Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vent starts point/snake or indirect heat 4 whole chicken?  (Read 4927 times)

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
Vent starts point/snake or indirect heat 4 whole chicken?
« on: May 19, 2016, 06:56:45 PM »
So im gonna start using my 22.5" Master Touch kettle to smoke ribs low and slow as well as a whole chicken. Im thinking i'll use the snake method for both but need a starting point for my vents to get the temp to settle at 225F.

I'll be using Royal Oak brickets for the snake and after reading a lot of posts I'll be starting with the top vent wide open and try to regulate the temp with the bottom vents.

What I need to know is where to start with the bottom vent so I dont go over 225F as I would rather creep up to 225 rather than having to try to bring the temp down to the target temp.

Do I start the bottom vent 1/4 open or more or what would you folks suggest?

Which would be better for a whole chicken? Snake or coal on either side of kettle with chicken in the middle(indirect heat)?

Sent from my Grizzly 700 somewhere in the Canadian wilderness.
Weber One Touch smoke.
Weber Q.
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Kentexan

• Happy Cooker
Re: Vent starts point/snake or indirect heat 4 whole chicken?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:19:24 PM »
I'm pretty new at this, but I tried ribs last week.  Got a digital thermometer to monitor temp.  Bottom vents were less than a fourth open.  I ended up closing the top vents about halfway.  Worked out pretty well.  I'd say my average temp was probably about 235 over 6 hours, I think range was probably 210 or 215 to about 260.  I used some cheap bricks from Home Depot to keep the coals on one side, basically a snake with bricks barricading.  They were about $2 a piece.  Also had a water pan underneath the ribs. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
I pretty much start mine out the same. Top open, bottom cracked to about the first or second hole on the ash catcher. That's about 1/4, little less.

I monitor with digital probe at grate level and start adjusting the top when it gets creeps up to 200ish, depending on the temp I'm wanting to achieve for the cook.

When it's settled in, the slightest and I mean slightest adjustment can dial it up or take it down 20 degrees or so. Actually pretty cool how little adjustment it takes.

Take pics and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:56:20 AM »
This is great advice. I too have to adjust my top vent to achieve 225°, as long as you get thin blue smoke you're okay, if it is white smoke, then you may have to think of cooking a bit hotter. Nothing wrong with 275°.

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
Any idea how many coals to start with on either side?

Weber Master Touch smoke.
Weber Q.
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 02:02:26 PM »
10-12 on one side

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:56:24 PM by Travis »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
Any idea how many coals to start with on either side?

Weber Q.
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

For the snake , 2-4 well ignited per side will get you going and get your temp up to as well
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 02:13:23 PM »
If your using a OTS for the 225 -275 range I like about a coins thickness of opening to keep that temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:36 PM »
On my copper 22 I use a 2x2 snake of KBB.  I start my snake with eight lit brickets.  I have both top and bottom vents wide open.  Once it gets to temp it will stay locked in at 250 degrees.  I can get it to burn for seven hours. 
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 02:52:39 AM »
curious why you want to cook a bird at 225* unless you like rubbery skin?

If it were me I would cut the bird "Leaping Frog style" http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2009/06/leaping-frog-chicken.html

and either bank the coals to one side - or baskets on both sides bird over a drip pan.

Take a Sharpie and make increment marks on the ash can assembly that correspond to your One-touch vent openings. Top vent open 100%.

The Leaping Frog cut is kind of nice for this setup, because the breasts usually take longer to cook  and all you have to do is pierce the backbone and remove the dark meat so nothing overcooks.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 05:16:34 AM »
I am used to smoking everything at 225F in my upright master forge smoker but have decided I will do the dual charcoal banks in the weber baskets probably more at 250F to 300F.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Weber Q.
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 05:26:34 AM »
I use a 2/1 snake in my 22, 2/2 is always to hot for me and I'm tinkering with the vents to often. I start with 12 lit and vents 1/2 top and bottom.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
@swamprb. I'm definitely going to try that leap frog method out. First I've ever heard of it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:20:29 AM by Travis »

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 01:12:49 PM »
And so it begins!

Weber Q.
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
Interesting so far.

Started out with 12 coals on each side but the temp wasn't reaching 330 F so I added four more on each side and a bit later some lump coal. It's levelled out at 350F with top and bottom vents open 100%.

I've learned why it's important to use wood chunks instead of wood chips as I'm having to replenish the chips about every half hour which means lifting the lid and loosing heat.

Weber Q.
Weber Smokey Joe Gold