Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Costco prime grade steaks and brisket  (Read 4481 times)

Kentexan

• Happy Cooker
Costco prime grade steaks and brisket
« on: May 19, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »
In Northern KY, we just got a new Costco and I joined for the first time.  They have a lot of prime grade beef.  I noticed their whole briskets are labeled prime and sell for a lot less than Kroger brisket, which I think is choice.   If I remember correctly, I think they are around 15 lbs average and something like $50 compared to $90 something at Kroger.   I read on another site that their prime grade for their beef is questionable because it comes from Mexico and not subject to the same standards.  Does anyone have any experience buying their beef at Costco?

I'm hoping to smoke my first brisket on Memorial Day weekend and will probably get it from Costco at that price. 

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Costco prime grade steaks and brisket
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »
I buy a good amount of beef from Costco. I usually buy the choice grade. I have no complaints.
A standard is a standard, if it's graded, I can't see how they say it's something it isn't. But People have been deceived before by major corporations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
I always thought "grade" was based on USA standards. Be something to look into though. God, don't you just love saying it...U.S.A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentexan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »
Travis, I was a little confused by that too.  I'll have to find the article I found and post a link.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:05:17 AM »
I always buy from Costco myself and the Prime brisket is great. Here is one thing to keep in mind. Beef is graded at the ribeye. I hope this is okay to post this link and here is the quote that describes the grading process. The whole carcass is not graded, so the brisket may vary from one prime carcass to another.

"Marbling (intramuscular fat) is the intermingling or dispersion of fat within the lean. Graders evaluate the amount and distribution of marbling in the ribeye muscle at the cut surface after the carcass has been ribbed between the 12th and 13th ribs. Degree of marbling is the primary determination of quality grade."

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
Costco's prime brisket is an AMAZING deal.  I made it once before joining WKC.  It was really good...not great, but that was more my doing than the meat's fault.  If you want to buy brisket you should do it at Costco.  I've been meaning to do it again, but the price and time commitment with brisket keep scaring me away (even though it is a good deal). 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:38:30 AM »
Here's an example of what you can do with a Costco Prime Brisket. I did a dry rub corning of the brisket and smoke it on the 2003 Gold that I sold to my neighbor. I have a metal insert for my kettle that covers the bottom and creates a charcoal wall that I placed a pan on to catch the drippings.

Halfway through the cook.

Sliced and tasty.

The reason my neighbor bought my 2003 kettle was the fact that he ate some of this pastrami. He looked at me and said, "This is brisket?" I said, "Well, technically I guess, its pastrami." He responded by saying, "This is the best brisket I have ever had." So go for the prime, its a great way to start a meal for sure, a nice chunk of fatty meat that will melt in your mouth.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
I always buy from Costco myself and the Prime brisket is great. Here is one thing to keep in mind. Beef is graded at the ribeye. I hope this is okay to post this link and here is the quote that describes the grading process. The whole carcass is not graded, so the brisket may vary from one prime carcass to another.

"Marbling (intramuscular fat) is the intermingling or dispersion of fat within the lean. Graders evaluate the amount and distribution of marbling in the ribeye muscle at the cut surface after the carcass has been ribbed between the 12th and 13th ribs. Degree of marbling is the primary determination of quality grade."

Thanks for that link man. That's a good read.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 06:16:07 PM »
Does anyone have any experience buying their beef at Costco?

Quote from: Jason
YES, and I have been very satisfied.

I was in Costco earlier this week and saw that USDA Prime Brisket was $2.79lb. My last two beef purchases were at Costco. A pair of Prime Tri-Tips and a Prime, full packer, Brisket.

Here is a link to my most recent brisket cook.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:19:40 PM by Jason »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 07:39:11 PM »

While it's true that only the spot between the 12th and 13th rib is graded, the rest of the cuts from that cow will be similar in quality.   You aren't going to get a select grade brisket on a Prime graded cow. 

Costco's "Prime" beef is indeed USDA Prime.