Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's your favorite accessory?  (Read 13498 times)

unometooo

• Smokey Joe
Re: What's your favorite accessory?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
I hate to confuse the matter with practicality, but maybe you should try cooking a few things before deciding what gadget will enable you to do it better?  You may surprise yourself at how little you actually need.
That is a valid point. With that being said, I like toys, gadgets, accessories, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

unometooo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »

Christmas is September!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »
Still need a 22” yellow

droptrd

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 07:06:12 AM »
This is the thermometer I use and had it for 2 yrs. and if you got amazon prime it's 24.99

https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-Javelin-Digital-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_1/152-9670714-9447101?ie=UTF8&qid=1473802750&sr=8-1&keywords=javelin+thermometer
I have two of these.     And I picked up the javelin pro about 10-12 months ago.    I love it.

bigpun123

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
Slow n sear is my favorite accessory, use it all the time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2016, 05:41:21 PM »
Gotta be my Thermapen. Nothing comes close to the accuracy or speed.

Welcome to the club. Where are you from?
Same here. It's my single most used accessory.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 05:42:04 PM »

Stockbridge, GA, Thanks for the reply, I do need to get an instant read thermometer.  I do have the Maverick 733, but its not really practical for grilling, great for smoking.
I'm in Stockbridge too! What's the chance of that? Lol

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »
@unometooo Hello from Melrose Park, IL Welcome to the club!

My favorite accessory is my KettlePizza. I use this a lot!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »
This is the thermometer I use and had it for 2 yrs. and if you got amazon prime it's 24.99

https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-Javelin-Digital-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_1/152-9670714-9447101?ie=UTF8&qid=1473802750&sr=8-1&keywords=javelin+thermometer

Me too!  My Javelin works great and gives just as quick of a readout as the Thermopens...maybe 1 second longer, but that's it.

And honestly, I'm not sure if the question here is what is your favorite or what is your most used accessory.  You can do a lot of different cooking styles with little to no accessories, then as you figure out what kind of cooks you do the most you can upgrade your accessories to match your cook types.

Most Used:
Chimney - every single cook

Maverick 733 or my 732 - almost every cook.  I even use it for reverse searing.  That way I know the temperature of my steaks at all times and don't have to bother with my instant read thermo.

Charcoal baskets - was almost every cook until I got a vortex and slow-n-sear.  With baskets you can do most of the things these other accessories do.  Once you determine you are going to do a lot of specialize cooking, like slow-n-low smoking, super hot wings, etc, then you can start acquiring the more expensive accessories for these kinds of cooks.

Lighter Cubes - I generally use the gas assist on my performer whether I am using that grill or not, but the cubes are great for when my propane runs out or the performer is already in use and I am firing up a second grill or need to get some coals going to add to an already lit grill.
Weber gourmet grate system -  It's heavier duty than the other grate options until you get to the cast iron ones.  Allows you to flip up the sides to add more coals, and gives you a lot of fun options for the center. 

Favorites: (ordered by frequency of usage)
Slow-n-sear -  great for reverse searing, indirect cooking, hot and fast cooking, give tons of space for slow-n-low smoking

Kettle Pizza -  Once you get this accessory dialed in you will be a pizza cooking fool!!!!

Vortex - Makes really good wings!  Baskets do the job almost as well but for the low cost of the vortex it's worth it!

Javelin instant read thermo - I really only use this when I am not using my Maverick.  I will use it when smoking larger chunks of meat for checking multiple places even though I have a Maverick probe in the meat already.

Rotisserie -  This is probably my least use accessory right now since I mainly use it for whole chickens which I cook 1-2 times a month.  Despite limited usage I would not give up my roto! 

Other things I have and use a lot:
Ove Gloves -  The first time you have to remove your cooking great while the grill is hot or warm you will quickly see how a good pair of heat resistant gloves can make life a lot easier.  Mine are the mid arm version, so I use them a lot when cooking wings with my vortex so I don't burn all of the hair off of my arms.

IR Thermometer - Quick way to check the temp of my pizza stone, a cast iron skillet, etc.

Maverick Tip Top Temp -  this is a newer accessory and I love it.  I don't need it and can keep my grill at a consistent slow-n-low temp without it, but it is nice to have it in action and feel like I can leave to run an errand without having to worry about what my grill is doing.

Weber Compact Chimney  -  I use this to start coals when smoking slow-n-low and only need to light 10-15 coals.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:43:09 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

unometooo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »

Stockbridge, GA, Thanks for the reply, I do need to get an instant read thermometer.  I do have the Maverick 733, but its not really practical for grilling, great for smoking.

Cool, I live right off Fairview Rd.

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »

Cool, I live right off Fairview Rd.
I'm off of 42

William_Cannon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »
Maverick 733 for my WSM.
Thermapen for my Genesis or Kettle.  And yes a 3 sec read is worth the money.  Catch an open box sale if you are strapped.

Tapa

dmbrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2016, 06:23:14 AM »
In no particular order:

Thermapen
Fireplace gloves (charcoal chimney/grate management)
Heat resistant rubber gloves (for taking off ribs, pork shoulders, briskets, turkeys and basically all larger items)
Extra large cutting/carvings board
Sharp carving knife and heavy meat cleaver

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2016, 06:41:24 AM »
Everyone knows I'm staunchly anti-gadget, however lately I have fallen in love with using my cast iron chapa (griddle) in conjunction with the stock kettle for an incredible variety of cooking options.  The goddess also brought me home a gift yesterday of a cordeirite grilling stone which I'm looking forward to playing with.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Baysidebob

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
I don't really understand the attraction to the Thermapen. It is pretty expensive. I use an OXO meat thermometer. I get a reading in 15-20 seconds. I guess my question is is the Thermapen really worth what it costs? What makes it so great? Not putting it down, just curious if I should really add it to the wish list or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

You're not even in the game with a spot-check therm that takes 15-20 sec to register.

I love my Thermapen BUT if you have the slow one for now put the tip in the vent and bring it to target temp.  Then open the lid and stick it in.  In less than 5 seconds it will be at the temp of your meat.