Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's your favorite accessory?  (Read 13499 times)

unometooo

• Smokey Joe
What's your favorite accessory?
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »
First post, new member here.  I just picked up my first Kettle on a heck of a deal Labor day clearance. I've used it a couple of times already and absolutely love it.  My poor gas grill is going to get dusty, well except for the side burner, it is a great chimney starter.  I watch a lot of YT videos and discovered the Slow N' Sear and jumped on that too, should have it in a couple of days.  I hate the attention that my offset smoker requires and I usually only smoke one or two racks of baby backs at a time.  I think the Slow N' Sear will make my offset dusty too.  Things I still want are cast iron grates, maybe the EZ smoker, and possibly a vortex.  So my question for you guys is, what is your absolute favorite kettle accessory? 

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: What's your favorite accessory?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 12:02:40 PM »
Gotta be my Thermapen. Nothing comes close to the accuracy or speed.

Welcome to the club. Where are you from?
Retired

unometooo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »

Stockbridge, GA, Thanks for the reply, I do need to get an instant read thermometer.  I do have the Maverick 733, but its not really practical for grilling, great for smoking.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
I use the heck out of my Weber mini chimney. Most cooks I just need to add 15-20 briqs to whatever's left in my baskets from the time before, and the mini chimney is perfect.

I also usually get the briqs heated up and then toss a chunk of wood on top of the chimney just before they're fully ashed over to get it charred before dumping in the baskets. It gets me to the "thin blue line" faster.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
Hello from Il, bud. My favorite accessory is a rotisserie, but an instant read thermometer is hands down your best investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »
Probably the Maverick is my favorite.....it's a game-changer if you're using analog therms.
I would take this over my Thermapen because it's the bee's knees for fire control and charcoal cooking is all about fire control.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
Slow 'n Sear .. my absolute favorite .. followed by the Vortex.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 03:52:26 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself. Went though a few instant reads, before @pbe gummi bear let me steal one of his. Number one tool after the kettle itself.
Still need a 22” yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »
I don't really understand the attraction to the Thermapen. It is pretty expensive. I use an OXO meat thermometer. I get a reading in 15-20 seconds. I guess my question is is the Thermapen really worth what it costs? What makes it so great? Not putting it down, just curious if I should really add it to the wish list or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
What's your favorite accessory?
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »
I don't really understand the attraction to the Thermapen. It is pretty expensive. I use an OXO meat thermometer. I get a reading in 15-20 seconds. I guess my question is is the Thermapen really worth what it costs? What makes it so great? Not putting it down, just curious if I should really add it to the wish list or not.

A quick read thermometer is important to get an accurate read on the internal temperature of any particular meat. If you get a reading 15-20 seconds after inserting the probe while the lid of your grill is open, the meat loses internal heat and then you're not getting a very accurate reading...especially your thinner cuts of meat like a steak or chop. Also your hand won't be getting a 15-20 second sear over the open grill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 05:55:52 PM by Bustin Butt »
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »
My favorite accessories are the slow N sear, rotisserie kit, rotisserie basket and the vortex ...not in any particular order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »
Makes sense. Didn't even think about losing all the heat.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »

Double
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:19:01 AM by DirectDrive »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 06:28:45 PM »

You're not even in the game with a spot-check therm that takes 15-20 sec to register.

Two scenarios....
Let's say you are cooking a bunch of chicken drumsticks, thighs, etc.
You can buzz around, stab each one and get a quick read on each individual piece.

How 'bout a large cut like a Boston Butt...
You can get the precise internal core temp as you stab into the cut.
You will see the temp rise, settle and then rise again as the probe moves through.

Do not doubt the Thermapen....it rules.

If'n yer too cheap too buy one yourself, put it on your Christmas wish list.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:30:52 PM by DirectDrive »

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
I love my thermopop. Same mfg as the thermapen. 2-3 seconds longer read out time vs thermapen but 1/4 the price. Otherwise the roti is my favorite accessory.