Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow'N'Sear Review  (Read 16428 times)

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Re: Slow'N'Sear Review
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »
Curious what the volume of the charcoal chamber is, particularly compared to the standard weber charcoal basket (is it the same amount of charcoal as two full baskets?)... But I'll take it any way I can get it, infact... ABC if you know the cubic inches, that would be amazing...

CAD software came back with 333 in^3
lol. Its POURING outside so I'm not doing much. Looked at your website and made a couple guesses and drew the rough shape up and came up with 340ci... good job me, I'll take being off by 3%.
Basket is something like 114ci so like 3 baskets.

Thanks for checking.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »
Curious what the volume of the charcoal chamber is, particularly compared to the standard weber charcoal basket (is it the same amount of charcoal as two full baskets?)... But I'll take it any way I can get it, infact... ABC if you know the cubic inches, that would be amazing...

lol. Its POURING outside so I'm not doing much. Looked at your website and made a couple guesses and drew the rough shape up and came up with 340ci... good job me, I'll take being off by 3%.

Thanks for checking.

Sure thing.  I'm a little curious why you wanted to do this comparison.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 12:46:37 PM »

Thanks for checking.

Sure thing.  I'm a little curious why you wanted to do this comparison.
Part simply curiosity out of how big it is, part because I often just cook for myself and typically just fill up a single basket of charcoal. On my Jumbo Joe a full basket touched the cooking grate which was nice. Was curious how much more coal it would take to fill the thing up to the brim. Not a huge issue since I usually end up shutting it all down at the end and re-using the left over coal (that's why I say mostly out of curiosity).

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »
@MeatAndPotatos - You could probably trace the coal section of the SNS and have a metal plate cut out with a little handle welded onto it so you could snuff it out really quick. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
Part simply curiosity out of how big it is, part because I often just cook for myself and typically just fill up a single basket of charcoal. On my Jumbo Joe a full basket touched the cooking grate which was nice. Was curious how much more coal it would take to fill the thing up to the brim. Not a huge issue since I usually end up shutting it all down at the end and re-using the left over coal (that's why I say mostly out of curiosity).

For what its worth, when I did the side-by-side chicken cook I only used a single baskets worth of coals (on both grills).
The grill with banked coals (no basket) wasn't hot enough to sizzle the chicken.
The grill with the slow'n sear still had enough high heat to sear both chickens.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »
@MeatAndPotatos - You could probably trace the coal section of the SNS and have a metal plate cut out with a little handle welded onto it so you could snuff it out really quick.

Or just close the lid and vents.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
@Troy - Very true, but a damper to put on the SNS would be even faster!  Why not go ahead and mod the latest and greatest kettle toy already??!!!!!!  @ABCbarbecue - I want 3% of all SNS coal bin snuffers if you start producing them!  LOL
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
Although to update my previous thoughts...a coal snuffer would involved taking the grate off which means and extended period of the coals getting tons of air, so maybe it wasn't a practical idea.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 01:32:44 PM »
Well we're thinking about a griddle to fit the SnS. Maybe that will work as a snuffer as well!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »
You want fast snuff? Keep dry ice handy, drop a chunk in there over the coals when you're done.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
You want fast snuff? Keep dry ice handy, drop a chunk in there over the coals when you're done.
I just hose mine down with the dry powder ABC extinguisher every time...
(no I don't... Don't do this. That shit burns your lungs, and probably tastes pretty bad)

Just closing down all the vents works fine, its what I have always done. The small capacity of the baskets IS kinda nice but not a huge deal. Its like what I do with my WSM, shake some of the ash loose then top off and relight and your good. I pretty much only use lump anyways.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 04:13:36 PM »

Just closing down all the vents works fine, its what I have always done. The small capacity of the baskets IS kinda nice but not a huge deal. Its like what I do with my WSM, shake some of the ash loose then top off and relight and your good. I pretty much only use lump anyways.

The Slow 'N Sear will give you a very hot fire and sear zone with only 1/3 basket of coals.  You don't have to use a whole basket.  When do use a whole basket it's easy to close the vents and re-use the leftover coals another day.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 10:38:09 AM »
Wow that was fast! I ordered the Slow & Sear on Monday and received it today (Wednesday). Can't wait to try it.
May The Smoke Be With You!

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 12:52:20 PM »
Wow that was fast! I ordered the Slow & Sear on Monday and received it today (Wednesday). Can't wait to try it.

Awesome!  Once you've tried it and love it we'd really, really, super duper appreciate an Amazon Review.  They really help.  We're literally a mom and pop so we rely on folks like you to help us get the word out.