheads behind fence are the Corn'n'Tater & Skewer rack Twins, Copper paint job, with rib bone handle can be seen way back in the patio......nobody in the pic is very new...............
Oh, and hunter green lid, sort of back right, riding on Tommy while the bell gets fixed.....

Didn't realize all your grills were named! Kudos!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 06:26:47 AM »
Awesome cook as usual and I love the Buckie Beans as well as the story.